how do i tell if this computer uses 32 bit or 64 bit windpws xp

Legolessed

i got this old computer running a celeron 1.6 ghz duel core processor and wanted to know if it was running 32 bit or 64 bit windows. i cant figure out where it says. i have never used windows xp before and my first impressions are not great but i need to know whether it has 32 or 64 bit so i know what to get next.

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

you can burn that one and get a new computer next.

Start > Run > sysdm.cpl  in the menu.

Or the guy above me works also.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hold Windows Key and Press "R" to open the run dialog

Type "dxdiag" and press enter

A new window will load to show you the version of Windows you're running as well as your hardware

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

you can burn that one and get a new computer next.

Start > Run > sysdm.cpl  in the menu.

i dont see a x64. im only using it to play movies on a tv. you can use a raspberry pi zero to play 4k footage at 30fps. its only gaming that needs a good computer. is a 1.6 ghz duel core celeron processor able to run 64 bit?

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

i dont see a x64

It's 32 bit then

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

is a 1.6 ghz duel core celeron processor able to run 64 bit?

We'll need the processor number to tell you. For example G1850.

It's possible that you simply have a 32 bit version of windows installed but its also possible that you only have a 32 bit processor.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

1 hour ago, HPWebcamAble said:

It's 32 bit then

We'll need the processor number to tell you. For example G1850.

It's possible that you simply have a 32 bit version of windows installed but its also possible that you only have a 32 bit processor.

it says its a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @1.6Ghz

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

it says its a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @1.6Ghz

That IS a 64 bit processor so you just have a 32 bit version of windows XP.

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

That IS a 64 bit processor so you just have a 32 bit version of windows XP.

ok. im going to put linux on it anyway but the person that gave it to me wanted to wipe the hard drive.

I would have guessed it to be 32bit anyway. There wasn't any WinXP Home Premium 64bit versions. And most of Professional version were also 32bit. With Vista came ability to get 32bit or 64bit.

13 hours ago, Legolessed said:

ok. im going to put linux on it anyway but the person that gave it to me wanted to wipe the hard drive.

You can do that from Linux installing menu.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would have guessed it to be 32bit anyway. There wasn't any WinXP Home Premium 64bit versions. And most of Professional version were also 32bit. With Vista came ability to get 32bit or 64bit.

You can do that from Linux installing menu.

Thats a great assumption. XP x64 was never marketed by Microsoft, and for good reason. It ran slow as fuck. I actually though my community college got the pro version of XP for $28. The best part, it was the 32 and 64 bit versions each with its own CD key. I used XP x64 until Windows 7 came out. It actually wasnt XP. XP x64 was Windows Server 2003 64 bit edition with the XP shell on top. It actually received Server 2003 updates. On top of this, 64 bit XP was only offered in Pro and I dont think it was offered on any Consumer grade machines. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.