Thermal pads vs. thermal compound

DragonTamer1

I noticed the other day that the VRM on my motherboard is lacking heat sinks. After running a quick CPU stress test I noticed that the VRMs were getting up to 95*C. I'm very cheap, so instead of buying heat sinks online I'm just going to machine a scrap block of aluminum that I've got lying around.

I noticed that the motherboard even has holes for where a heat sink was supposed to be but never installed (probably to save on cost). The question that I have is should I try to machine the block so that it mounts to the holes with screws and nylon washers and use thermal paste as the interface material or should I just get some thermal pads and simplify the process? I know the thermal compound will transfer the heat better but it process is more complicated and I only have enough scrap for one attempt.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

The VRM's are manufactured to stand high heath so any cooling is a plus (and good if you want to OC), thermal pads should do the trick and be really easy to place and remove where I think thermal paste would mostly make a mess but indeed conducts better.

To go the paste route you'd need to measure the height of each VRM and machine the base of the sink accordingly.  Otherwise I'd be concerned that you might not get good contact.

This really is the sort of application that pads are intended for.