Wireless VR

Do You think this idea for wireless VR should be featured on LTT  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do You think this idea for wireless VR should be featured on LTT

• Yes, Good idea mate
    • No, Stop wasting your time and die in a hole

I wonder if it is possible to make a completely wireless VR experience using the vive and the nvidia shield along with some sort of battery strapped to one's self. If this suggestion is possible i would love to see it on LTT. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

JDHD

Nope not possible you need to have all the vive hardware and sensors connected to a windows PC in order for them to function

Better off getting a laptop and putting it all in there or something but you still need the sensors connected somehow

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

ltt actually demoed something similar. i believe it was some sort of backpack that you could attach your laptop to and game stream from desktop to it. Still, the major bottleneck would be power. Batteries are heavy, and in order to power a computer at VR load, well, it wouldn't be easy to do with a battery. Odds are you would need some massive 100+ lb battery in order to even give yourself a short amount of use time. As far as your idea with the Shield, as far as i know, there is many connectors that need to be connected directly to the compute, and also the shield would add latency. In order for vr to work it needs to be very low latency and input lag. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Your idea wouldn't work since low latency is necessary without it you will experience all kinds of motion sicknes and you won't feel immersed at all.

one of the reasons the vive is (arguably) the best vr experiences out there is because of the almost zero latency with the screen, the game,the controllers ,etc

Not to connect the Display to the PC sounds realy smart. ?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I mean I'm sure you could, but latency is a big issue with VR and while input lag doesn't bother me, it makes me feel very uncomfortable in VR.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti