Mini ITX build from retailer

Norup

Dear LTT forum

I'm thinking of buying a computer from a retailer customizing PCs and would like some thoughts from you guys!

The build is as followes: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BvCcZL

Note: I wasn't able to find the CPU cooler which is a BLOODFREEZR 550LC water-cooling system - I do not have the choice to change that.

And nor could I find the Seagate Barracuda 1000gb 7200 RPM storage thingy.

And there's of course some interior LED ligtning in red and should I upgrade to NZXT Hue+ for better illumination? Exterior is black and the cables are sleeved in black, can't change that either.

Finally, any recommendations for gaming monitors? I would like QHD or something like that, but I'm not sure what to get.

There's a two year warranty from the retailer which is quite nice and is one of the reasons I'll probably buy from the retailer.

Best regards

Norup

you're getting ripped off...

have you considered an R9 390 for your GPU?

there are certainly better options for PSU

and if you're building a modern computer system for a lasting time then 16GB of RAM would be preferable

for gaming monitors go to Blurbusters or TFT Central web pages and look at their recommended list

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

As @CUDA_Cores stated, just about everyone on this forum will tell you to build it yourself. Often times boutique builders charge a lot for assembling the system, or just inflate how much the parts cost when you're configuring a rig *cough* Puget Systems *cough*

ASU

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

how much is the retailer charging you for all those PC parts? Because most of us on the forum just recommend building it yourself as you don't have to pay for another companies assembly margins.

Not too much and they offer good service. They're at the point between growing big but not so much that their prices is ridiculous. Also in DK the parts would actually be +- 300 USD more expensive than from the retailer, even when they assemble. And then there's ofc warranty :)

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

you're getting ripped off...

have you considered an R9 390 for your GPU?

there are certainly better options for PSU

and if you're building a modern computer system for a lasting time then 16GB of RAM would be preferable

for gaming monitors go to Blurbusters or TFT Central web pages and look at their recommended list

Sadly there's only more expensive and better options for PSU because the cheaper ones are even more shit... And I'll check for the options on a GPU, just bear with me a sec :)

@DXMember PSU options is FSP Hydro G in either 650, 750 and 850W and Corsair Enthusiast Gold Series RM750i and RM850i.

And f*ck me if I'll have to mention all the options for GPU's but I'll look into it.

Can you provide link to retailer's site?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

that, that seems absolutely ridiculus to me. IMO I would never pay that sort of markup to have the PC assembled for me. Oh and forget about warranties, warranties are crap. Almost every time I have tried to file a warranty for anything (where it is something electronic or not) the company makes up some bullshit reason not to claim it like "oh' there's a micro-scratch on the mobos SATA connector or something (yes this actually happened to me). Just build your own PC. And if you want a long warranty, buy individual parts with a warranty of at least two years. It's not nearly as hard as you think and the internet is flooded with guides on how to do it. Also remember you can ask the forum here for help every step of the way.

I totally agree with building it myself. I don't trust myself to build it but I have a few trusted friends and they'd want to help. I'm still considering options but for what I can see the value for money is decent with this build. Although there's naturally some builds where I found it to be easily 500 USD cheaper to build myself.

Do you have a recommendation for a 1200 USD build? Though it sure doesn't need to be the whole 1500 USD. I mostly play not too heavy games like CS:GO but I would like to play heavy singleplayer games enjoyable :P

3 hours ago, Norup said:

Dear LTT forum

I'm thinking of buying a computer from a retailer customizing PCs and would like some thoughts from you guys!

Note: I wasn't able to find the CPU cooler which is a BLOODFREEZR 550LC water-cooling system - I do not have the choice to change that.

And there's of course some interior LED ligtning in red and should I upgrade to NZXT Hue+ for better illumination? Exterior is black and the cables are sleeved in black, can't change that either.

Finally, any recommendations for gaming monitors? I would like QHD or something like that, but I'm not sure what to get.

There's a two year warranty from the retailer which is quite nice and is one of the reasons I'll probably buy from the retailer.

Best regards

Norup

DONT BUY THAT CASE.

