Advice on my PC build?

Tweed

This is my PC build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxzxLk . I'm trying to go for a Batman theme'd PC, and I plan on adding the NZXT Hue+. I'm having trouble deciding my case fans, whether to go appearance over function, LED over CFM/dbA. What's important for me is the noise, I want my PC to be as quiet as possible, but I want it to be presentable, so no poop brown noctua :( despite the fact that they are known to be the best! LEDs are a plus, I like the Thermaltake Riing Fans, but they don't have a good CFM, dbA, RPM ratio, but people that I've asked had no complaints.

So to sum it up, I need help looking for a case fan, 2 120mm fans for the bottom of my case as intake (Static Pressure), 2 140mm fans for my radiator (pull config.), and 1 120mm for the rear of my case as exhaust. My case is the InWin 805 Black, and I really want to stick to the Batman theme I have planned, while being quiet, and beautiful to look at.

if you want quiet fans, silent wings 2 are decent, though lower performance than the noctuas

btw did you check out the N450 from nzxt? that's what people call the dark knight case or something because apparently it reminds people of the bat mobile lol

as for your pc build

1) maybe an i5 over an i7, unless you're doing something else other than gaming

2) slightly overpriced motherboard, but i guess you're going with aesthetics here so... ok, though might i suggest z170 sabertooth or maximus formula instead?

3) insane storage, but thats up to you

4) all these but a gtx 970 `-` kinda expected more

5) slightly overkill psu wattage unless you wanna go dual gpu config (though i dont recommend dual gpu config unless you're already using the best gpu)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

well, as everyone else always says.. 390 is better than the 970.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yeah my friend has the NZXT N450. I liked the InWin 805 better. Yeah not really a gaming rig, mainly for video editing, graphic design, animations, etc. I was thinking of going 650w PSU, but people said to go 750w just in case if I ever want to upgrade. Yeah as of motherboard, I'm between Asus z170-A or the Maximus Hero VIII Hero, depends on the case fans if I go LED, then Maximus, if no LED, z170-A. As of storage was thinking of just getting the M.2 PCIe SSD, and if I need more storage, I'll get the 850 EVO when I need it. I'm trying to go under $2000.

Yeah I was considering the 390, but graphics card is on the back of my mind right now. I'm trying to focus on my case fans because I'm having so much trouble knowing what to get. I'm looking for something quiet, fits my dark batman color theme, and has good airflow (cfm).

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

well, as everyone else always says.. 390 is better than the 970.

with an asterisk `-` its not better in all situations

1 minute ago, Tweed said:

Yeah my friend has the NZXT N450. I liked the InWin 805 better. Yeah not really a gaming rig, mainly for video editing, graphic design, animations, etc. I was thinking of going 650w PSU, but people said to go 750w just in case if I ever want to upgrade. Yeah as of motherboard, I'm between Asus z170-A or the Maximus Hero VIII Hero, depends on the case fans if I go LED, then Maximus, if no LED, z170-A. As of storage was thinking of just getting the M.2 PCIe SSD, and if I need more storage, I'll get the 850 EVO when I need it. I'm trying to go under $2000.

then maybe you should invest in the x99 platform instead

I already have an Intel core i7 6700k :/. I pretty much have all my parts except graphics, storage, motherboard, psu, and case fan.

5 minutes ago, Tweed said:

yeah if its not for gaming you might want to go to the x99 with a 5820k processor, and step down the GPU, though you might want to stick with NVIDIA for CUDA cores.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, Tweed said:

I already have an Intel core i7 6700k :/. I pretty much have all my parts except graphics, storage, motherboard, psu, and case fan.

remember to quote the person you're replying so they'll get a notification

if thats the case, did you check out the fan i mentioned? as well as the motherboards

3 minutes ago, Tweed said:

The 950 PRO doesn't actually load OS / games significantly faster than the 850 EVO. I'd just use a 1 TB EVO or 2 500GB on RAID 0.

If you have a chunk of budget you might want to upgrade your display, unless you're already running what you want.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

remember to quote the person you're replying so they'll get a notification

if thats the case, did you check out the fan i mentioned? as well as the motherboards

I checked the motherboards, I'm Googling/YouTubing the fans you recommended.

