Do i have enough Lanes for M.2 ?

MAROON5

do i have enough lanes to put an m.2 on my pc, i have 2x R9 290x lightning crossfire & i5 4690k

i'm considering "Samsung 950 PRO".

Yes because AMD cards can run a 4x so one will be at 8x one will be at 4x and rest can be for storage.

Unless you're going 4-way crossfire with that 290X, then you're completely fine.

People lately have been worrying about pcie lanes. Honestly, it doesn't effect that much. Either way, there will be a connection to the system, whether its through a direct pcie interface to the cpu, or one of the ones handled by the north bridge.

To give you an idea of what kind of bandwidth a modern pcie 3.0 has, you can put a 290X on a pcie 3.0 x4 slot, and not have its performance degraded in any meaningful way in real-world scenarios. That being said, a simple ssd can run on pcie 3.0 x4 without any issue what-so-ever.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You have enough. Your chipset should provide the 2x or 4x connection that your PCI-E m.2 SSD will need. Before you buy, make sure your motherboard has the proper PCI-E m.2 connection. 

Your 290x's should both run at a 8x connection speed, since your chipset will handle the SSD. 

I used to be quite active here.

RTM (read teh manual)

it'll tell how if the m.2 is running off of the chipset or the pcie lanes of cpu, most likely the chipset for most boards, but chipset m.2 are slower than pcie ones

if you want wicked fast storage, intel 750 series pcie ssd are the fastest of the fastest

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

your CPU has 16 lanes, motherboard chipset has 4

you can run both your GPUs at x8 and SSD at x4

even if you add more stuff in the future your GPUs can run at x4 x4 without a significant performance decrease

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Unless you're going 4-way crossfire with that 290X, then you're completely fine.

People lately have been worrying about pcie lanes. Honestly, it doesn't effect that much. Either way, there will be a connection to the system, whether its through a direct pcie interface to the cpu, or one of the ones handled by the north bridge.

To give you an idea of what kind of bandwidth a modern pcie 3.0 has, you can put a 290X on a pcie 3.0 x4 slot, and not have its performance degraded in any meaningful way in real-world scenarios. That being said, a simple ssd can run on pcie 3.0 x4 without any issue what-so-ever.

if my gpus are running at x8,x4 i will get the same FPS if they are running at x8,x8 ?

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

your CPU has 16 lanes, motherboard chipset has 4

you can run both your GPUs at x8 and SSD at x4

even if you add more stuff in the future your GPUs can run at x4 x4 without a significant performance decrease

does my mother board has extra 4 lanes ?! that means i have 20  lanes, is that true?

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

RTM (read teh manual)

it'll tell how if the m.2 is running off of the chipset or the pcie lanes of cpu, most likely the chipset for most boards, but chipset m.2 are slower than pcie ones

if you want wicked fast storage, intel 750 series pcie ssd are the fastest of the fastest

i would go for intel 750 but my huge gpus are covering all the pci slots :( beside the m.2 looks so cool :x

5 minutes ago, MAROON5 said:

if my gpus are running at x8,x4 i will get the same FPS if they are running at x8,x8 ?

Yes, it honestly wont make a bit of difference.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 minutes ago, MAROON5 said:

does my mother board has extra 4 lanes ?! that means i have 20  lanes, is that true?

most do

http://superuser.com/questions/838092/how-can-mainboards-provide-more-pcie-lanes-than-the-chipset

some have a lot more than 4

usually says in your motherboard manual

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020