better cpu or gpu?

okay so my friend was telling me that I should invest more money in a cpu than the gpu for my build. is that true? I was planning on getting a i5 4690k and the EVGA GTX 970 SC but if i am going to need to get a better gpu than cpu than i would get maybe a low end i7 and a lower priced gpu. my budget for these two is about $530 and here is the build i have planned, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqsMGX, I have already bought the case, motherboard, ram, power supply, and the SSD.

3 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

okay so my friend was telling me that I should invest more money in a cpu than the gpu for my build. is that true? I was planning on getting a i5 4690k and the EVGA GTX 970 SC but if i am going to need to get a better gpu than cpu than i would get maybe a low end i7 and a lower priced gpu. my budget for these two is about $530 and here is the build i have planned, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqsMGX, I have already bought the case, motherboard, ram, power supply, and the SSD.

What is this for?

Just now, g12601 said:

What is this for?

my computer im building

1 minute ago, safarihunter said:

my computer im building

As in is this for gaming or something else?

1 minute ago, safarihunter said:

my computer im building

I think he means, what are you using the computer for? Gaming, video editing, internet box, etc...

Just now, g12601 said:

As in is this for gaming or something else?

oh yes sorry i will be mainly gaming and a miniscule amount of video editing

Generally the GPU should actually cost as much or more for the best possible gaming performance, but the other way of looking at it is spend a little more on a CPU now that will last, since GPUs can be changes easily but CPUs typically lock you in to a certain set of CPU, RAM, and motherboard, which all together can be more expensive to replace/upgrade.  Still, don't overpay now just to try and "future proof" things though... that never pays off :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

my computer im building

He means are you going to use the computer as gaming machine or for editing ?

if it gaming then the i5 is enough if it editing then the i7 would be better

9 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

but if i am going to need to get a better gpu than cpu than i would get maybe a low end i7 and a lower priced gpu.

i think you mixed up gpua nd cpu there

coz i read 3 times and still confused

if you want a decent cpu and remain the gpu, how bout the xeon 1231 v3? cant be overclocked so the single thread performance will be lower, but multithreaded wise, it'll win

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

Ok...

1) If this is for gaming you do not need a i7 

2) Check your parts list, you have to sets of dual channel ram, mix/max does not usually work.

CPU's are a "better investment" they really havent changed much in the past several years, and based on intels recent press reports improving performance doesn't seem to be a priority.  So buy a good CPU and it will last you.

GPU's are not a great investment.  Every year they seem to get bigger and better, and nothing short of a 980Ti will play next years game at full res...  So why go heavy on something that will be out dated in 3 months?

Looking back...  in 2011 the 2600K and the Radeon HD 6990 were the flagship products.    The 980Ti is something like 4-5 times as fast and the 6700k is like 1.5 times as fast....    I would be rocking a 2600k if I had one, not so sure about a HD 6990

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

2 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

oh yes sorry i will be mainly gaming and a miniscule amount of video editing

Figure out what the budget for your build is. Research the GPUs on the market and identify the one that best fits your use case. Once that's done, figure out which exact GPU (manufacturer and version) you're going to buy, subject to change based upon sales, etc. After you know which GPU you're buying, craft the rest of your build around it. That's how I'd do a gaming build.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, ryanmmax said:

CPU's are a "better investment" they really havent changed much in the past several years, and based on intels recent press reports improving performance doesn't seem to be a priority.  So buy a good CPU and it will last you.

GPU's are not a great investment.  Every year they seem to get bigger and better, and nothing short of a 980Ti will play next years game at full res...  So why go heavy on something that will be out dated in 3 months?

then which CPU would you recommend for my build?

If you want it to last a bit longer and don't need Nvidia for some specific application, consider stretching your budget a bit and grabbing 4790k and 390 instead.

With DX12 the 390 has been shown to perform better than the 970 not to mention twice the VRAM, and DX12 loves more threads. In DX11 a 970 (especially overclocked) at 1080p or lower will probably see an advantage though.

5800X3D @ -30 CO - Noctua NH-C14S - MSI B450I - Zotac GTX 1080ti Accelero Xtreme - Ballistix 32gb @ 3800 CL16 - 660p 2tb - EVGA 650 GM

If you're the type like me who bought an i5 and kept thinking the whole time that it could be better with an i7 then I would go i7.