It is insanely noisy, doesnt cater to LEDs at all. Ive owned it, ive built three builds with that case. TWO of them ive had to change the case of.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RRf4FT

4 hours ago, Norup said:

Dear LTT forum

Best regards

Norup

The psu is not a good choice, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416. It is way over capacity for a GTX 970. Even for an R9 390. Good choices for the 380T case are Silverstone ST45SF-G, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG, or Silverstone SX600-G. These are sfx units that come with an ATX mounting plate. Their relatively small size make things a little less crowded inside the case.

There is little point in going with a z170 motherboard and a locked i5 cpu. Nor would I put an AIO on the cpu. There are a number of decent and less expensive H170 mini-ITX motherboards available. If you really want to go with an after market cpu cooler instead of using the stock cooler that comes with the cpu, consider something like a Cryorig H7 which will likely be both quieter and less expensive.

I am a bit surprised that you couldn't find a 1TB Seagate Barracuda it is arguably the most popular hdd on the planet. How about a Western Digital 1TB Blue?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Can you provide link to retailer's site?

http://sharkgaming.dk/gamer-computere/shark-series/tiny-shark-brutality

It's in danish but this is the direct link to their 'Tiny Shark' which is the computer I talked about.

You will have to press the big blue button 'tilpas og køb' (=customize and buy) to be able to change the hardware. If Google Translate isn't able to help you translate some of the words, then just ask :P

9 hours ago, Prysin said:

DONT BUY THAT CASE.

It is insanely noisy, doesnt cater to LEDs at all. Ive owned it, ive built three builds with that case. TWO of them ive had to change the case of.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RRf4FT

I haven't actually heard problems with noise and the danish reviews is almost perfectly 5/5 but I could imagine it being a bit noisy. So that's definitely something I'll remember to take into consideration!

And thanks to @CUDA_Cores, @Prysin and @brob for your suggestions. I'll take a look!

@Prysin I'm quite intrigued by your suggestion, not only does it fit my budget quite well it's actually my favorite case. I consider the EVOLV ATX as well but it shouldn't be a problem to make a powerful computer inside the mini itx case? And the black/red theme is damn cool and I might just out in some NZXT Hue+ illumination.

Any tips or tricks to build in such a small tower? I haven't built a PC from scratch yet and I'm not sure how easy it is to build in such a small tower :/

28 minutes ago, Norup said:

I haven't actually heard problems with noise and the danish reviews is almost perfectly 5/5 but I could imagine it being a bit noisy. So that's definitely something I'll remember to take into consideration!

Take your time with this purchase.  You can do much better when you assemble it yourself.  All you are doing is plugging things in and pushing the power button.  Building is easy.

As far as warranties go, manufacturer warranties are normally better than having some crap shop's warranty.  Every time you send the PC in, it will cost them money.  You can bet your ass the guy troubleshooting your problem will be some low wage employee.  They will do the bare minimum to diagnose your issue and even send it back without really fixing anything.  Now you have to send it back again, and each time they do this they will try to get more cash out of you.

$1500 is a lot of money:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.88 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($124.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($569.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1502.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 05:30 EDT-0400

-----

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.88 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($317.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1259.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 05:38 EDT-0400

This is ultimately your PC.  Building it can be a learning process.  Don't deny yourself the chance to learn something new and save money while doing it.

@stconquest Your 1200 bucks suggestion is by far the best! Only isn't the CPU  a bit overkill? But well it can run Minecraft and any other game without a problem ;)

I haven't actually heard much about the R9 390 or any of Radeon's GPU's but I see it has good reviews. And you can be damn sure I'll take my time building it, getting cables to sit perfectly etc.

Just a quick question; If it has no drive how do I install and setup windows? I might just go over the another thread with that question but the setup is more of a worry than assembling the hardware.

" This is ultimately your PC.  Building it can be a learning process.  Don't deny yourself the chance to learn something new and save money while doing it"

And that sure is true!

17 minutes ago, Norup said:

@stconquest Your 1200 bucks suggestion is by far the best! Only isn't the CPU  a bit overkill? But well it can run Minecraft and any other game without a problem ;)

I haven't actually heard much about the R9 390 or any of Radeon's GPU's but I see it has good reviews. And you can be damn sure I'll take my time building it, getting cables to sit perfectly etc.

