The (Small) Move - A log of moving my computer resale business and opening a retail store

I run a business refurbishing reselling computers - mainly Macs (Macs - yeah, I know, let the hate begin... but before hating read the bottom of the post).  

I started doing this a couple years ago, and it has grown into a successful business.  Last fall I rented out a small office since I was out of space to run this from home.  Even at the office, I was out of space before I had even finished moving everything in.  Then a couple months ago, I looked on craigslist and found a place for rent the next town over, over four times the size for the same rent cost.  I jumped on it, and started to move everything over.  

This will be a log of everything I have to do, for both your enjoyment, and so that I can look back and see the progress that’s been made. 

It will cover a build log of a server, running ethernet and setting up network, building walls, knocking down walls, putting in doors, and a bunch of other cool stuff.  Mods, if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

First thing's first, here’s a few pics of the old 600 square foot office, just before moving everything out:

0317161143a.jpg

0317161144b.jpg

When I moved in, there was no ethernet pre-wired, so I had to run lines back to the storage closet.  I ran ten lines for computers, another four for security cameras, and one more for an Xclaim Xi-3 AP mounted to the ceiling.

It was nice but as you can see, the storage room in back was full.  Like really full.  No room on any shelves, and I also had a 10ft x 10ft storage unit filled as high as you could reach with cases and parts.  All that work running ethernet and painting for nothing...

0317161148d.jpg

So I found this place:

0318161724.jpg

2,500 square feet vs 600 square feet for the same rent? Deal!

This place has enough room for a storage and workspace in back, and retail in front.  

0318161724a.jpg

0318161726.jpg

0318161728.jpg

A bit dated looking, but nothing I can't fix.  I'll be adding a wall across the whole place to divide it off, another wall to make an office, and knocking down the useless changing rooms that are right in the middle of where the retail space will be.  I can add a pic of what the layout will be after it's all done.

I haven't taken updated pics, but everything is currently moved over, and the old place is empty while I find someone else to rent it out.  It was basically a MONTH of moving and organizing lots of inventory.

The past few days have been demo - pretty fun knocking down the old walls.  I'll be adding more pics tomorrow!

0428162025.jpg

So on the agenda for this week is:

• Get rid of construction waste from knocking down wall
  • Pick up steel studs and a door from the store, along with tools, screws, etc.
  • Start putting up the walls
  • Build log of server (Haswell-E based server, running unraid or ESXi, which will run several virtual machines to handle security cams, file storage, Mac OS in a VM, and Untangle as a network filter)
  • Normal business stuff

About what I do:

I buy computers and refurbish them.  Mainly Macs.  I started my own business with basically $100, originally manufacturing my own rapid fire mods for Xbox 360 controllers while still in high school.

Why Macs?  

Consistent hardware and software - good luck putting a fresh install on a PC, imaging that hard drive onto another, then putting it into another PC without a BSOD.  Mac hardware is usually more consistent across models, and I can get a fresh install onto a machine, regardless of model, in less than fifteen minutes.  And they have a much, much lower depreciation rate.  Apple advertises Macs as being fun and PCs as being boring.  Personally, I view them the exact opposite - Macs are limited by Apple's dumb restrictions, and they pay my bills... but PC is where the fun is.  I have built many, many PCs and have a high-end gaming PC.

Other random stuff:  I use Windows 10 on my gaming desktop, have an Android phone (LG V10)  - NOT an iPhone - and Moto 360.  I'm 22, I live in the USA.

imaging that hard drive onto another, then putting it into another PC without a BSOD.

pfft

used the same install on z97 z87 x79 x58 and am2 no BSODs with igpu amd gpu and nvidia gpu

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

11 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

pfft

used the same install on z97 z87 x79 x58 and am2 no BSODs with igpu amd gpu and nvidia gpu

That's awesome you were able to do that without any issues.  The other concern is licensing - which isn't a concern with Apple's products since the computer is licensed no matter what.  With reselling PCs, many sheeple think "OMG what if my copy of windows is pirated" since resold PCs typically don't come with a COA or license key - even when I receive them.  Which means either selling the computer with an un-activated and un-licensed 30-day evaluation copy of Windows (bad experience for the customer), Linux (like what Free Geek does), a copy of Windows after running Windows Loader or something similar (Illegal), or making the customer pay extra for a copy of Windows even though it originally was licensed from the factory but is now missing (again, a bad experience for the customer).  It just takes that headache away and makes the overall customer experience better.

Just now, TheMorphinator said:

That's awesome you were able to do that without any issues.  The other concern is licensing - which isn't a concern with Apple's products since the computer is licensed no matter what.  With reselling PCs, many sheeple think "OMG what if my copy of windows is pirated" since resold PCs typically don't come with a COA or license key - even when I receive them.  Which means either selling the computer with an un-activated and un-licensed 30-day evaluation copy of Windows (bad experience for the customer), Linux (like what Free Geek does), a copy of Windows after running Windows Loader or something similar (Illegal), or making the customer pay extra for a copy of Windows even though it originally was licensed from the factory but is now missing (again, a bad experience for the customer).  It just takes that headache away and makes the overall customer experience better.

Absolutely. I would never image one computer with different specs to any of the companies I contract to unless they are all standard, wouldn't trust it for anything.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.