My first NAS

Hulkbert
Go to solution Solved by ddbtkd456,
1 hour ago, Hulkbert said:

So, should I try to build it with ~$100 usd for everything else  or buy a prebuilt from wd?

The thing that you need to understand with nas and raids are that raids are better done with raid controllers which are $500 new...for a decent one (LSI). One top of that to do it correctly you need error correction memory which is pretty expensive (ECC Memory). To properly run freenas you would need 1gig per tb of space. My recommendation would be to get the WD prebuilt one if your not doing anything extensive.

I have a $400 budget. I'm pretty sure I need 3-4 tb in raid 1. So, should I build my NAS or get one of the prebuilt ones from WD?

I have a $400 budget. I'm pretty sure I need 3-4 tb in raid 1. So, should I build my NAS or get one of the prebuilt ones from WD?

At that prebuilt i parted one out to run freenas and it was like $1300.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

1 minute ago, ddbtkd456 said:

At that prebuilt i parted one out to run freenas and it was like $1300.

So, should I try to build it with ~$100 usd for everything else  or buy a prebuilt from wd?

The thing that you need to understand with nas and raids are that raids are better done with raid controllers which are $500 new...for a decent one (LSI). One top of that to do it correctly you need error correction memory which is pretty expensive (ECC Memory). To properly run freenas you would need 1gig per tb of space. My recommendation would be to get the WD prebuilt one if your not doing anything extensive.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:  Integrated with Motherboard
Motherboard:
ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Atom C2550 Motherboard  ($278.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $318.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-23 22:31 EDT-0400

Building one give more flexibility I guess... at least it is possible to upgrade and add more disks.

No case, no psu, you are in the budget

45 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Everyone here is going over the top. If you just want a simple storage setup like a WD one but with better performance / expandability, just buy a super cheap low powered one. You can get motherboard cpu combos for around 60. Add 4gb of RAM, psu, case. That should be less than 150. The rest you can spend on hard drives and expand in the future.

EDIT: the ECC memory and that specific cpu/motherboard combo listed before are great for FreeNAS which is only if you want to ensure data integrity. The WD pre-built won't give you that either so if you're considering the WD, FreeNAS probably isn't for you.

34 minutes ago, Alice in game said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:  Integrated with Motherboard
Motherboard:
ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Atom C2550 Motherboard  ($278.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $318.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-23 22:31 EDT-0400

Building one give more flexibility I guess... at least it is possible to upgrade and add more disks.

No case, no psu, you are in the budget

2 3or4 tb drives cost 200 and 300 respectively. a bit over budget.

4 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

2 3or4 tb drives cost 200 and 300 respectively. a bit over budget.

2x3tb is around 200 + 150 for the setup is 350.

EDIT: If you don't plan on expanding you can do it for 300.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LJ2jYJ

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

I added a link to a setup for 290. It just depends on what you value more. Ease of setup or expandibility and options. If you just want to do the easiest one, the WD cloud isn't a bad deal, but the pc lets you expand on it later and setup raid and other things. Also if you don't care too much about power you can get a used 50 dollar computer and save an extra 100 dollars.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

I added a link to a setup for 290. It just depends on what you value more. Ease of setup or expandibility and options. If you just want to do the easiest one, the WD cloud isn't a bad deal, but the pc lets you expand on it later and setup raid and other things. Also if you don't care too much about power you can get a used 50 dollar computer and save an extra 100 dollars.

Shouldn't I get red drives?

1 minute ago, Hulkbert said:

Shouldn't I get red drives?

Yes red drives are slightly better, but if you're considering a WD cloud setup, I assumed you didn't care too much about performance or longevity (the WD Cloud ones probably come with their basic drives).

EDIt; performance wouldn't be too different with RED's it's mainly about longevity.

Yes red drives are slightly better, but if you're considering a WD cloud setup, I assumed you didn't care too much about performance or longevity (the WD Cloud ones probably come with their basic drives).

EDIt; performance wouldn't be too different with RED's it's mainly about longevity.

Well, I need it to last a while. So, shouldn't I go with reds?

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Well, I need it to last a while. So, shouldn't I go with reds?

It really depends on how much you're going to be using it. If it's just for like backups and saving files etc then this setup is just fine. If you're going to be using it to store important files and use for hours and hours everyday then RED's would be better, but more important than RED's is getting a NAS OS like FreeNAS or OMV etc.

Remember a RAID setup is not an alternative for a proper backup especially for important files.

It really depends on how much you're going to be using it. If it's just for like backups and saving files etc then this setup is just fine. If you're going to be using it to store important files and use for hours and hours everyday then RED's would be better, but more important than RED's is getting a NAS OS like FreeNAS or OMV etc.

I would just use it to do backups and pull files when I'm on the go.

1 minute ago, Hulkbert said:

I would just use it to do backups and pull files when I'm on the go.

In that case stick with standard drives. It'll save you money and you won't lose out on any benefits.

Also what do you mean by pull files when on the go? Are you trying to access them from outside your home?

Just now, bobhays said:

In that case stick with standard drives. It'll save you money and you won't lose out on any benefits.

Ok, thanks.