Oil Cooling /Aquairum PC?

hatycat

Not sure, if this is the right board for this, it was either this or water cooling, but.

Has anyone tried an Mineral Oil cooling? what are their thoughts on it? At first I heard Puget kits started at $250, but I checked and their current model is $550, and they no longer sell the cheaper model. Orignally for $250(plus coolant) I was thinking of putting in my hackintosh/ubuntu rig, which is really just for aesthetics, I would do mild(if any) overclocks. But $550 is still in my price range for my main rig, but then I'm looking sheer performance, and for $550 I can put in a serious waterloop. Anyway I was wondering how an oil cooling kit compares to an equivantly priced Watercooling loop. As well as I heard they make your parts quite slimely, I don't really care if it feels slimey, but I'm curious as to how this impacts upgrading. And finally I was wondering if it was possible to get my hands on one of the older cheaper kits, or easy enough, to make my own kit fo my hackintosh rig?

I wouldn't advise mineral cooling you computer if you are a frequent upgrader, I would recommend it for a secondary computer, like a Hackintosh or a Linux box like you mentioned. As it truly is terrible when you come to mess with it.

Current Rig:

Case: CM Storm Mid Tower | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V CPU: Intel i7 (1155) 2600k @ 3.4GHz | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU:  XFX HD Radeon XXX DD 6870 | Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX  | Power Suply: OCZ 1000W  |  Boot Drive: 2 x WD Raptors 300GB in Raid 0 | Storage: Samsung SpinPoint T3 1TB | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit 

Project Zero (In Progress)

Case: Silverstone TJ07 I Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 Gaming | CPU: Intel i5-4570k | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU: 2X MSI R9 290X 4GB (x-fire) Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Cooling: Custom loop (cpu+gpu's)

#killedmywife

Regarding Mineral Oil cooling:

there was a linustechtips video featureing slicks PC.

there you go

Problems:

- Error-search if something goes wrong (can be tricky because of the oil)

- switch components (the old hardware is verry hard to clean)

- general nasty

- if the oil isn't able to transfer enough heat to the air surroinding the case you need to shut down your pc for some hours if it gets too hot (since it takes some time for the oil to cool down)

Pretty sure you just need a fish-tank, and a crap load of mineral oil.

I have heard that the performance you get from it is minimal, especially compared to a custom water-loop.

As for slime and upgrade-ability, if you want to change a part, you have to take it out and let it dry for weeks before switching components.

All said and done, its not really worth it unless you really like the look, and have some money to blow.

Here is

!

okay, you've talked me out of it for my main rig. But i might still build my own for my other build, I figuire I can buy the mobo tray and then just cut an aquarium, put it in and cock it, but I imagine I'd need a pump? and what could i do for my Power button, usb ports and harddrive enclosure?

okay, you've talked me out of it for my main rig. But i might still build my own for my other build, I figuire I can buy the mobo tray and then just cut an aquarium, put it in and cock it, but I imagine I'd need a pump? and what could i do for my Power button, usb ports and harddrive enclosure?
Yes, you need a pump, to circulate the oil through a rad