OC Stability testing

What tools are people using to test an overclock for stability these days? Prime 95?

It's been a few years since I did it, but Scrapyard Wars inspired me to bump my 2500K back up to 4.4GHz :)

Don't use Prime95, newer versions push the processor so hard it actually damages it (outside of what overclocking in general does). If you can I believe the free version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition allows you to do stress testing. Also ASUS's realbench is a good CPU stress tester.

besides the ones mentioned above,

I use IntelBurnTest - it tends to more often and quicker find instability than any other, at least in my experience 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

oh... I didn't read carefully into that previous reply....

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Don't use Prime95, newer versions push the processor so hard it actually damages it (outside of what overclocking in general does). If you can I believe the free version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition allows you to do stress testing. Also ASUS's realbench is a good CPU stress tester.

stop spreading rumors, Prime95 doesn't damage processors, neither the newer version nor the older version, especially since Sandy Bridge doesn't have AVX2 instruction set - that's completely irrelevant in this case specifically, but it's not true in other cases either....

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

22 minutes ago, DXMember said:

besides the ones mentioned above,

I use IntelBurnTest - it tends to more often and quicker find instability than any other, at least in my experience 

What settings are you using on Intel Burn Test, and how long do you run the test?

11 minutes ago, Napalm Death said:

What settings are you using on Intel Burn Test, and how long do you run the test?

usually standard is good enough for quick and dirty stress test

if you are fine-tuning your final overclock then set it to like 6GB memory and do like 20~30 runs, should take about an hour or something

if it passes then I'd say it's good enough

I love IntelBurnTest because it does cyclic load on the CPU, meaning it has high stress and idle sections in it and the transitions are what cause the crashes most of the time

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

usually standard is good enough for quick and dirty stress test

if you are fine-tuning your final overclock then set it to max memory and do like 20 runs, should take about an hour or something

if it passes then I'd say it's good enough

I love IntelBurnTest because it does cyclic load on the CPU, meaning it has high stress and idle sections in it and the transitions are what cause the crashes most of the time

Thanks!

11 hours ago, DXMember said:

oh... I didn't read carefully into that previous reply....

stop spreading rumors, Prime95 doesn't damage processors, neither the newer version nor the older version, especially since Sandy Bridge doesn't have AVX2 instruction set - that's completely irrelevant in this case specifically, but it's not true in other cases either....

Lets say you're right and I'm wrong. I'd still rather not chance it. Buy a brand new expensive chip, you already wanna decrease it's life expectancy by overclocking it well I don't want to chance decreasing it even further if there's any chance a program can push it too hard. Besides there's plenty of other stress test programs out there to choose from, I'd just rather play it safe. So I'm telling him what I know out of concern not ignorance.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Lets say you're right and I'm wrong. I'd still rather not chance it. Buy a brand new expensive chip, you already wanna decrease it's life expectancy by overclocking it well I don't want to chance decreasing it even further if there's any chance a program can push it too hard. Besides there's plenty of other stress test programs out there to choose from, I'd just rather play it safe. So I'm telling him what I know out of concern not ignorance.

you're worrying too much