X79 Sabertooth not booting, dead?

Hey guys,

So i purchased my pc last july and had it running perfectly with a simple watercooling loop and a single GPU. I had it running for 5 months give or take and i just finally got around to finishing it today. I had each part working previously, but after countless hours of modding and watercooling i went to turn on my computer to conveniently find out that it doesn't work. Nothing seems to happen when I push the power button, the fans DONT even turn on for a split second. Everything is connected correctly, i have cleared CMOS, tried booting with a single GPU and single RAM module, i have swapped the PSU's around and i am still unsuccessful! The only thing that seems to be working is the green LED on the motherboard. I am starting to think that the motherboard is dead, any thoughts?

RIG

Asus X79 sabertooth

2x Sapphire 7970 OC edition (both watercooled)

Corsair AX850

Shitty 8gig corsair ram 2x4 @ 1333

bitfenix shinobi

Intel 330 120GB ssd

Seagate barracuda 1TB

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

*UPDATE*

So i unplugged both of the graphics cards from the PSU to find out that my computer will boot up (have no graphic output because graphics cards aren't powered). My AX850 use to be able to power these cards so voltage shouldnt be a problem. I put a 7770 into a pci slot to see whether it would work and funnily enough i did, but when ever i power one of my 7970's the system will automatically turn off and not boot up. Ideas?

I take it that it'll be too much trouble to remove it and test bench it?

all i can suggest is proccess of elimination, think back to when it worked and when it didn't see if you made any changes, software, hardware, or even so much as touched it, as you said you was finishing it off?? you could have damaged it by shorting it out (static) or water cooling.

next i would remove as much components as possible, and if needs be take it out of the case and sit it on a cardboard box or something and bench test it, try seeing if there is power to the board. and does it smell? like burnt out electrics?

could be something like bad cables and connections.

so many things to try and test out, keep us updated.

got to love Asus components

Is the power button connected correctly? You might of put it in the wrong pins. Try to turn it on manually with a screwdriver touching the power button pins on the motherboard.(The one you connect the power switch cable to.

Is the power button connected correctly? You might of put it in the wrong pins. Try to turn it on manually with a screwdriver touching the power button pins on the motherboard.(The one you connect the power switch cable to.
already tried, no luck though

Water cooled 7970's - system boots fine with another card, but not with either of those? Well... sounds like that is your issue - but what exactly? Have you had the cards working at all since you put the water blocks on them? Sounds like you have an issue there. Either both cards are dead (unlikely) or you have installed the block incorrectly and maybe something is being shorted out? Only real way to test, as much of a pain as it is, pull of the water block, put back the air cooler on one and test.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Water cooled 7970's - system boots fine with another card, but not with either of those? Well... sounds like that is your issue - but what exactly? Have you had the cards working at all since you put the water blocks on them? Sounds like you have an issue there. Either both cards are dead (unlikely) or you have installed the block incorrectly and maybe something is being shorted out? Only real way to test, as much of a pain as it is, pull of the water block, put back the air cooler on one and test.
Thats going to be my plan for today, thanks :)

After reading your update, something came to my mind, it could be a driver issue, if you did an update or windows did an auto update??

I would check if you can get to safe mode i would put the computer back to a few days before it went down (system restore)

You have a motherboard green light, i think it would like driver problem or something has been shorted out causing a crash.

if you have an old graphics card (non water cooled) block off your water cooling or put in a bi-pass from where it went into you graphics card and test it again.

hope that helps

got to love Asus components

From my maths your power supply it under rated by about 100 watts you want around 1000 watt power supply. Roughly Assuming you have 1 water pump, a couple of 120mm fans in there. I used Thermaltake power supply calculator to check this it recommend 960watt power supply at 90% load when the computer boots it loads most things up to max. So if you could list your complete rig it maybe be of some help. Working out the true power usage but i would assume you try to use too much power for the psu

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz