Gaming Laptop or Desktop for College?

OkLoL

Currently I have a HP laptop from 2011. Should I buy a gaming Laptop like the Razer Blade or build a Desktop for the same price? I will be living at home and going to college, and I am a computer science major.

IMO a good gaming laptop is too heavy to transport very much. I'd only get one for trips where I need good horsepower to game, stream, or edit videos.

I'd build a desktop. You'll generally get better performance for the same price.

What's your budget? What games will you be playing? Will you be editing/streaming?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

if both your home and your school have a decent uplink (talking at least 10Mbit both up and down) you'll love what i did:

gaming desktop at home doin' the do

shitty old laptop

teamviewer into the home rig for the numbercrunching in class.

i've done "steam in-home streaming" in college before, so i doubt regular ordinary school work will be an issue.

As a CS student, you need a solid business laptop that's relatively easily portable, can run Linux and Windows very well, is pretty rugged, and ideally, is of a similar model to what everyone else is using. 

In some CS programs, this may very well end up being a Mac, which is a whole 'nother discussion, but if everyone is using a Mac, well, you pretty much are obliged to dance the same tune.  But if its still a PC, I'd suggest figuring out which of the major brands is used heavily in/by the CS department, and buying a nearly identical unit.  Typically it will be one of Dell, HP, or Lenovo.  Refurb business laptops from those names are a dime a dozen.

Go out and buy the proprietary docking station that such laptop usually will attach to, and a pair of nice 24" or 27" business-class screens to connect to it.  This will save you a lot of hassle and probably the USB/Ethernet/Video connectors on your laptop from wearing out/being damaged over time. 

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

IMO a good gaming laptop is too heavy to transport very much. I'd only get one for trips where I need good horsepower to game, stream, or edit videos.

I'd build a desktop. You'll generally get better performance for the same price.

What's your budget? What games will you be playing? Will you be editing/streaming?

2400 max

3 minutes ago, neonfirefox said:

2400 max

@Mark77 had some good points, you probably need a laptop more than a desktop, for classes.

2400 can get you a good gaming laptop, or you can spend ~half, and save up some more for a desktop as well.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, neonfirefox said:

2400 max

Well I picked up a Dell Latitude E6440 the other day with 14.1" 1080p screen for $300, added a SSD and 8gb of RAM for another $100, and for $400, basically have a system which would work just fine as a PC for a CS program.  Leaving you another $2000 to build that crazy gaming rig at home if need be. 

If I had $2400, I'd rather replace my laptop 2 or 3 times (or more) during my course, than spend the whole $2400 up-front and have to use the same hardware for the next 4-5 years.  Or build a proper gaming rig, with proper video cards.  Laptop gaming sucks, and even if you can tolerate spending a lot of money on a laptop, you're still going to suffer poor performance compared to buying a $200 GPU and throwing it in a gaming desktop.

I would say spend maybe ~$600, maybe a bit more, and put the rest into a desktop. You'll have a nice laptop and desktop that will outperform the hefty gaming laptops.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

p.s.  I'd be surprised if you actually did anything in your entire 4-year CS program that couldn't run perfectly and adequately well on even a 9-10-year old laptop.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking that owning a better computer is going to make you a better CS student.  In fact, it may even be the opposite. 

What's the configuration of your HP anyways?  Maybe you could throw a SSD and maybe a little more RAM into it to give you a machine to use until you figure out what the computing environment "on campus" is and then buy a newer/nicer laptop accordingly.

Trust me you don't need anything special for a laptop, build a nice desktop and get a cheap laptop and put an SSD in it. 

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

p.s.  I'd be surprised if you actually did anything in your entire 4-year CS program that couldn't run perfectly and adequately well on even a 9-10-year old laptop.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking that owning a better computer is going to make you a better CS student.  In fact, it may even be the opposite. 

What's the configuration of your HP anyways?  Maybe you could throw a SSD and maybe a little more RAM into it to give you a machine to use until you figure out what the computing environment "on campus" is and then buy a newer/nicer laptop accordingly.

core i3 6gb ram 1tb 7200 drive

3 minutes ago, EIijah said:

Trust me you don't need anything special for a laptop, build a nice desktop and get a cheap laptop and put an SSD in it.

Just along the theme of recommending a 'business' laptop, a nice 'feature' is that parts are usually abundant on eBay and usually relatively cheap.  So if something is broken, its not hard to get a replacement fairly quickly.  Whereas with some of the gamer or consumer-oriented hardware, a year or two from now, if you want a new keyboard, or if you broke a piece of plastic or a hinge, it'll be a much more significant hustle to find replacements. 

Id build a nice gaming desktop and get you a decent laptop. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Short Answer: For 2400$ You can build a nice desktop and pick up a nice ultrabook. Assuming of course you already have a monitor + KB/M.

Long Answer:

I don't know if its your first year at College but if it is trust me carrying around a laptop is a VERY nice thing to have, not a gaming laptop though I know a couple people who lug them around and they HATE it. But a nice ultrabook or a thinner standard 15" laptop very useful and I'd recommend it.

So again, with ~2400$ you can do a ~1200$ Desktop (again assuming you already have a monitor + KB/M) and then get an ultrabook in the ~1000$ range like a Razer Blade Stealth or an XPS series ultrabook from dell to carry around the college!

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

35 minutes ago, Webrider99 said:

Short Answer: For 2400$ You can build a nice desktop and pick up a nice ultrabook. Assuming of course you already have a monitor + KB/M.

Long Answer:

I don't know if its your first year at College but if it is trust me carrying aroudn a laptop is a VERY nice thing to have, not a gaming laptop though I know a couple people who lug them around and they HATE it. But a nice ultrabook or a thinner standard 15" laptop very useful and I'd recommend it.

So again, with ~2400$ you can do a ~1200$ Desktop (again assuming you already have a monitor + KB/M) and then get an ultrabook in the ~1000$ range like a Razer Blade Stealth or an XPS series ultrabook from dell to carry around the college!

As some one who has a Gaming Desktop and Laptop. I wish I didnt buy a Gaming Laptop and bought something with better battery life. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.