Will a fridge magnet screw up my computer?

Go to solution Solved by deadaccount69,

Won't cause any problems whatsoever. I was running an old system with a giant speaker stuck directly to the ide hard drive. The system had no problems, although come to think of it I did occasionally install programs only to have them missing on the next boot. But that was because the system installation was buggy anyway. (This was Linux BTW) even after I removed the magnet it still had strange issues. This was a very old system. Agp graphics card and all. The build log is still on here. I'll try and find a link.

I have a couple of fridge magnets that I would like to put on my computer and I was wondering whether it would screw up my hard drive? 

No, it won't screw anything up. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as you don't put it on the harddrive, it should be fine.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Won't cause any problems whatsoever. I was running an old system with a giant speaker stuck directly to the ide hard drive. The system had no problems, although come to think of it I did occasionally install programs only to have them missing on the next boot. But that was because the system installation was buggy anyway. (This was Linux BTW) even after I removed the magnet it still had strange issues. This was a very old system. Agp graphics card and all. The build log is still on here. I'll try and find a link.

24 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

I have a couple of fridge magnets that I would like to put on my computer and I was wondering whether it would screw up my hard drive? 

Unless you put them on your hard drive(s) nothing will happen.

10 minutes ago, partypanda64 said:

Unless you put them on your hard drive(s) nothing will happen.

A fridge magnet won't do any harm regardless of where it is. There's a super strong neodymium magnet in the hard drive and you think a weak fridge magnet will do anything?

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

A fridge magnet won't do any harm regardless of where it is. There's a super strong neodymium magnet in the hard drive and you think a weak fridge magnet will do anything?

if it's an old spinning one it might get messed up, that's what killed my old hard drive.

1 minute ago, partypanda64 said:

if it's an old spinning one it might get messed up, that's what killed my old hard drive.

Did you see my previous post?

2 minutes ago, partypanda64 said:

All hard drives have spinning platters.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch