Anyone else update to Ubuntu 16.04 yet?

I just upgraded my Kubuntu system to 16.04 and it's great. Only problem I had so far was getting Rofi to work in my i3 config, turns out it just needed me to change the padding so that it fit the screen (wasn't a problem before, so that's kinda weird). Anybody else upgrade yet? Post your experience with it so far!

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

nope - was hard enough getting some of my packages installed for 15.10 let alone something as new as 16.04.
Unfortunately it sometimes takes quite some time for official repos to update some of the lib's and stuff that are dependencies on a lot of software.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Yep, I did too. Though I use Ubuntu only to easily get drivers with gallium nine and patched wine for gaming(yep...I'm lazy). My main is Arch.

I don't use Ubuntu, but I did try the new release (and a couple of skews) in a virtual machine. As an Arch user I see no reason to consider moving to Ubuntu, but it's a nice update for those who were using an older version.

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

nope - was hard enough getting some of my packages installed for 15.10 let alone something as new as 16.04.
Unfortunately it sometimes takes quite some time for official repos to update some of the lib's and stuff that are dependencies on a lot of software.

This is an LTS release, those problems shouldn't be there

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Ethann_AKA_CPU1 said:

sadly will have to run windows until i can afford a gpu :(

Why? Driver issues?

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

I tried it live, doesn't seem bad though I had some issues with hostapd, I'm back on my installed 15 until 16.04 gets some bugs fixed and the community shifts

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I have! But I'm running it in virtual machine just in case something goes wrong. You never know.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I am going to update to it once I replace the drive in my laptop which is coming soon, my first plan is to use Ubuntu 16.04 if the disk I made works (can't boot from flash drives) or I am installing kubuntu and then upgrading from there

On 4/21/2016 at 6:51 PM, steezemageeze said:

I just upgraded my Kubuntu system to 16.04 and it's great. Only problem I had so far was getting Rofi to work in my i3 config, turns out it just needed me to change the padding so that it fit the screen (wasn't a problem before, so that's kinda weird). Anybody else upgrade yet? Post your experience with it so far!

Just did a fresh install of Mate 16.04 works great no issues so far. It even picked up my GTX 980ti's driver automatically!

i've updated my main machine to lubuntu 16.04 and it seems to be running better than on 15.04

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

Just installed my first Linux and it happened to be 16.04 Ubuntu.  I'm new to this world so please let me know if this is to be expected.   Complaints are that I had to reboot my isp router to get the terminal download speed up above the kb range.   The browser download speed was just fine.  I also had to reboot my cpu after I inputted the wifi password and manually downloaded gtx550 ti  driver for them to be recognized.  While I'm looking at the results from a search engine the arrow doesn't turn into a hand immediately over the words.  Instead I have to search somewhere above for it to click.   A little too gimmicky so far in this short experience.   

Do you all have a suggestion for a more stable version of ubuntu?  I don't know all the xu/ku/ubuntu differences yet so I'll take a look at those in a bit.   

17 hours ago, GhostWing said:

Just installed my first Linux and it happened to be 16.04 Ubuntu.  I'm new to this world so please let me know if this is to be expected.   Complaints are that I had to reboot my isp router to get the terminal download speed up above the kb range.   The browser download speed was just fine.  I also had to reboot my cpu after I inputted the wifi password and manually downloaded gtx550 ti  driver for them to be recognized.  While I'm looking at the results from a search engine the arrow doesn't turn into a hand immediately over the words.  Instead I have to search somewhere above for it to click.   A little too gimmicky so far in this short experience.   

Do you all have a suggestion for a more stable version of ubuntu?  I don't know all the xu/ku/ubuntu differences yet so I'll take a look at those in a bit.   

You could try Ubuntu 15.10 and see if those problems are persistent I guess. It's still supported and there isn't a huge reason to use 16.04 yet, some of us are just early adopters, and as a result we'll very likely run into some bugs. I also recommend Linux Mint as a pretty painless distro. I was kinda opposed to it for a while, for a few reasons that I won't go into, but here I am typing this reply on a machine running it. It is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and will be updating to 16.04 LTS (they skip non LTS versions for stability reasons) in a few months, and by that time, hopefully 16.04 will have matured.

Oh and the only difference between xu/ku/ubuntu, etc is essentially the desktop environment, what you see on screen. Kubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME are the most resource-intensive DE's, while Xubuntu and Lubuntu are much lighter. Ubuntu MATE is somewhere in the middle.

Thanks Steeze!  

After running through hours of youtube and reading on the Mint, Fedora, Gnome, Xfce, Mate, and Cinnamon Linux combinations, I'm about to try an install of Korora 23 Cinnamon (I didn't like the wobbly window drag on Mate).   I didn't know there were so many sub Linux cutures.   Main reason for me in picking this right now is that I need something a little more n00b and stable friendly since my main goal is to learn the basic blocks of programming.   I also like how it comes ready with the multiple workstations like I saw in a Gnome version.   Hopefully Korora 23 Cinnamon and I can be friends!

7 hours ago, GhostWing said:

Thanks Steeze!  

After running through hours of youtube and reading on the Mint, Fedora, Gnome, Xfce, Mate, and Cinnamon Linux combinations, I'm about to try an install of Korora 23 Cinnamon (I didn't like the wobbly window drag on Mate).   I didn't know there were so many sub Linux cutures.   Main reason for me in picking this right now is that I need something a little more n00b and stable friendly since my main goal is to learn the basic blocks of programming.   I also like how it comes ready with the multiple workstations like I saw in a Gnome version.   Hopefully Korora 23 Cinnamon and I can be friends!

Korora is a great distro! I'd say it's one of my favorite distros. Glad to hear you found something you like :D

On 22/04/2016 at 11:05 AM, Sauron said:

This is an LTS release, those problems shouldn't be there

Well I can verify first hand that they very much are. I upgraded, then immediately reverted back when the Kodi repository was utterly broken and the guy fixing it was on holiday. I'll give it another try in a couple of weeks or so.

Just updated (fresh install), had to install a .deb file through the terminal because the software center is broken. #nice.

Lord of Helium.

2 hours ago, Burusutazu said:

Just updated (fresh install), had to install a .deb file through the terminal because the software center is broken. #nice.

Is that bug strictly on Ubuntu Unity? I've been hearing about it a lot but haven't had any trouble with it on Kubuntu (Muon Discover vs GNOME Software maybe?)

12 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Well I can verify first hand that they very much are. I upgraded, then immediately reverted back when the Kodi repository was utterly broken and the guy fixing it was on holiday. I'll give it another try in a couple of weeks or so.

yeah, turns out it's not quite as stable as promised

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

Is that bug strictly on Ubuntu Unity? I've been hearing about it a lot but haven't had any trouble with it on Kubuntu (Muon Discover vs GNOME Software maybe?)

It seems to only be ubuntu with unity. Still, synaptic and other graphical package management tools work just fine on there, so you aren't forced to use the terminal if you don't want to.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

55 minutes ago, Sauron said:

yeah, turns out it's not quite as stable as promised

That's hardly a fair thing to say. It's down to the repository owners to keep their repository up to date and functional. It's not a fault of the OS if they aren't on top of it.

A new post on the forum thread I read this on has said that they have since fixed the PPA so I'll probably install it on my media PC today.

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

It seems to only be ubuntu with unity. Still, synaptic and other graphical package management tools work just fine on there, so you aren't forced to use the terminal if you don't want to.

It's any distrobution using the new gnome software. I run Xubuntu.

Lord of Helium.

Yep, I'm on Ubuntu GNOME 16.04, I like it but it isn't without issues, mostly poor implementation of Gnome features.