Apple will allegedly discontinue the MacBook Air because we need more performance?

AlTech

The thing is, is that Core M is not much of a limitation for OS X? I mean, there's plenty of videos on YouTube of people using the Macbook to edit 4K video in Final Cut Pro.

On paper, yeah, Core M's application in the MacBook is tucking abysmal, with the damned thing thermal throttling, but OS X doesn't have as much bloatware and other background shit running, not to mention Apple's own software suite being well designed that it hardly even matters.

The thing that pisses me off is the thing's awful IO. Only one Type C port, a headphone jack, and a truly awful keyboard. No excuses for any of this, everyone else was able to maintain the same thinness with better results on all fronts.

They should allegedly reduce their product price first instead of doing this shit, you know how many people would buy this if the price was  affordable compared to competition

Details separate people.

17 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

They should allegedly reduce their product price first instead of doing this shit, you know how many people would buy this if the price was  affordable compared to competition

You know how many people would continue to bitch about the price point even when they're priced competitively?

Because the rMBPs/Air were competitive when Haswell/Broadwell was out, and the only reason they're not competitive now is because they don't run Skylake. Not to mention you're talking about a relatively small price premium compared to the competition even now and that can be negated by the better build quality, battery life, and pre-installed applications (iWork, Garageband, iMovie). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You know how many people would continue to bitch about the price point even when they're priced competitively?

Because the rMBPs/Air were competitive when Haswell/Broadwell was out, and the only reason they're not competitive now is because they don't run Skylake. Not to mention you're talking about a relatively small price premium compared to the competition even now and that can be negated by the better build quality, battery life, and pre-installed applications. 

Part of the problem however is that Apple does things such as attach the frame of the screen to the hinge, meaning that the screw holes in the frame which are used to fix the screen in place are a weak point, and the screen's frame cracks which leads to damage to the screen. You should only see retarded design choices like that if it were a cheap laptop, not ones that cost over $1K (note that I am looking at Apple's Macbook Pro and Air as an option for a new laptop, however I pretty much need to see a tear down video first to ensure that the model I'm looking at doesn't have that serious design flaw which Apple has been continuing for years-who knows, they might have fixed it by now)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is good, all they need is the Macbook (ultrabook) and the Macbook Pro retinas, maybe bring back the 17" :D

Simplifies the product lines and makes more sense to the consumer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Now ya going to see what a real gaming laptop is, watch Timmy take ya whole scene by storm.

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Part of the problem however is that Apple does things such as attach the frame of the screen to the hinge, meaning that the screw holes in the frame which are used to fix the screen in place are a weak point, and the screen's frame cracks which leads to damage to the screen. You should only see retarded design choices like that if it were a cheap laptop, not ones that cost over $1K (note that I am looking at Apple's Macbook Pro and Air as an option for a new laptop, however I pretty much need to see a tear down video first to ensure that the model I'm looking at doesn't have that serious design flaw which Apple has been continuing for years-who knows, they might have fixed it by now)

Do you have an example of what you're talking about? I can't quite picture it. 

7 hours ago, AyeJayKay said:

Apple please make Retina MacBook Air. pls

There's only a $200 price gap between the 13" air and the 13" pro and the spec difference is a slower cpu, no Iris graphics, and a lower resolution screen. Bumping the air to a Retina display would make the cost difference like $100 and at that point the air makes no sense (even now the 13" air doesn't make any sense). 

The 11" air is a bit different.

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

This is good, all they need is the Macbook (ultrabook) and the Macbook Pro retinas, maybe bring back the 17" :D

Simplifies the product lines and makes more sense to the consumer

Or....make the bezels on the rMBP reasonable and squeeze a 14/16" screen in instead with some thin bezels. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Do you have an example of what you're talking about? I can't quite picture it. 

There's only a $200 price gap between the 13" air and the 13" pro and the spec difference is a slower cpu, no Iris graphics, and a lower resolution screen. Bumping the air to a Retina display would make the cost difference like $100 and at that point the air makes no sense (even now the 13" air doesn't make any sense). 

The 11" air is a bit different.

Or....make the bezels on the rMBP reasonable and squeeze a 14/16" screen in instead with some thin bezels. 

Through this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7XSckjRPo0

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Id still argue the rMBP build quality is above par for 99% of laptops on the market

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Id still argue the rMBP build quality is above par for 99% of laptops on the market

If they have the same flaw then yes. Although my Presario R3000 and Pavilion DV6 3010AX, both of which rely heavily on plastic, don't have the same flaw. And the DV6 mimics 2009-2010 Macbooks in some ways as well.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

If they have the same flaw then yes. Although my Presario R3000 and Pavilion DV6 3010AX, both of which rely heavily on plastic, don't have the same flaw. And the DV6 mimics 2009-2010 Macbooks in some ways as well.

in 8 years of selling macbooks, friends and family members who have owned them for years, I have never seen a cracked macbook display or hinge (other than somebody smashing the LCD panel)

So i would argue its a weakness that most people will never encounter

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

in 8 years of selling macbooks, friends and family members who have owned them for years, I have never seen a cracked macbook display or hinge (other than somebody smashing the LCD panel)

So i would argue its a weakness that most people will never encounter

Same here. Although anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much to someone other than yourself. 

I I haven't watched that video (because I can't right now), but I'm always cautious with one of rossmans videos he tends to have a bias against Apple (if you watched his videos over the years) and he tends to go a bit over the top imo.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Same here. Although anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much to someone other than yourself. 

