£20 Broken R9 290 Worth It?

TechMasterMind
9 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK so basically I'm wondering if it looks to you guys like I can repair and use this R9 290. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/owe-gil?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754

Thanks a million for any response.

You could try giving it a good clean. But really might be a much more serious problem then u just wasted time an 20 pounds. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Do you have any experience in repairing video cards? The only thing that I would know to do if it isn't displaying video would be to use the bake method and hopefully re-flow the solder. I would venture to say though that the seller has likely already tried this before he decided to sell it so inexpensively. 

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

1 minute ago, afyeung said:

You could try giving it a good clean. But really might be a much more serious problem then u just wasted time an 20 pounds. 

We have been running into each other a lot in the GPU section! lol... How did you like that Pascal launch this evening?

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

1 minute ago, jonathan13 said:

We have been running into each other a lot in the GPU section! lol... How did you like that Pascal launch this evening?

Really lived up to my expectations which is great. A nice bump over the 980Ti for less money. But the real card I'm interested in is the 1070 which is more within my price range. I'll be waiting for Polaris to release first thought to make my decision. But from the looks of it, I'll be saving around $300 for better performance than a Titan X :) Buttery smooth 1440p here I come 

1 minute ago, afyeung said:

Really lived up to my expectations which is great. A nice bump over the 980Ti for less money. But the real card I'm interested in is the 1070 which is more within my price range. I'll be waiting for Polaris to release first thought to make my decision. But from the looks of it, I'll be saving around $300 for better performance than a Titan X :) Buttery smooth 1440p here I come 

I was text messaging a friend, giving him play by play of the stream since he was unable to watch. I had just sent a message that said "I have to get the 1080, blah blah blah", and as soon as I sent it, they started talking about the 1070 and then the price and I immediately messaged my friend again and said, "nevermind, I'll be picking up the 970."

I really want to wait for Polaris as well, but there is just something about being one of the early adopters that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. hahaha 

7 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

I was text messaging a friend, giving him play by play of the stream since he was unable to watch. I had just sent a message that said "I have to get the 1080, blah blah blah", and as soon as I sent it, they started talking about the 1070 and then the price and I immediately messaged my friend again and said, "nevermind, I'll be picking up the 970."

I really want to wait for Polaris as well, but there is just something about being one of the early adopters that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. hahaha 

I actually like AMD drivers and I'm used to AMD lol. I'll have to wait though. I'm counting on MSI to make a super cool looking card

16 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Ok thanks dude.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

10 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Ok thanks dude.

No problem. Check out Linus' video when he repaired a video card by baking it. Pretty neat that it worked for him, but no guarantee it would work with all non-working cards.

Depends on the name brand some of companies can send it in for warranty without receipt its not over 3 year warranty yet. r9 290 came out in September 2013.