Apple will allegedly discontinue the MacBook Air because we need more performance?

AlTech
1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm not ignoring evidence. But saying that something is bad, because of X design flaw... Isn't really credible from the guy who looks at nothing but broken macbooks all day.

Look, with tanks. People dictate whether a tank is bad or not through their actions, few tanks are outright bad (there are always exceptions, but not many). With laptops, from any manufacturer, if the design causes problems that damage the components and parts over time, its flawed. My 2006 Toshiba Tecra M5, which started at $1.8K USD for the base model, has the same design flaw, and the screen's frame did end up cracking, and I found that out when replacing the backlight bulb as it had snapped.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Look, with tanks. People dictate whether a tank is bad or not through their actions, few tanks are outright bad (there are always exceptions, but not many). With laptops, from any manufacturer, if the design causes problems that damage the components and parts over time, its flawed. My 2006 Toshiba Tecra M5, which started at $1.8K USD for the base model, has the same design flaw, and the screen's frame did end up cracking, and I found that out when replacing the backlight bulb as it had snapped.

Okay, so when exactly did this happen after so long?

11 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Okay, so when exactly did this happen after so long?

2015. And note that from late 2010 - early 2014 it had no use and was packed away because I bought this laptop (then loaned it out early 2014 as I finally got my new desktop and I didn't need a powerhouse of a laptop as much, and loaned this to my stepdad until I could find one that wouldn't mind being mistreated.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

2015. And note that from late 2010 - early 2014 it had no use and was packed away because I bought this laptop (then loaned it out early 2014 as I finally got my new desktop and I didn't need a powerhouse of a laptop as much, and loaned this to my stepdad until I could find one that wouldn't mind being mistreated.

Okay, that's a really fucking long time for a laptop. You do realize this right?

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Okay, that's a really fucking long time for a laptop. You do realize this right?

Its only as long time for those that do not perform even basic maintenance. My old 2003 Compaq Presario R3000 is still running perfectly after over 12 years of use.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Its only as long time for those that do not perform even basic maintenance. My old 2003 Compaq Presario R3000 is still running perfectly after over 12 years of use.

I mean, shit, if that's your prerogative to sit on a machine for that fucking long... Then sure, I can imagine you being fussy when a laptop shits out in that timespan (I mean, it's not like people wouldn't be ecstatic to have their cars to run that long), but I'm not going to fucking hold it against a laptop that, god forbid, it doesn't last a decade.

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I mean, shit, if that's your prerogative to sit on a machine for that fucking long... Then sure, I can imagine you being fussy when a laptop shits out in that timespan (I mean, it's not like people wouldn't be ecstatic to have their cars to run that long), but I'm not going to fucking hold it against a laptop that, god forbid, it doesn't last a decade.

So, being fussy is expecting a laptop that I paid over $2000 for (cost of the Presario, and the Toshiba was the mid range model and over $2K as well) to have none of the flaws found in far cheaper laptops? Apple's laptops realistically have only 1 thing going for them, build quality, as the hardware is far from the best. If you take away the build quality what are you left with? A laptop that is a rip off.

PMSL

31 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So, being fussy is expecting a laptop that I paid over $2000 for (cost of the Presario, and the Toshiba was the mid range model and over $2K as well) to have none of the flaws found in far cheaper laptops? Apple's laptops realistically have only 1 thing going for them, build quality, as the hardware is far from the best. If you take away the build quality what are you left with? A laptop that is a rip off.

They have build quality and a tightly designed software ecosystem.

I mean, fucks sake, I have no desire to even purchase a Macbook, but look at this:

Honestly not surprised to hear the Air going away... Even in 2013 when I pre-ordered my MacBook Pro I felt like the Air was rather irrelevant..

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

They have build quality and a tightly designed software ecosystem.

I mean, fucks sake, I have no desire to even purchase a Macbook, but look at this:

Software=all user preference. And about that build quality, its not as good as it should be for the components used+the price.

PMSL

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I was quoting @ShadowCaptain when I was talking about anecdotal evidence. i.e. him not having experienced this issue in the store where he works. 

And no, I wouldn't consider myself lucky since it's really not a major issue. Sure, it's a flaw in the design, but it's not a common problem that people have unless people drop their computer frequently. 

The iPaid Pro Mini was the iPad Air 3. 

not necessarily they could still bring out a iPad Air 3 with specs somewhere in the middleground of the air 2 and the pro 9.7 

I lurk a lot

3 hours ago, peej said:

not necessarily they could still bring out a iPad Air 3 with specs somewhere in the middleground of the air 2 and the pro 9.7 

They could, but I would be very surprised. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 17/04/2016 at 6:59 AM, Dabombinable said:

Oh they can fuck off. They have the balls to say that after releasing the fucking atrocity called a Macbook last year?

As for the balls, they actually do... Especially with all that c@$# in hand

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

They could, but I would be very surprised. 