Just a quick question; If it has no drive how do I install and setup windows? I might just go over the another thread with that question but the setup is more of a worry than assembling the hardware.

" This is ultimately your PC.  Building it can be a learning process.  Don't deny yourself the chance to learn something new and save money while doing it"

And that sure is true!

I would go for a R9 390 at present.   It keeps up with the GTX 970 in just about everything, they trade blows depending on the game.  When DX12 titles come into play (Hitman/Ashes of the Singularity), there is a very real chance the R9 390 will be able to surpass the GTX 970 in every way, even passing the GTX 980 in some instances.  It is a hardware issue with the Maxwell (GTX 9-Series) cards.

The i7 6700K is the best of the best, but I wanted to showcase the money you are spending.  An i5 6600K is more practical, with the the i7 (Hyper threading) edging it out in some games.

Windows can be installed with a USB stick.  If you really want an optical drive you can find a case with a 5" bay, or get an external optical drive.

What ever you decide, best of luck.  We are here if you need anything.:)

@Norup  Oh, the GTX 970 is a great card.  If you want to go that route, you will still have a fantastic gaming experience.;)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Zotac Premium Edition 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.28 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($449.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($114.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1127.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 06:54 EDT-0400

get your OS from kinguin/reddit for $20-30 to save some money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

I would go for a R9 390 at present.   It keeps up with the GTX 970 in just about everything, they trade blows depending on the game.  When DX12 titles come into play (Hitman/Ashes of the Singularity), there is a very real chance the R9 390 will be able to surpass the GTX 970 in every way, even passing the GTX 980 in some instances.  It is a hardware issue with the Maxwell (GTX 9-Series) cards.

The i7 6700K is the best of the best, but I wanted to showcase the money you are spending.  An i5 6600K is more practical, with the the i7 (Hyper threading) edging it out in some games.

Windows can be installed with a USB stick.  If you really want an optical drive you can find a case with a 5" bay, or get an external optical drive.

What ever you decide, best of luck.  We are here if you need anything.:)

@Norup  Oh, the GTX 970 is a great card.  If you want to go that route, you will still have a fantastic gaming experience.;)

I'll probably keep the i7, it's not thaaaaat much more than an i5 and it sure is the best thing. My friend tells he can setup a PC without a problem, so I'll be looking into where I'd be able to get the stuff. Unfortunately I live in Denmark and there's mostly just the shady places to buy from but I expect I'll be able to get all the parts.

And @stconquest I'll try and go with the R9, I've watched a few reviews and it looks beasty and I'd probably be able to play any game I like in decent res, fps, etc. :P And damn I appreciate your help, you've made me more comfortable ;) I'll keep you updated on this thread if need be :P

And yes I'll be posting a lot more questions <3

@stconquest So there's only two components I currently find unavailable in Denmark, that is the PSU and and second storage thingy.

As for the PSU I can find three called 'EVGA SuperNOVA 650W' but the difference is the name. One is called 'P2', next is called 'G2' and last is called 'G1'. Most expensive is P2, cheapest is G1. I just need some help to know exactly which one to get as I don't want it not to fit ;)

Links to the danish site is:

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-P2-650W-PSU/2536386

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-G2-650W-PSU/2517202

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-G1-650W-PSU/2471412

And while you're on the website, would you mind finding a replacement for the Caviar Blue?

I did find the rest, so it should fit :)

Final plan!

This I believe to be my final plan!

Any pros/cons or any thing you want to say before I buy it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TNpY6h

Note: I have an extern 2 TB hard disk so 500 GB SSD should do just fine for me since anything that takes up space will just get moved to the external device.

And thanks for all the great replies!

5 hours ago, Norup said:

And thanks to @CUDA_Cores, @Prysin and @brob for your suggestions. I'll take a look!

@Prysin I'm quite intrigued by your suggestion, not only does it fit my budget quite well it's actually my favorite case. I consider the EVOLV ATX as well but it shouldn't be a problem to make a powerful computer inside the mini itx case? And the black/red theme is damn cool and I might just out in some NZXT Hue+ illumination.

