Do I need to OC my CPU for 2400mhz ram?

Alright guys looking at going to 4k gaming, I use 1600mhz 16GB ram atm, looking to move up to 2400mhz as I have seen some benchmarks on this site off people and a few websites that show it improves minimum framerates by quite a bit sometimes, do I need to OC my i7 4790k? using a Gigabyte Gaming 5, if so how much by? never saw the point in OC for now as it doesn't make much difference in offline, plus the i7 was on sale at the time for the price of the i5, before anyone asks why I got the K version, thanks

3 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

Last time I checked, you must OC the RAM in order to OC the RAM. Not the CPU. 

No, I mean will 2400mhz slot in my mobo and work straight away? it says 2400mhz OC and I thought you needed to OC your cpu so it can run with a higher frequency than your mobo can handle stock, I remember reading about people needing to OC their cpu as the xmp profile wouldn't work

no, just enable XMP

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, ledwaan said:

No, I mean will 2400mhz slot in my mobo and work straight away? it says 2400mhz OC and I thought you needed to OC your cpu so it can run with a higher frequency than your mobo can handle stock, I remember reading about people needing to OC their cpu as the xmp profile wouldn't work

Or, you could just OC your current RAM kit. "2400mhz RAM" is nothing more than regular RAM that the manufacturer found to be stable at those clocks. You can very well get your 1600mhz kit and easily OC it to 1866mhz - in fact, you should even be able to achieve 2133 without much trouble.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Or, you could just OC your current RAM kit. "2400mhz RAM" is nothing more than regular RAM that the manufacturer found to be stable at those clocks. You can very well get your 1600mhz kit and easily OC it to 1866mhz - in fact, you should even be able to achieve 2133 without much trouble.

Do you have any good guides to OC my ram? and it's definately as stable as those other sticks you mentioned, without burning my mobo out? sounds good

3 minutes ago, ledwaan said:

Do you have any good guides to OC my ram?

I think this will do...

4 minutes ago, ledwaan said:

and it's definately as stable as those other sticks you mentioned, without burning my mobo out?

While stability depends on your luck, forget this BS about mobo burning. I wouldn't even have recommended manual OCing it if such risk existed. in the first place.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Actually I'll check google, thanks man