Windows Deactivated After Updates Were Installed

z123killer

So yesterday I let my computer install updates overnight and today when I turned it on it says that windows is not activated. It is Windows 10 btw

Has this happened to you? and how do I reactivate Windows?

May be some random activation check error, give it some time and it should reactivate without problems

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

4 minutes ago, z123killer said:

So yesterday I let my computer install updates overnight and today when I turned it on it says that windows is not activated. It is Windows 10 btw

Settings > Update and Security > Activation

Then hit activate product key, or change product key and punch your key in. Worked fine for me when I changed hardware. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 minutes ago, z123killer said:

How did you install Windows 10 on your machine? Was it an upgrade, retail version, OEM system builder, etc?

7 minutes ago, z123killer said:

and how do I reactivate Windows?

I have limited experience with Win 10. But it will take the activation key from win 7,8,8.1 .  So, just re-enter the key, it is either on a sticker somewhere on your tower, or if you built the system, it is in the case of the install CD.

If this copy of windows was obtained though less than legitimate means (Pirating) you may be outta luck. I could tell you, but I'm pretty sure its against the CoC. Google is your friend.

1 minute ago, danoedel97 said:

I have limited experience with Win 10. But it will take the activation key from win 7,8,8.1 .  So, just re-enter the key, it is either on a sticker somewhere on your tower, or if you built the system, it is in the case of the install CD.

If this copy of windows was obtained though less than legitimate means (Pirating) you may be outta luck. I could tell you, but I'm pretty sure its against the CoC. Google is your friend.

7 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Settings > Update and Security > Activation

Then hit activate product key, or change product key and punch your key in. Worked fine for me when I changed hardware. 

Problem is I don't have the key, my computer stopped working a while ago so I gave it to a friend and I had windows 7, when he finished fixing it he brought it back with windows 10 installed, it was activated for about a month now but when I did the update yesterday it suddenly says that it is not activated 

9 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

How did you install Windows 10 on your machine? Was it an upgrade, retail version, OEM system builder, etc?

my computer stopped working a while ago so I gave it to a friend and I had windows 7, when he finished fixing it he brought it back with windows 10 installed, and I don't know the method he used to install windows 10

1 minute ago, z123killer said:

my computer stopped working a while ago so I gave it to a friend and I had windows 7, when he finished fixing it he brought it back with windows 10 installed, and I don't know the method he used to install windows 10

Probably in his sleep... (Win 7 computers will do the install itself if you don't stop it. )

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Problem is I don't have the key, my computer stopped working a while ago so I gave it to a friend and I had windows 7, when he finished fixing it he brought it back with windows 10 installed, it was activated for about a month now but when I did the update yesterday it suddenly says that it is not activated 

Just type in your windows 7 key. It should work.

Also, kick your friend's ass for forcing you to use Win 10.

3 minutes ago, danoedel97 said:

Just type in your windows 7 key. It should work.

Also, kick your friend's ass for forcing you to use Win 10.

I don't have the windows 7 key either.

And my computer is old and so when he switched to windows 10 it became a lot faster.

I don't have the windows 7 key either.

And my computer is old and so when he switched to windows 10 it became a lot faster.

Well, then back to the questions, how did you get the OS?

Was is installed on a prebuilt machine?

Did you install it on there?

Is the OS legit or pirated?

1 minute ago, danoedel97 said:

I'm thinking it may have either been pirated or was gotten off of a "grey market" site like kinguin.net or G2A. If that's the case and Microsoft did in a bunch of keys through an update you may be s.o.l.

10 minutes ago, danoedel97 said:

1. My friend installed it some way that I don't know of 

2. it is a laptop

3. No my friend did 

4. I don't know

1. My friend installed it some way that I don't know of 

2. it is a laptop

3. No my friend did 

4. I don't know

11 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm thinking it may have either been pirated or was gotten off of a "grey market" site like kinguin.net or G2A. If that's the case and Microsoft did in a bunch of keys through an update you may be s.o.l.

On a laptop you have a good chance you have a legit copy. Look on the bottom of the laptop. It is a blue-ish sticker you are looking for, about 2.5in wide. Sometimes they put it underneath the battery, so if you can't find it, take that out and check the battery compartment.

2 minutes ago, danoedel97 said:

On a laptop you have a good chance you have a legit copy. Look on the bottom of the laptop. It is a blue-ish sticker you are looking for, about 2.5in wide. Sometimes they put it underneath the battery, so if you can't find it, take that out and check the battery compartment.

I couldn't find the sticker anywhere. and also this machine is 5 years old and have been though many reinstalls of windows so it might not be the same legit windows copy when I first got it (I have done none of the many reinstalls so I don't know if I got a legit copy or not)

1 hour ago, z123killer said:

I couldn't find the sticker anywhere. and also this machine is 5 years old and have been though many reinstalls of windows so it might not be the same legit windows copy when I first got it (I have done none of the many reinstalls so I don't know if I got a legit copy or not)

Then I can't really help you much further. Until you have anything that says otherwise, we both have to assume it is a pirated copy. I will however direct you to the first post I made in this thread. I do not condone piracy, and I will not give you a step by step on this, but there are ways around windows activation.