Were talking about a company that made the iPad 3 and two months later the 4 with the only difference Beeing the lighting port and the ipadmini 3 then making the iPad mini 4 the next year with the only difference being that it had Touch ID then charging an extra $100 for it so I wouldn't put anything past them tbh. They seem to be in a phase where they want to make as many different overlapping products as possible for some reason. 

I lurk a lot

I have to agree with Apple on this one, what is the actual point in them now? retina MacBooks are a lot better, better screens, more power and only a few hours less on battery life? they are extremely portable also.

The Macbook they created last year (Single port PoS) was just an embarrassment to anyone using Apple products.

The retina macbook pro is a fine laptop and for apple at a great price point for its power and portability I personally do not see the need for anything else in its lineup unless they make a super cheap one or the rumoured ARM macbook.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

18 minutes ago, peej said:

Were talking about a company that made the iPad 3 and two months later the 4 with the only difference Beeing the lighting port and the ipadmini 3 then making the iPad mini 4 the next year with the only difference being that it had Touch ID then charging an extra $100 for it so I wouldn't put anything past them tbh. They seem to be in a phase where they want to make as many different overlapping products as possible for some reason. 

I owned an iPad 4. There was a huge difference between the 3 and 4. They switched the A5X chip to A6X. Double GPU performance and like 50% faster CPU.  And it was more like 5 months not 2.

the iPad Mini 3 was the exception.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, peej said:

The iPad 3 was released in March and the iPad 4 was released in November. Also, the cpu and gpu were different and the 4 came with a 128gb configuration. 

Also, the mini 4 didn't cost $100 more, the mini 3 was just reduced by $100 as it was the previous generation. I agree, $100 for Touch ID is silly, but it's not like they increased the cost of the mini for it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

I have to agree with Apple on this one, what is the actual point in them now? retina MacBooks are a lot better, better screens, more power and only a few hours less on battery life? they are extremely portable also.

The Macbook they created last year (Single port PoS) was just an embarrassment to anyone using Apple products.

The retina macbook pro is a fine laptop and for apple at a great price point for its power and portability I personally do not see the need for anything else in its lineup unless they make a super cheap one or the rumoured ARM macbook.

<sarcasm> It was so embarrassing that many people in my school use Retina MacBooks</sarcasm> . I've seen almost all colors IRL. Gold MacBooks, Space Gray MacBooks but not seen the silver one yet.

They are awesome apart from that Core M. Shove a Core i5 in there and if I had to buy a mac then I would buy a MacBook (only If they added an i5). The embarrassing part is the core M. Nothing with that machine is embarrassing. On the other hand, Anybody using USB in 2016 is an embarrassment, that was so 10 years ago.

I could definitely use a MacBook for what I do except price, RAM and CPU. Change the CPU to an i5 with Iris Graphics, change RAM to optional 16GB (or better yet just make 16Gb default). and lower the price to starting at $1099.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It was so embarrassing that many people in my school use MacBooks from 2015. I've seen almost all colors. Gold MacBooks, Space Gray MacBooks but not silver yet.

They are awesome apart from that Core M. Shove a Core i5 in there and if I had to buy a mac then I would buy one. The embarrassing part is the core M. Nothing else is embarrassing. On the other hand, Anybody using USB in 2016 is an embarrassment, that was so 10 years ago.

I could definitely use a MacBook for what I do except price, RAM and CPU. Change the CPu to an i5 with Iris Graphics, change RAM to optional 16GB (or better yet just make 16Gb default). and lower the price to starting at $1099.

A single Usb-c port is pretty pitiful, I'm sorry. And even the core m throttles, an i5 would be a mess. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A single Usb-c port is pretty pitiful, I'm sorry. And even the core m throttles, an i5 would be a mess. 

I don't need a USB port. All I need a port for is charging and hooking up a projector occasionally. Literally don't need it apart from that.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The iPad 3 was released in March and the iPad 4 was released in November. Also, the cpu and gpu were different and the 4 came with a 128gb configuration. 

Also, the mini 4 didn't cost $100 more, the mini 3 was just reduced by $100 as it was the previous generation. I agree, $100 for Touch ID is silly, but it's not like they increased the cost of the mini for it. 

Thanks for getting his facts straight. Guy was spreading misinformation.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

yeah but you could still get a the same ipad without touch id for $100 less 

I lurk a lot

32 minutes ago, peej said:

yeah but you could still get a the same ipad without touch id for $100 less 

And had the mini 4 not been released the mini 3 would have never been discounted, and it's not like that was a hidden fact. Anyone who took two seconds to look at the spec page would know that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

And had the mini 4 not been released the mini 3 would have never been discounted, and it's not like that was a hidden fact. Anyone who took two seconds to look at the spec page would know that. 

but it wans't discontinued at that point they will still making them and selling them? discontinued it when they competently stop manufacturing them and there not available for sale anymore 

I lurk a lot

6 hours ago, peej said:

Your forgetting the camera that was going to be in the iPad 1, which was then omitted so people would have another "reason" to get the iPad 2.

PMSL