what is the different between kailh and cherry mx?

so I currently using thermaltake poseidon z keyboard (using kailh blue). So far i love it. My brother is wanting get himself a mechanical keyboard (he consider brown switches). He believe that cherry mx has higher quality than kailh. what is guys opinion on this? I have seen that cherry mx price is abit more premium than kailh switches. does kailh and cherry mx is actually share similar quality? thanks guys

I think Cherry is supposed to higher quality, but the more important part is that they have a wider variety of switches to suit your needs. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Cherry MX switches are supposed to be some of the highest quality switches you can get. LTT even did a factory tour last year or the year before.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Cherry is the best

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Both Kailh and Cherry are good. Cherry just have a better rep since they're made in germany, and cost more. Kailh switches are  carbon copies of Cherry switches, but are sold for a lower price, since they're made in China.

http://imgur.com/a/7ujle

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

2 hours ago, afyeung said:

I think Cherry is supposed to higher quality, but the more important part is that they have a wider variety of switches to suit your needs. 

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Cherry MX switches are supposed to be some of the highest quality switches you can get. LTT even did a factory tour last year or the year before.

2 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

Both Kailh and Cherry are good. Cherry just have a better rep since they're made in germany, and cost more. Kailh switches are  carbon copies of Cherry switches, but are sold for a lower price, since they're made in China.

http://imgur.com/a/7ujle

so to simplify what you guys try to tell me is that "If you're on budget, go for kailh. If you want high quality/ have budget to burn, go for cherry mx" correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Mrtrickzter

4 minutes ago, Mrtrickzter said:

"If you're on budget, go for kailh. If you have a budget to burn, go for cherry mx"

fix'd

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

6 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

fix'd

lolz couldn't able to fix it on time but thanks anw

A few years ago Cherry's patent on their switches expired so Kaihl took advantage and made almost identical switches.

15 hours ago, Enderman said:

Cherry is the best

Compared to kaihl, but defiantly not overall. Much better switches available.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Kailh produces cheaper clones of cherry switches. As such they are similar but are of lower quality.

If the price difference was enough I'd have Kailh and just replace any keys that might die. I've never had a hard time finding a good keyboard with upper-market switches for a reasonable price though, so I'm not really sure cheap switches ever makes a lotta sense - I suspect it's one of those things that the manufacturer saves on, but doesn't pass those savings along.

i have both keith and cherry mx red, now cherry is gold plated yada yada, fancy words.

in reality, cherry go down slightly smoother, kind of like marshmallow, where khail ones are more like theres a little bit of sand/flour there, like lubricated vs. not lubricated. It's very mild. now it might be batch difference what not, but that is the only difference i notice in actual life.

other than that they seem identical, khail is slightly heavier i think, so very slightly harder springs? but i don't have anything to test it with, so it might be just my imagination or different feeling keycaps. i can't be arsed to swap caps from qpad mk-70 and zm-500... caps are made of different materials too, as mk-70 is backlit, zalman isn't, just painted on symbols on them.

all in all, cherry mx has better rep, but they're pretty much identical. i guess khail might oxidize if you're in super humid place as they're not gold plated, but i'ts unlikely...