SSDs and Raid Card for $140

Tmt97
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,
1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

Well that's too bad that there's no noticeable difference... I see where your coming from then. What would you recommend for a boot drive then, since you say I can get the same speed for $40? If that's true, I'd rather do that and spend the rest of the money on something else. I don't want to dump all the money I have to upgrade my PC on this, if i'm not gonna get any extra speed out of it. 

I'd probably go with the 120gb Adata SP550, it uses TLC flash, which doesn't have quite as good endurance as MLC flash, but it should still easily last 500TB+ of writes. Or the 120gb Adata XPG SX930 and getting MLC flash. 

/Assuming you're in the US 

Ok, so I'm upgrading my PC's storage(currently a bunch of random HDDs) and I'm looking for advice for what SSDs and raid card to get for $140? I really know nothing about raid cards so I have no clue how to pick one.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

well raid cards are usually hundreds or thousands of dollars...

for $140 you can barely even get ONE good SSD...

just get an 850 evo and you dont need a raid card

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

well raid cards are usually hundreds or thousands of dollars...

for $140 you can barely even get ONE good SSD...

just get an 850 evo and you dont need a raid card

Thought I did need a raid card if I wanted to have a raid setup?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

What kind of RAID do you want and why? 

Good RAID cards are very expensive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

What kind of RAID do you want and why? 

Good RAID cards are very expensive. 

Wanted to put two low capacity SSDs in raid 0 to put just my operating system on, and keep the rest of my storage on other drives. Figured that way i'm avoiding most of the danger of a raid 0 setup, as worst case scenario I only have to reinstall the OS if the shit hits the fan(which I really don't mind doing for the potential speed boost I'd be getting).

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You can just do a simple on-board RAID if you REALLY want raid.

But I generally just run a single larger SSD. For $150 (only $10 more than $140) you can get a single 850 Evo, 500GB. That's probably what I would do.

Wanted to put two low capacity SSDs in raid 0 to put just my operating system on, and keep the rest of my storage on other drives. Figured that way i'm avoiding most of the danger of a raid 0 setup, as worst case scenario I only have to reinstall the OS if the shit hits the fan(which I really don't mind doing for the potential speed boost I'd be getting).

You're better off with a single larger SSD. You don't gain anything noticeable by putting an OS on a RAID 0 array. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

are you a content creator? is that why you need raid 0?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

You can just do a simple on-board RAID if you REALLY want raid.

But I generally just run a single larger SSD. For $150 (only $10 more than $140) you can get a single 850 Evo, 500GB. That's probably what I would do.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're better off with a single larger SSD.

Single larger SSD isnt going to be as fast though is it? I really value speed way more than the amount of storage space. As long as it can hold windows, I'm good. How would onboard raid work then? 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Single larger SSD isnt going to be as fast though is it? I really value speed way more than the amount of storage space. As long as it can hold windows, I'm good. How would onboard raid work then? 

The reason an SSD feels fast is because it has a very low latency, not because it has fast read/write speeds. So even a shitty modern SSD will seem super fast. The reason you would want to have a RAID 0 array for SSDs is to increase the read/write speed if you're doing something I/O intensive (like rendering a 4k stream/extremely intensive CAD/etc...), in which case you MAY benefit from the higher throughput.

Most motherboards have support for RAID 0/1, but if anything goes wrong (power failure, slight hiccup with the relatively poor onboard raid controller, etc...) and the array is going to be trashed. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

are you a content creator? is that why you need raid 0?

It's more that I'm just irrationally obsessed with speed XD, kinda like some people are willing to sacrifice a lot in their build due to an obsession with getting it completely silent. I just want windows to load as fast as I can possibly get it to with a budget of $140...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It's more that I'm just irrationally obsessed with speed XD, kinda like some people are willing to sacrifice a lot in their build due to an obsession with getting it completely silent. I just want windows to load as fast as I can possibly get it to with a budget of $140...

then buy an NVME ssd, dont do raid

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Get a single SSD. end of story. 

A high end PCIE SSD would be better than multiple shitty SATA SSDs, but even then, you won't notice a difference. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

A single SSD will still be good enough. I would have said "Go with NVMe instead of RAID", but your system doesn't support it as far as I know. I'd only really suggest RAID for those who want redundant storage.

Edit: And since you're just using a random bunch of harddrives, you will notice a MASSIVE different moving over to an SSD.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Get a single SSD. end of story. 

A high end PCIE SSD would be better than multiple shitty SATA SSDs, but even then, you won't notice a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

then buy an NVME ssd, dont do raid

Is there an NVME ssd you would suggest for a budget of $140?

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The reason an SSD feels fast is because it has a very low latency, not because it has fast read/write speeds. So even a shitty modern SSD will seem super fast. The reason you would want to have a RAID 0 array for SSDs is to increase the read/write speed if you're doing something I/O intensive (like rendering a 4k stream/extremely intensive CAD/etc...), in which case you MAY benefit from the higher throughput. 

Most motherboards have support for RAID 0/1, but if anything goes wrong (power failure, slight hiccup with the relatively poor onboard raid controller, etc...) and the array is going to be trashed. 

If the array is trashed would that break the SSDs themselves? or would the data on them just be lost? I'm fine wiping the drives and reinstalling windows in case of a hiccup from the raid controler if thats all it takes. I'm not wanting to put my main storage on it, just windows 10, so no real danger of data loss...

Edited by Tmt97

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Is there an NVME ssd you would suggest for a budget of $140?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Internal-MZ-V5P512BW/dp/B01639694M

its worth the extra $40

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Erm... welp unfortunately the extra $40 doesn't exist in my wallet so yea... Also I just realized I think I need something to adapt NVME to PCIe or something, since I don't have that port on my mobo...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Erm... welp unfortunately the extra $40 doesn't exist in my wallet so yea... Also I just realized I think I need something to adapt NVME to PCIe or something, since I don't have that port on my mobo...

Motherboard will also need support the NVMe standard from what I know.

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

You will be able to use the drive as an additional drive, but not as a boot media AFAIK.

Edit: I'm afraid that I'm correct. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3pw7ki/nvme_in_amd_systems/

14 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

You will be able to use the drive as an additional drive, but not as a boot media AFAIK.

Edit: I'm afraid that I'm correct. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3pw7ki/nvme_in_amd_systems/

Well that sucks... Welp, unless someone has an idea for how I can get better speeds than a single sata SSD I guess I'm back to square one: finding a cheap raid controller and two cheap SSDs.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

38 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I guess I'm back to square one: finding a cheap raid controller and two cheap SSDs.

Buy a single SSD....You literally won't notice a difference. But you avoid all the pitfalls of RAID.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Buy a single SSD....

Its just not fast enough xD Can I boot from on-board raid maybe?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

I will bet $500 you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between an 850 Evo and two cheaper SSDs.

You can boot off on-board RAID, but it's an awful idea. As is going with two smaller drives.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

How's an SSD not fast enough? Comparing HDD vs SSD performance isn't something you can properly do. The difference is night and day.

The harddrive might do 'fine' when it comes to large file transfers. But the SSD will destroy the HDD in everything, spite that. And if you're not happy with the performance from a single SSD, then return it and buy two smaller ones and put them in a RAID. But this is still not something I would recommend doing.