SSDs and Raid Card for $140

Tmt97
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,
1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

Well that's too bad that there's no noticeable difference... I see where your coming from then. What would you recommend for a boot drive then, since you say I can get the same speed for $40? If that's true, I'd rather do that and spend the rest of the money on something else. I don't want to dump all the money I have to upgrade my PC on this, if i'm not gonna get any extra speed out of it. 

I'd probably go with the 120gb Adata SP550, it uses TLC flash, which doesn't have quite as good endurance as MLC flash, but it should still easily last 500TB+ of writes. Or the 120gb Adata XPG SX930 and getting MLC flash. 

/Assuming you're in the US 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I will bet $500 you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between an 850 Evo and two cheaper SSDs.

You can boot off on-board RAID, but it's an awful idea. As is going with two smaller drives.

Why does it matter if i'm going with smaller drives if i'm only putting windows on it? I fail to understand why a windows 10 install needs 480gb...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Why does it matter if i'm going with smaller drives if i'm only putting windows on it? I fail to understand why a windows 10 install needs 480gb...

Well, firstly because you can get rid of the "collection" of HDDs you have. Secondly, you can get a single 120gb drive (well, 250gb drives tend to be the performance sweet spot) and just save the money rather than wasting your time with multiple drives providing you with extra space you so clearly don't even want. 

Enoughs enough. Clearly you have money to burn and you don't want to take anyone's advice. So go to ebay, and buy a bunch of cheap crap and hope for the best. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

How's an SSD not fast enough? Comparing HDD vs SSD performance isn't something you can properly do. The difference is night and day.

The harddrive might do 'fine' when it comes to large file transfers. But the SSD will destroy the HDD in everything, spite that. And if you're not happy with the performance from a single SSD, then return it and buy two smaller ones and put them in a RAID. But this is still not something I would recommend doing.

I wasnt comparing an HDD to an SSD. I already know an SSD will run circles around it, I was saying that a single SSD is still not fast enough for me, not that I'd rather keep a HDD(eww). So yea, as long as theres no reason I can't put two smaller SSD's in on-board raid 0, I think I'm going with that as my boot drive. Thanks to all of you for helping me figure out I didn't need a raid card, probably saved me money there. :D 

edit:

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, firstly because you can get rid of the "collection" of HDDs you have. Secondly, you can get a single 120gb drive (well, 250gb drives tend to be the performance sweet spot) and just save the money rather than wasting your time with multiple drives providing you with extra space you so clearly don't even want. 

Enoughs enough. Clearly you have money to burn and you don't want to take anyone's advice. So go to ebay, and buy a bunch of cheap crap and hope for the best. 

@djdwosk97

yea unfortunately 120gb, or even 480 gb isn't gonna be anywhere near enough to replace my collection of HDDs... I just don't have anywhere near the amount of money id need to replace that with an SSD. Hence why I keep saying I'm just looking for the way I can boot windows fastest for $140... I'm perfectly willing to take advice if you know a way I can do that faster than two SSD's in raid 0, but so far all you've wanted to do is try to convince me I need a higher capacity SSD which really isn't gonna help for what I'm trying to do.(unless im missing something?) You say 240gb drives are the performance sweetspot? Why is this? Would a single 240gb SSD somehow be faster than multiple lower capacity SSDs in raid 0? Just trying to learn here.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

@Tmt97 I'm not suggesting going with a single big ssd (I only said that in one post). But it's silly to spend $140 when you literally won't ever notice a difference than if you just spent $40. But you seemed insistent on spending all $140, so at that point you'd be better off with a bigger ssd and getting faster loading times in your most played games. Unless you literally sit there with a stopwatch you want notice any difference between SSDs when it comes time to boot. 

120gb drives tend to have worse read/write (especially write) speeds when compared to anything over (and including) 250gb, which tends to be fairly similar in terms of read/writes. Although that only really makes a difference under heavy I/O loads (heavy rendering, copying data to/from another equally fast drive, etc...). 

I boot off of three drives on frequent basis: a 250gb 840 Evo, a 256gb crucial m4 (that's three years old), and a 60gb corsair LS. I literally can't tell them apart unless I sit there and time it (and even then the delta is within margins of error). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@Tmt97 I'm not suggesting going with a single big ssd (I only said that in one post). But it's silly to spend $140 when you literally won't ever notice a difference than if you just spent $40. But you seemed insistent on spending all $140, so at that point you'd be better off with a bigger ssd and getting faster loading times in your most played games. Unless you literally sit there with a stopwatch you want notice any difference between SSDs when it comes time to boot. 

120gb drives tend to have worse read/write (especially write) speeds when compared to anything over (and including) 250gb, which tends to be fairly similar in terms of read/writes. Although that only really makes a difference under heavy I/O loads (heavy rendering, copying data to/from another equally fast drive, etc...). 

I boot off of three drives on frequent basis: a 250gb 840 Evo, a 256gb crucial m4 (that's three years old), and a 60gb corsair LS. I literally can't tell them apart unless I sit there and time it (and even then the delta is within margins of error). 

Well that's too bad that there's no noticeable difference... I see where your coming from then. What would you recommend for a boot drive then, since you say I can get the same speed for $40? If that's true, I'd rather do that and spend the rest of the money on something else. I don't want to dump all the money I have to upgrade my PC on this, if i'm not gonna get any extra speed out of it. 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

I'd probably go with the 120gb Adata SP550, it uses TLC flash, which doesn't have quite as good endurance as MLC flash, but it should still easily last 500TB+ of writes. Or the 120gb Adata XPG SX930 and getting MLC flash. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Thanks!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!