gtx 950 vs gtx 960

Mr_Pickles

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the 950 and the 960 and was wondering if the extra performance is worth the extra cost? Or would something like the 950 sc, ssc, or ftw give better performance per dollar? Thanks for the help!

Depends... What are you doing? In the end AMD offers a R9 380 which is 96% of the time 7-15% better than the 960.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I really would go for the r9 380, in the end of the day, extremely  Similar performance. for the same pricepoint.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

1 minute ago, xTrixieHD said:

I really would go for the r9 380, in the end of the day, extremely  Similar performance. for the same pricepoint.

what if you had a shit psu?

can you wait for a few months?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

what if you had a shit psu?

What do you mean if you have a bad PSU? You shouldn't have a bad PSU...

Edit: Get the 960, the 950 isn't worth the money. However I would strongly recommend a R9 280x or R9 380 if you can get one. If you can though, wait for Pascal and Polaris to see what they have to offer. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

We don't know if he has a soggy cornflake Power supply do we?

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

5 minutes ago, Mr_Pickles said:

I am video and photo editing as well as gaming.

960. 380 is better for gaming, but if you're using the card to edit, imo, 960.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

can you wait for a few months?

I don't currently have a pc so i'm piecing one together now. Yes I can wait a few months, but I would rather not. Do you recommend I wait?

1 minute ago, Mr_Pickles said:

I don't currently have a pc so i'm piecing one together now. Yes I can wait a few months, but I would rather not. Do you recommend I wait?

get a cheap 750ti or something from craigslist for now, then upgrade in a few months and sell it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

What do you mean if you have a bad PSU? You shouldn't have a bad PSU...

Edit: Get the 960, the 950 isn't worth the money. However I would strongly recommend a R9 280x or R9 380 if you can get one. If you can though, wait for Pascal and Polaris to see what they have to offer. 

When i mean bad psu, like iffy caps and limited wattage,

Also those are good for gaming, i'd perfer Team Green for his use case.

It seems like the general consensus is that the 960 is worth getting over the 950. However a lot of you are saying to get a 380, so what would be the better card between those two based on what I will be using my computer for?

31 minutes ago, Mr_Pickles said:

It seems like the general consensus is that the 960 is worth getting over the 950. However a lot of you are saying to get a 380, so what would be the better card between those two based on what I will be using my computer for?

If you're primarily gaming, the 380/380X is the way to go.

If you're rendering, editing or doing any type of development using your GPU, 960 is the better choice. Likewise, if power consumption is a concern for you, the 960 is a better pick.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.