EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC or MSI Radeon R9 390 ??

IslandStone
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,
5 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Yeah I think so too :D 

Definitely Free-Sync + 390 - not only is it cheaper but the 390 performs about 5% better in DX11 and over 30% better in DX12

I'm building a new computer, and I problem in deciding which to chose.

Both cards are the EXACT SAME PRICE here, and the monitors with free sync definitely are way cheaper than the ones with g-sync. Therefore i am leaning towards the R9 390.

However, when i do game (not all that often), i tend to play CS:S or CS:GO. How does the AMD card perform with Counter-Strike?? That is my biggest worry, and reason why i have still not ordered one of them.

Other things to mention:

- I have a beefy PSU, which is capable of AMD without problems, and the price of electricity is very very low here.

- Will game occasionally, but work with 3D program such as Autocad as well.

Need more info , let me know..! Thanks for any respond!

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

390/970 is overkill af for CS:GO

But if you wan't the amd does give a preformance edge

either cards are great

I know... Not a very dedicated CS gamer either, so might as well play other games, who knows.. :) 

Though i have heard some people have had issues with Counter-Strike and AMD GPU's, and since the GPU's I've mentioned are complete overkills in term of price/performance, the least i want to be sure of is that there are no flicker/tearingg/fps-issues.

Just now, IslandStone said:

I know... Not a very dedicated CS gamer either, so might as well play other games, who knows.. :) 

Though i have heard some people have had issues with Counter-Strike and AMD GPU's, and since the GPU's I've mentioned are complete overkills in term of price/performance, the least i want to be sure of is that there are no flicker/tearingg/fps-issues.

Nah, you will be fine on the 390

I had the EVGA 970 SSC and the Sapphire R9 390 I found that when I benchmarked and played real case games the GTX 970 faster at 1080p. I was surprised because everyone says go with the R9 390. 

1 minute ago, Kickflapper said:

I had the EVGA 970 SSC and the Sapphire R9 390 I found that when I benchmarked and played real case games the GTX 970 faster at 1080p. I was surprised because everyone says go with the R9 390. 

That is because the 390 is better at higher resolutions. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Kickflapper said:

I see... Are one or the other noticeably louder when under stress?

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

That is because the 390 is better at higher resolutions. 

yeah, but I'm playing on 144hz monitor and not going over 1080p to get the fps

2 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

That is pretty strange..

At my i was at LAN with my guy with a 970 and 390, the guy with the 390 beats him almost every game

Thouhg being completely honest his drivers crashed alot most likely because he never did a faking clean install, he never listens to me

The biggest reason why I ever question my original first chice (the gtx 977 SSC), was that I'll save 200-300 USD from buying the much cheaper Freesync monitor, compared to the ones that are G-Sync compatible.

1 minute ago, IslandStone said:

I see... Are one or the other noticeably louder when under stress?

It the R9 390 was little louder, but I might of just had bad luck because it was from coil wine

G-sync is gonna be more expensive and that sucks. I really like EVGA, there support is awesome but they don't make AMD cards :(

Yeah that sucks....

I guess Freesync is cheaper and more future proof (monitor wise)?

G-sync is gonna be more expensive and that sucks. I really like EVGA, there support is awesome but they don't make AMD cards :(

Upper post lol, forgot to Quote

I really don't like NVidia's latest drivers, it's been crashing and restoring frequently and it's pretty annoying.

I will g-sync and freesync will help a lot in games like counter-strike, I would recommend going 144hz if you can afford it

1 minute ago, dappy10 said:

I really don't like NVidia's latest drivers, it's been crashing and restoring frequently and it's pretty annoying.

did you use display driver uninstall?

did you use display driver uninstall?

What's that? Do previous drivers not uninstall whenever a new one is installed via GeForce Experience?

I will g-sync and freesync will help a lot in games like counter-strike, I would recommend going 144hz if you can afford it

Yeah aiming for either Asus og Acer 144hz 27 inch 2560x1440 monitors (MG278Q/MG269Q/XF270HU) where I'm able to save a lot compared to G-sync

20 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Plus the 390 is the better OCer of the two. 

Are you sure? That's the first I've ever heard of that.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Yes it's a very good free app, a lot of times drivers and registries will remain half installed on you computer, DDU will reset your computer into safemode and completely remove drivers for a clean install. I have changed videocards like 10 times in the last month 0 issues . I would recommend using it and reinstalling current drivers

5 minutes ago, dappy10 said:

What's that? Do previous drivers not uninstall whenever a new one is installed via GeForce Experience?

Yes it's a very good free app, a lot of times drivers and registries will remain half installed on you computer, DDU will reset your computer into safemode and completely remove drivers for a clean install. I have changed videocards like 10 times in the last month 0 issues . I would recommend using it and reinstalling current drivers

4 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try it when I get home

10 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Yeah aiming for either Asus og Acer 144hz 27 inch 2560x1440 monitors (MG278Q/MG269Q/XF270HU) where I'm able to save a lot compared to G-sync

For csgo, that should be good