Advice on my PC build?

Tweed
1 minute ago, Tweed said:

Yeah I was told spray painting may mess up the "weight/balance" of the fans and I'm not willing to risk that lol :P.

True dat. I didn't even think of that.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

fixed it

rpm is just a number, its the air flow that the fan produce that is important

noctua fans perform well at low rpm, and stay quiet at low rpm, thats why people buy them

silent wings on the otherhand can go to very high rpm and still stay relatively quiet, but the performance is not as good as noctua fans (though i dont know how people compare them, but thats what i heard)

i own both of them and i still prefer silent wings over noctua, because noctua is still noisy even with LNA (1200RPM) but the silent wings are quite silent even when running full speed

Ah I see now. Gotcha. I'm new to PC stuff so what causes case fans to spin faster? Won't low rpm fans top at their rpm listed? like noctua would be like 800rpm, it won't go any higher than that.

Ah I see now. Gotcha. I'm new to PC stuff so what causes case fans to spin faster? Won't low rpm fans top at their rpm listed? like noctua would be like 800rpm, it won't go any higher than that.

You can control the speed of a fan using your motherboard in two ways. One way is telling your motherboard to give less voltage to the fans. That results in less energy being converted into movement. The other is using PWM, an option that only 4-pin fans can use and that generally allows your fans to spin slower without stopping. Manufacturers will usually list the maximum RPM of a fan but that number will vary depending on your setup.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

get the noctua fans and spray paint em

i wouldnt recommending spray painting fans to be honest

the frame is fine, but not the blades

7 minutes ago, Tweed said:

Are the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 SP or AF fans? They seem pretty good. Are they the best of the best? I want something somewhat quiet, not dead silent, and the performance to be above average, and aesthetically pleasing (LEDs are a plus with cool effect).
120mm: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl062
140mm: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl063

i think they are both, as they are pretty decent as case fans and they're strapped to be quiet's heatsinks `-` so i really dont know how to categorize it

they are pretty much neat the top of the best fans list along with noctua fans, depending on what you're using them for

well there are other options that looks better but performs not as great, and not as quiet

like the Corsair Silent fans (dont get their high performance fans, they're noisy) AF140 or SP140, depending on what you're using them for

4 minutes ago, Tweed said:

case fans spins faster when you tell them to? xD

what do you mean top at their rpm listed? if you connect them through molex or something then yes they will run at full speed

but if you're not going to control the fans then i highly suggest silent wings, because the rest of the options are pretty much going to sound like a wind tunnel

do yourself a favor and control the fans, one way or the other lol

i recommend controlling them with your motherboard as asus boards have a good fan controller software called Fan Xpert, im using it and im lovin it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Tweed said:

You could go ekwb vardar fans

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well there are other options that looks better but performs not as great, and not as quiet

like the Corsair Silent fans (dont get their high performance fans, they're noisy) AF140 or SP140, depending on what you're using them for

case fans spins faster when you tell them to? xD

what do you mean top at their rpm listed? if you connect them through molex or something then yes they will run at full speed

but if you're not going to control the fans then i highly suggest silent wings, because the rest of the options are pretty much going to sound like a wind tunnel

do yourself a favor and control the fans, one way or the other lol

i recommend controlling them with your motherboard as asus boards have a good fan controller software called Fan Xpert, im using it and im lovin it

What I mean when I say RPM listed is like when I look on pcpartpicker or any website, it lists the case fan's rpm, dbA, cfm, etc.
And it shows the rpm, which I thought meant that's the fastest the fan can spin.

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.38.40 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Zach TOm said:

You could go ekwb vardar fans

I'll check them out right now :)

Just now, Tweed said:

What I mean when I say RPM listed is like when I look on pcpartpicker or any website, it lists the case fan's rpm, dbA, cfm, etc.
And it shows the rpm, which I thought meant that's the fastest the fan can spin.

it is the fastest the fan can spin

but you'd be insane to use those fans at those speeds :D unless you like wind tunnels

Just now, Tweed said:

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.38.40 PM.png

Manufacturers like to lie about CFM/Static pressure/Noise level when marketing their fans so usually the only way to tell is by reading reviews. And it gets tedious by the third "60 120mm fan roundup".

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Moonzy said:

it is the fastest the fan can spin

but you'd be insane to use those fans at those speeds :D unless you like wind tunnels

Alright cool. So from my understand/interpretation, sorry that I'm being such a noob and idiot to this stuff I'm trying to learn the best I can, I can control the fan's speed through the motherboard or if they are PWM fans or through software on windows in certain applications.

