"dummy" file in recycle bin?

so ive noticed over the past few days, that a file titled "dummy" keeps showing up in my recycling bin. WTF is IT? no matter how many times i delete it, a day or so later, another one will show up

29 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Everybody chant it with me!

Vi-

-rus!

Vi-

-rus!

i figured that this is what it could be, but ive ran a few scans and nothing seems to be popping up.

32 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Restart your PC?

this is actually when it happens mostly. when i restart my pc

Just now, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

i figured that this is what it could be, but ive ran a few scans and nothing seems to be popping up.

Scans with what anti-virus?

You can go and hunt down free versions of anti-virus scanners from various providers, as well as use non-branded anti-virus scanners. I know McAfee cleared up my computer a while back, but Kaspersky or BitDefender might find something else that McAfee didn't.

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Scans with what anti-virus?

You can go and hunt down free versions of anti-virus scanners from various providers, as well as use non-branded anti-virus scanners. I know McAfee cleared up my computer a while back, but Kaspersky or BitDefender might find something else that McAfee didn't.

lol, I'm still using the free 90 days that came with Norton. that's what i ran it with. also something to note, ive not noticed any strange or uncommon processes running in my task manager, unless ive overlooked something.

Just now, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

lol, I'm still using the free 90 days that came with Norton. that's what i ran it with. also something to note, ive not noticed any strange or uncommon processes running in my task manager, unless ive overlooked something.

Honestly, even when you set the task manager set to show processes from all users, it will still hide a lot of things from you. And their is also a host processes, svchost, which hosts the processes required by 'services'. Most viruses just hide their processes as a service which masks their actual process title.

7 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Honestly, even when you set the task manager set to show processes from all users, it will still hide a lot of things from you. And their is also a host processes, svchost, which hosts the processes required by 'services'. Most viruses just hide their processes as a service which masks their actual process title.

ah, i see. well, ill run another deep scan and try another program to run wiht

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

ah, i see. well, ill run another deep scan and try another program to run wiht

It almost seems like the virus (if it is a virus) is trying to fill space on your HDD by generating new documents every time you restart your computer. Its actually kind of smart, running the code in the start-up processes, after all, humans have terrible change-blindness. If you want to try something real quick, take a detailed look at how much storage space has been used on your HDD, write it down somewhere, and then restart your computer. If the used storage space changed after being restarted, then you that you have a virus.

Just now, positivePXL said:

It almost seems like the virus (if it is a virus) is trying to fill space on your HDD by generating new documents every time you restart your computer. Its actually kind of smart, running the code in the start-up processes, after all, humans have terrible change-blindness. If you want to try something real quick, take a detailed look at how much storage space has been used on your HDD, write it down somewhere, and then restart your computer. If the used storage space changed after being restarted, then you know that you have a virus.

2 hours ago, positivePXL said:

So, i ran another full scan. Nothing. Ive restarted my computer multiple times since my last quote, and i haven't gotten anymore of those "dummy" files. the only thing that i could say had an effect on it, was that i deleted my entire "download" sub-folder in "my PC". I noticed that the properties of the file "dummy", said that it originated in said folder.

this is so crazy... still nothing. ive tried avast, mccafee, Norton.... none can come up with a virus. but, it still keeps getting generated in my recycling bin... wtf

• 3 months later...

Did you get this figured out? I am having the same problem.

no, i wish i would have. i actually ended up having to wipe the hard drives and start with a fresh install of windows. i pm'd you