Chicklet Keycap Removal?

I love my laptop I've used for almost 4 years now (Satellite L755), but it's getting a little gross and not performing as well as it used to. Because of this I'm planning to do a near-full teardown and thorough cleaning of it sometime soon. I was just wondering: will it be possible in this case to take the keycaps off and clean them? They could really use it along with everything else, and it would be a pain to do with them still on the board. Thanks.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

it's possible, but a pain and the mounts are fragile and it's easy to break them... I wouldn't do it

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

2 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

it's possible, but a pain and the mounts are fragile and it's easy to break them... I wouldn't do it

I second this ^

Sometimes you can remove them, but sometimes the part that holds them on the keyboard breaks which kinda sucks :/

You could still try using some canned air on the keyboard

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hmmm...depends on the actual keyboard, I can easily take off the keycaps on IMac/Macs keyboards without damaging them and same goes for the macbooks my school has without damaging anything  (2008-2010 macbooks and don't worry I'm not one of the pupils who fucking takes off the keycaps which makes them have missing keycaps which usually results in the membrane being ripped...) while I can't take off the keycaps off my asus laptop easily without damaging the mounts...so it really depends :P (probably should just stay safe and not do it). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

You could still try using some canned air on the keyboard

Yep, that's probably what I'll go with. Thanks

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmm...depends on the actual keyboard, I can easily take off the keycaps on IMac/Macs without damaging them and same goes for the macbooks my school has without damaging anything  (2008-2010 macbooks and don't worry I'm not one of the pupils who fucking takes off the keycaps which makes them have missing keycaps which usually results in the membrane being ripped...) while I can't take off the keycaps off my asus laptop easily without damaging the mounts...so it really depends :P (probably should just stay safe and not do it). 

Unrelated to the thread, but kids in the school I am in always switched keycaps on the keyboards at school. Both on the standard Dell ones, but also on the laptops which made it so many of the laptops have missing keys or broken keys :P Sometimes for some reason some kids in class took these laptop keycaps and put them in the optical drive.. JUST WHY??!?!?

Or they re arranged the keys to spell other, often vulgar, stuff which was kinda silly to see..

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yep, that's probably what I'll go with. Thanks

Sounds like a good idea :) 

Couple of days ago I took off one keycap on a colleague's laptop keyboard because some keys are not working. I didn't do more than two keys and was very nervous about it actually :P I heard some stores can take apart keyboards (for cleaning or fixing for example) and have warranty in the event of something breaking.

Doesn't sound like you need that though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Unrelated to the thread, but kids in the school I am in always switched keycaps on the keyboards at school. Both on the standard Dell ones, but also on the laptops which made it so many of the laptops have missing keys or broken keys :P Sometimes for some reason some kids in class took these laptop keycaps and put them in the optical drive.. JUST WHY??!?!?

At lease BYOD/BYOC is now a thing for my secondary school (ikr, having lan parties during lunch times is just the cherry on top...) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)