Any tips or tricks to build in such a small tower? I haven't built a PC from scratch yet and I'm not sure how easy it is to build in such a small tower :/

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T7CnsY

problem solved. Now we have moved to a mATX case you get a few more expansion slots, so now you are able to set up even crossfire/SLI setups later on.

7 hours ago, Norup said:

@stconquest So there's only two components I currently find unavailable in Denmark, that is the PSU and and second storage thingy.

As for the PSU I can find three called 'EVGA SuperNOVA 650W' but the difference is the name. One is called 'P2', next is called 'G2' and last is called 'G1'. Most expensive is P2, cheapest is G1. I just need some help to know exactly which one to get as I don't want it not to fit ;)

Links to the danish site is:

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-P2-650W-PSU/2536386

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-G2-650W-PSU/2517202

https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/SuperNOVA-650-G1-650W-PSU/2471412

And while you're on the website, would you mind finding a replacement for the Caviar Blue?

I did find the rest, so it should fit :)

The G2/P2 are good, the G1 is not that good.  The G2 is made by Superflower, the G1 is made bu FSP.

For the hard drive, just find a 7200RPM drive.  Since this is a smaller case, why not grab a 500GBSSD and leave the hard drive out entirely.  I would rather have the bigger SSD than the red color cables.  If you find that you really need the storage, you can always just buy one and pop it in.  You can even buy an external dock and only use the storage drive when you need it (turn it off when you do not).  This will keep heat and noise down in the case.

UUHDC004600_01_L.jpg

You can find them for under $50.  I don't have mechanical drives in my case, they sit in a drawer until I need them.

4 hours ago, Norup said:

Final plan!

This I believe to be my final plan!

Any pros/cons or any thing you want to say before I buy it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TNpY6h

Note: I have an extern 2 TB hard disk so 500 GB SSD should do just fine for me since anything that takes up space will just get moved to the external device.

And thanks for all the great replies!

xD

It costs a lot of money, that is the only con. 

The red cables do not work with all the power supplies, only the ones listed:  Corsair AX, AXi, CXM, HX og TX-M serierne

@stconquest

So yeah, I'm gonna get the 500GB SSD and have the external HHD.

Even though you don't speak danish I'm quite impressed with you noticing that the Corsair Red Sleeved cables doesn't fit - to me a cable is a cable and should fit ;)

So I found Linus' trusted friends - CableMod. They do have an EU store and red-sleeved cables: https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-b-series-dpp-cable-kit-red/

And I even checked that they're compatible with EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W PSU :P

I don't like colours on the Noctua NH-D15 but boy does it have good reviews. Do you think I could swap it for the Cryorig H7? I mostly mean; does it fit - especially concercing RAM and the fact that it's a large dual grill?

And yes it's a bit more expensive that I like but it's a darn good build. And because of your help, I'm not even doubting I'm gonna buy it :D

8 minutes ago, Norup said:

@stconquest

So yeah, I'm gonna get the 500GB SSD and have the external HHD.

Even though you don't speak danish I'm quite impressed with you noticing that the Corsair Red Sleeved cables doesn't fit - to me a cable is a cable and should fit ;)

So I found Linus' trusted friends - CableMod. They do have an EU store and red-sleeved cables: https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-b-series-dpp-cable-kit-red/

And I even checked that they're compatible with EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W PSU :P

I don't like colours on the Noctua NH-D15 but boy does it have good reviews. Do you think I could swap it for the Cryorig H7? I mostly mean; does it fit - especially concercing RAM and the fact that it's a large dual grill?

And yes it's a bit more expensive that I like but it's a darn good build. And because of your help, I'm not even doubting I'm gonna buy it :D

Since you have a non-K 6700, I don't recommend spending more on the heat sink for the CPU.  The H7 is picked because it is quiet, it looks good, and it cools well enough to support the 4GHz boost on the i7 6700.  Oh geez, wrong build... 1 sec...

It depends on how aggressively you are planning to push the overclock.  The D15 cools as well as some 240mm AiO liquid cooling units.  They H7 is good enough for a moderate overclock.  It will do 4.3GHz-4.5GHz at acceptable temps.

Keep the questions coming.  The more you ask, the more I (we) can help with.