28 minutes ago, Tweed said:

no poop brown noctua :(

Noctua has Black/Grey fans and also Black/Brown fans.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Noctua has Black/Grey fans and also Black/Brown fans.

Yeah I know, but people have told me that they are LOUD. Like the Noctua Industrial

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The 950 PRO doesn't actually load OS / games significantly faster than the 850 EVO. I'd just use a 1 TB EVO or 2 500GB on RAID 0.

If you have a chunk of budget you might want to upgrade your display, unless you're already running what you want.

he's not gaming, its a working machine

so its fine to get the 950 pro if he needs the bandwidth and iops,

dont i dont recommend that he do raid 0, the cons outweigh the pros, unless he needs the bandwidth

and raid 0 will actually makes the boot time longer due to the need to initialize the array

Just now, Tweed said:

Yeah I know, but people have told me that they are LOUD. Like the Noctua Industrial

The industrial ones shouldn't be louder since they're literally repaints of the normal NF-A14. The redux might be a different story though.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

The industrial ones shouldn't be louder since they're literally repaints of the normal NF-A14. The redux might be a different story though.

the industrial fans are the loud ones

Just now, Moonzy said:

the industrial fans are the loud ones

Perhaps they're just louder because they're faster. Then you can just tone them down. Or are they structurally different?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Perhaps they're just louder because they're faster. Then you can just tone them down. Or are they structurally different?

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000-pwm/

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm/

the minimum rotational speed is different, thats what matter

noctua fans are quite loud after they get past about 600~700rpm, you can hear the humming sound of the motor

thats why people who buy noctua fans run them at extremely low rpm, because they perform well even at low rpms, and noisy when they are spinning fast

First link is broken? 404.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000-pwm/

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm/

the minimum rotational speed is different, thats what matter

noctua fans are quite loud after they get past about 600~700rpm, you can hear the humming sound of the motor

thats why people who buy noctua fans run them at extremely low rpm, because they perform well even at low rpms, and noisy when they are spinning fast

So a low RPM doesn't really matter? As long as CFM (high) and dbA (low) are good?

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

First link is broken? 404.

fixed it

Just now, Tweed said:

So a low RPM doesn't really matter? As long as CFM (high) and dbA (low) are good?

rpm is just a number, its the air flow that the fan produce that is important

noctua fans perform well at low rpm, and stay quiet at low rpm, thats why people buy them

silent wings on the otherhand can go to very high rpm and still stay relatively quiet, but the performance is not as good as noctua fans (though i dont know how people compare them, but thats what i heard)

i own both of them and i still prefer silent wings over noctua, because noctua is still noisy even with LNA (1200RPM) but the silent wings are quite silent even when running full speed

1 minute ago, Tweed said:

A better designed fan will move more air at less noise levels. If you're feeling crafty you could get the noctua fans and spray paint em :)

Otherwise the be quiet! fans have a great aesthetic imo.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you want quiet fans, silent wings 2 are decent, though lower performance than the noctuas

btw did you check out the N450 from nzxt? that's what people call the dark knight case or something because apparently it reminds people of the bat mobile lol

as for your pc build

1) maybe an i5 over an i7, unless you're doing something else other than gaming

2) slightly overpriced motherboard, but i guess you're going with aesthetics here so... ok, though might i suggest z170 sabertooth or maximus formula instead?

3) insane storage, but thats up to you

4) all these but a gtx 970 `-` kinda expected more

5) slightly overkill psu wattage unless you wanna go dual gpu config (though i dont recommend dual gpu config unless you're already using the best gpu)

Are the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 SP or AF fans? They seem pretty good. Are they the best of the best? I want something somewhat quiet, not dead silent, and the performance to be above average, and aesthetically pleasing (LEDs are a plus with cool effect).
120mm: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl062
140mm: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl063

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

A better designed fan will move more air at less noise levels. If you're feeling crafty you could get the noctua fans and spray paint em :)

Otherwise the be quiet! fans have a great aesthetic imo.

Yeah I was told spray painting may mess up the "weight/balance" of the fans and I'm not willing to risk that lol :P.