I agree, but im talking a store that does £15 million a year with our own tech department and one of the best performing apple stands in the country....

but yeah... still, ive not even heard much about that weakness existing, in fact this is the first time haha

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

"Look I'm jerking it back and forth" - Louis 2016

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I just watched the video and I can't say I've ever seen or experienced any of what he's talking about. The only problem my eight year old MBP has it that the palmrest has been eaten away by sweat/friction. What I've noticed to be a bigger design flaw (as I know several people who have had an issue with it) is the mechanism that holds the display closed (the unlock button, which thankfully was replaced).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I I haven't watched that video (because I can't right now), but I'm always cautious with one of rossmans videos he tends to have a bias against Apple (if you watched his videos over the years) and he tends to go a bit over the top imo.

So a video depicting the flaw is anecdotal? Now if I'd only talked about the design flaw with only hearsay and no visual proof, then you could say that was anecdotal.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I just watched the video and I can't say I've ever seen or experienced any of what he's talking about. The only problem my eight year old MBP has it that the palmrest has been eaten away by sweat/friction. What I've noticed to be a bigger design flaw (as I know several people who have had an issue with it) is the mechanism that holds the display closed (the unlock button, which thankfully was replaced).

And you must be one of the lucky people that's not affected by the design flaw. Just like my Pavilion DV6, its well known that the components of the laptop run hot and can thermal throttle at times due to the poor cooling layout, however in mine while it has the typical too-hot-to-touch palm rest when under load, the CPU+GPU stay under 80oC (unless I overclock the GPU by 120MHz, and run Prime95+Unigine Valley at the same time)..

PMSL

On 4/17/2016 at 11:57 AM, AluminiumTech said:

We should have seen this coming as Apple discontinued the iPad Air line

since when did they discontinue the ipad air? 

Spoiler

Buy iPad Air 2   Apple  UK .png

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

So a video depicting the flaw is anecdotal? Now if I'd only talked about the design flaw with only hearsay and no visual proof, then you could say that was anecdotal.

And you must be one of the lucky people that's not affected by the design flaw. Just like my Pavilion DV6, its well known that the components of the laptop run hot and can thermal throttle at times due to the poor cooling layout, however in mine while it has the typical too-hot-to-touch palm rest when under load, the CPU+GPU stay under 80oC (unless I overclock the GPU by 120MHz, and run Prime95+Unigine Valley at the same time)..

I was quoting @ShadowCaptain when I was talking about anecdotal evidence. i.e. him not having experienced this issue in the store where he works. 

And no, I wouldn't consider myself lucky since it's really not a major issue. Sure, it's a flaw in the design, but it's not a common problem that people have unless people drop their computer frequently. 

1 hour ago, peej said:

since when did they discontinue the ipad air? 

Reveal hidden contents

Buy iPad Air 2   Apple  UK .png

The iPaid Pro Mini was the iPad Air 3. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The problem with Louis Rossman is that he has a bit of Cooper syndrome going for him?

For those of you who don't know, Belton Cooper was a mechanic in World War II who was responsible for the maintenance of Shermans. He wrote a very famous book, which criticized the Sherman as being a very bad tank compared to Panther and Tiger tanks... Ignoring the logistical and strategic advantage that the tanks posed, and that Panthers and Tigers were very rarely encountered on the battlefield.

The thing is, is that Rossman looks at broken Macbooks all day. So he just writes them off as being shit altogether, pointing out how they're flawed and ignoring what they're good at, or if the problems that they have are realistically problems at all.

That's not to say that MacBooks don't have flaws: the big one that is, has always been, and seemingly will always be is the fact that the components don't receive adequate cooling and that they have a very short life expectancy because of it.

40 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

The problem with Louis Rossman is that he has a bit of Cooper syndrome going for him?

For those of you who don't know, Belton Cooper was a mechanic in World War II who was responsible for the maintenance of Shermans. He wrote a very famous book, which criticized the Sherman as being a very bad tank compared to Panther and Tiger tanks... Ignoring the logistical and strategic advantage that the tanks posed, and that Panthers and Tigers were very rarely encountered on the battlefield.

The thing is, is that Rossman looks at broken Macbooks all day. So he just writes them off as being shit altogether, pointing out how they're flawed and ignoring what they're good at, or if the problems that they have are realistically problems at all.

That's not to say that MacBooks don't have flaws: the big one that is, has always been, and seemingly will always be is the fact that the components don't receive adequate cooling and that they have a very short life expectancy because of it.

Thing is, he actually demonstrates where they are bad physically, with evidence that you can see for yourself. That book is just that, a book, and goes over Belton Cooper's opinions not the facts.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Thing is, he actually demonstrates where they are bad physically, with evidence that you can see for yourself. That book is just that, a book, and goes over Belton Cooper's opinions not the facts.

Cooper argued facts too. That doesn't mean that he was right in labeling the Sherman as a bad tank.

7 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Cooper argued facts too. That doesn't mean that he was right in labeling the Sherman as a bad tank.

So...you ignore the evidence that can be plainly seen? I get what your trying to say, but the design of a computer is very different from tank design+deployment+strategies that made them successful/a failure.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

So...you ignore the evidence that can be plainly seen? I get what your trying to say, but the design of a computer is very different from tank design+deployment+strategies that made them successful/a failure.

I'm not ignoring evidence. But saying that something is bad, because of X design flaw... Isn't really credible from the guy who looks at nothing but broken macbooks all day.

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's assuming there would be a price bump of $100 if they updated the MBA with a Retina screen. 

Apple is known to add features to products while at the same time dropping its price. Circa 2013 I think they added faster PCIe storage while making 128gb the standard.