Alright cool. So from my understand/interpretation, sorry that I'm being such a noob and idiot to this stuff I'm trying to learn the best I can, I can control the fan's speed through the motherboard or if they are PWM fans or through software on windows in certain applications.

Don't sweat it. We're here to help. You can actually control voltage fans through software as well. And most motherboards can do both in their BIOS. The rule of thumb though is if your fan can do PWM, choose that. Voltage regulation just doesn't go as low in RPM.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

its fine to learn :P

and yes,

Asus boards can control both 3 pin and 4 pin fans, either through bios or through fan xpert

most motherboards can control their fan through bios, and you can use 3rd party software though they might not support it

4 pin fan = PWM

3 pin fan = DC

you can read more about PWM vs DC online :P

Would you guys say these fans are good? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-fan-clf042pl12swa  

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-fan-clf043pl14swa

Or should I just sack the LEDs idea, and just focus on performance and somewhat aesthetically pleasing non-LEDs like the silent wings 2 or phanteks or noctua (if there were a good color). Since I have plans to get the NZXT Hue+, that's already enough LED lighting? I know its ultimately my choice but I need help setting the right frame of mind, I tend to be ""blindly jumpy to my actions.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Don't sweat it. We're here to help. You can actually control voltage fans through software as well. And most motherboards can do both in their BIOS. The rule of thumb though is if your fan can do PWM, choose that. Voltage regulation just doesn't go as low in RPM.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

its fine to learn :P

and yes,

Asus boards can control both 3 pin and 4 pin fans, either through bios or through fan xpert

most motherboards can control their fan through bios, and you can use 3rd party software though they might not support it

4 pin fan = PWM

3 pin fan = DC

you can read more about PWM vs DC online :P

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the kindness and help.

3 minutes ago, Tweed said:

Or should I just sack the LEDs idea, and just focus on performance and somewhat aesthetically pleasing non-LEDs like the silent wings 2 or phanteks or noctua (if there were a good color). Since I have plans to get the NZXT Hue+, that's already enough LED lighting? I know its ultimately my choice but I need help setting the right frame of mind, I tend to be ""blindly jumpy to my actions.

If you want good looking LED fans that do the job the AF120s from corsair have yet to dissapoint me. For radiators you should get SPs though. They come in red, blue, white or purple.

Also, a cool trick you can do is you can control your LED strips from the motherboard. You can tell them to light up at load and turn down at idle :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Tweed said:

i never really seen or heard about those fans before, so i cant say anything about it

but from my experience, im using a single 30cm strip of RGB LED and its bright enough for me `-`

besides, having two different light source might be tricky to configure or sync if you want it to be colourful :P

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i never really seen or heard about those fans before, so i cant say anything about it

but from my experience, im using a single 30cm strip of RGB LED and its bright enough for me `-`

besides, having two different light source might be tricky to configure or sync if you want it to be colourful :P

You have a good point. 

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If you want good looking LED fans that do the job the AF120s from corsair have yet to dissapoint me. For radiators you should get SPs though. They come in red, blue, white or purple.

Also, a cool trick you can do is you can control your LED strips from the motherboard. You can tell them to light up at load and turn down at idle :)

Yeah considering the Corsair AF and SF, but they seem a bit loud.

So say I didn't care about color or LED or not, what are the top of the case fan SP and AF?

10 minutes ago, Tweed said:

what are the top of the case fan SP and AF?

what do you mean top of the case fans? o.O

the best fans? the fans meant for the roof of the pc?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

what do you mean top of the case fans? o.O

the best fans? the fans meant for the roof of the pc?

Yeah sorry. Top as in best lol, my bad.

Yeah sorry. Top as in best lol, my bad.

i vouch for silent edition of those fans

as the high performance can be quite noisy

edit: u mean the corsair fans right? o.O or just AF and SP fans in general

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i vouch for silent edition of those fans

as the high performance can be quite noisy

edit: u mean the corsair fans right? o.O or just AF and SP fans in general

SP and AF in general :P sorry for the confusion.

SP and AF in general :P sorry for the confusion.

well...

NF-F12 should win the top crown in both categories if you ask around lol

but it depends on what you're using them for, picking fans is not as easy as AF or SP ;)

those are just the basics

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well...

NF-F12 should win the top crown in both categories if you ask around lol

but it depends on what you're using them for, picking fans is not as easy as AF or SP ;)

those are just the basics

Ugh why isn't there a better color for the nf-f12. I think i saw Linus have black ones but those are special i think.

Just now, Tweed said:

Ugh why isn't there a better color for the nf-f12. I think i saw Linus have black ones but those are special i think.

oh right, there are the LTT edition NF-F12

completely forgot lol