FingerFood for thought

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/2/11540962/iphone-samsung-fingerprint-duplicate-hack-security

Above is a clickbaity article that I don't like whatsoever, in fact don't even read it, it's just the source of my inquiry. 

The article starts out by talking about how easy it is to spoof someones fingerprint to get into their phone.  It goes on to tell you it's only that easy if the person with the fingerprint is physically present and willing to put their finger in a clay mold for replication.  This whole intro is stupid on the surface but does help solidify a valid point that I've never really thought about.  Main takeaway from the article, what if someone has access to the public's fingerprints and can replicate them to remotely login to people's devices?

I've always thought of biometric's as an extremely secure alternative, but now it seems unsettling to me.  What do you guys think?

-TidaLWaveZ

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Well as long as our fingerprint isn't our credit card, i don't really care, i dont have that much private stuff on my phone

I don't have much on my mobile devices either. What troubles me about this is that it's another free opportunity for government surveillance.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't have much on my mobile devices either. What troubles me about this is that it's another free opportunity for government surveillance.

I don't understand what the paranoia about goverment surveillance is, they already do it...

Just now, Aytex said:

I don't understand what the paranoia about goverment surveillance is, they already do it...

I know but it just grows and grows as time passes on.  First it's just listening in/recording phone calls, then add their ability to to remotely access anyone's computer at anytime, now add the ability to access any device that's security is based on Biometric Scanning which I've always praised for being so secure.

I just think there's no end to it and eventually we'll be under total surveillance(even more than we are now if that's possible) at all times. 

15 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I thought that the mold was just the proof of concept, and that the worry was EXACTLY what you're talking about. Is that not the case?

"Biometrics" are a massive range of technologies. Fingerprint is probably the least secure among them.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I thought that the mold was just the proof of concept, and that the worry was EXACTLY what you're talking about. Is that not the case?

"Biometrics" are a massive range of technologies. Fingerprint is probably the least secure among them.

Yes, I'm not trying to take credit for coming up with the idea myself(the article brought it to my attention).  I just refuse to not criticize an article that draws me in with a misleading title, so I tried to give it as little credit as possible.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Is it really that clickbaity or misleading? The mold is just a proof of concept, and what you stated is the ultimate worry. I guess it isn't the biggest vulnerability yet, but it easily has the potential to be.

10 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Is it really that clickbaity or misleading? The mold is just a proof of concept, and what you stated is the ultimate worry. I guess it isn't the biggest vulnerability yet, but it easily has the potential to be.

It's not nearly as bad (clickbaity/Misleading) as others and fingerprint security does have the potential to be a vulnerability.

In this instance I see "Your phones biggest vulnerability is your fingerprint" and then I read "We were just completely speculating the possibility of agencies with access to public fingerprints being able to access the public's phone if fingerprint scanning becomes standard"

The title bothers me because it's telling me that my phone's biggest vulnerability is my fingerprint when that's truly not the case for me or anybody right now(IMO).  I'd assume a large amount of users don't use fingerprint scanners(I don't). I'm probably over-criticizing this instance due to prior bad experiences, but I'm so tired of articles saying things(the title) to bother/anger/scare/etc. you into reading an article that doesn't live up to it's claims.

I understand this is journalism and a way to get views, but I just don't like it.

I prefer my good 'ol passcodes, but the way technology and security seems to be developing, that "takes too long to type in" and now we need quicker possibly more insecure ways to protect our stuff.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I prefer my good 'ol passcodes, but the way technology and security seems to be developing, that "takes too long to type in" and now we need quicker possibly more insecure ways to protect our stuff.

I've never had my own device that uses a fingerprint scanner.  I'd assume it would be more convenient and it seemed like a pretty secure alternative to me until now.

We need some good voice recognition or maybe a way to inexpensively produce retinal scanners.