YouTube song cover

3 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Not gonna lie i want to make money out of this, but i dont set it as my main goal. I will do it just because i like to do it something like hoby you know and maybe over time i will get some cash as reward. 

Just as an idea, ive had over 20k views and made $0 :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Just as an idea, ive had over 20k views and made $0 :P

Well as i know it doesn't matter how many views you got as long as you are not partner with someone right? 

I am not so familiar with the YouTube things, but i am interested in learning them. :)

So i am not surprised you didn't earn anything as reward. Dunno how to join or get partner invite tho..... Hope to learn over time :D 

Edit: I heard that if you partner with someone or something like that you get 1$ for 500views 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Covers are not protected under fair use if you use the same lyrics and same melody.
If they were then nobody would ever get in trouble for singing happy birthday. It only counts as being transformative/parody if you for example change the lyrics (Weird Al style).

You are however allowed to do covers (without changing the melody or lyrics) if you get a so called mechanical license, and pay a royalty to the copyright holder of the song. The mechanical license only covers audio though, so for a YouTube video you will also need a synchronization license. The copyright holder can not deny you a mechanical license as long as you pay the appropriate royalty (based on how much you earn from the cover), but they can deny you the sync license. YouTube has however already negotiated sync licenses with a lot of publishers, and in return they get some of the ad revenue.

That's how it is suppose to work at least... On YouTube your video will get flagged/removed and then they will ask the question "was this actually copyright infringement".

The TL;DR is that no, you are not allowed to just make covers and upload them to YouTube. You have to get the proper licenses for it first.

Sources:

Harry Fox

Legal Zoom

Generic Fair Use

Examples of people's YouTube accounts being deleted for making covers

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

SNIP

Wow thanks for that, i guess i was completely wrong 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Covers are not protected under fair use if you use the same lyrics and same melody.
If they were then nobody would ever get in trouble for singing happy birthday. It only counts as being transformative/parody if you for example change the lyrics.

You are however allowed to do covers (without changing the melody or lyrics) if you get a so called mechanical license, and pay a royalty to the copyright holder of the song. The mechanical license only covers audio though, so for a YouTube video you will also need a synchronization license. The copyright holder can not deny you a mechanical license as long as you pay the appropriate royalty (based on how much you earn from the cover), but they can deny you the sync license. YouTube has however already negotiated sync licenses with a lot of publishers, and in return they get some of the ad revenue.

That's how it is suppose to work at least... On YouTube your video will get flagged/removed and then they will ask the question "was this actually copyright infringement".

The TL;DR is that no, you are not allowed to just make covers and upload them to YouTube. You have to get the proper licenses, for it first.

Sources:

Harry Fox

Legal Zoom

Generic Fair Use

Examples of people's YouTube accounts being deleted for making covers

O man this is so complicate with license's payments..... :/ Well if i dont make single buck of the cover will they still take it down? 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

2 minutes ago, Redjo said:

O man this is so complicate with license's payments..... 

Yeah copyright sucks... You also have to remember that what I said is how it is according to the law. The way YouTube handles it (throw the ban hammer first, ask questions later) and how publishers handles it differs as well. Some publishers are perfectly fine with covers because they see it as free publicity. Some will be fine with covers as long as they also benefit (for example take portion of your profits). And then we got some that are assholes and will have your account deleted.

It's quite the minefield.

20 minutes ago, Redjo said:

O man this is so complicate with license's payments..... :/ Well if i dont make single buck of the cover will they still take it down? 

Whether or not you monetize your video is completely unrelated to copyright.

If the owner wants to take down their content, they may do so regardless if you're trying to make money off them or not.

As Lawlz has already posted, covers do NOT fall under fair use.

1 hour ago, Redjo said:

Well as i know it doesn't matter how many views you got as long as you are not partner with someone right? 

I am not so familiar with the YouTube things, but i am interested in learning them. :)

So i am not surprised you didn't earn anything as reward. Dunno how to join or get partner invite tho..... Hope to learn over time :D 

Edit: I heard that if you partner with someone or something like that you get 1$ for 500views 

No, if you're not partnered with anyone you must reach certain caps before YT transfers the money to you (different regions have different thresholds).

source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72902?hl=en

If you are in a network they should transfer the money regularly after they that their cut. Even if it's $0.15/month lol (heard this but I'm not in a network to confirm)

source: shiz I heard....

edit to your edit: Those $1 per things are real but only for the big guys.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 hours ago, AyeJayKay said:

Whether or not you monetize your video is completely unrelated to copyright.

If the owner wants to take down their content, they may do so regardless if you're trying to make money off them or not.

As Lawlz has already posted, covers do NOT fall under fair use.

Well at all i will try to secure myself before i make the cover for the song i want. I will do tons of research etc..... THEN do it. 

1 hour ago, GeekJump said:

edit to your edit: Those $1 per things are real but only for the big guys.

For example how big? :)

Project Redline: 

16 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Well at all i will try to secure myself before i make the cover for the song i want. I will do tons of research etc..... THEN do it. 

well  ive earned £7 :P but i dont think i get paid out until im much bigger :P

19 minutes ago, Redjo said:

I don't know because I'm not one of them xD

Those Google Answer posts give pretty good details for general questions and example cases. But for the high $ CPM numbers I'm assuming it's case-by-case

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)