New Skylake Build Planning! i5-6600k GTX 970

Okay, I've Never built a PC my self, ever! Me and My Friend will be building this Together. I've Decided on the i5-6600k over the i5-4690k as it was only £10 more and I can upgrade to a newer Skylake CPU later on. I Chose a 120gb SSD as a Boot Drive. The 240GB SSD is for the Games I play Frequently. The 2TB hard Drive is for Programs Like Photoshop, After Effects and Sony Vegas. I chose The GTX 970 Reference Card, yet I know it isnt as good as most of the 970's, Im Getting it as it will help match the color scheme of the build as it has the Green LED 'Geforce GTX' Logo, What would look amazing with the 'Heavily' Smoked Case window on The NZXT Designed By Razer S340. This is a Razer Themed Build if you didn't know that already. 

I will be getting Green/Black Cable Mod to Match the Build. 

I will put all Links for the Part List and Graphics Card Link.

If you have anything to point out about the build, just tell me!

I also need help on finding Monitors (I know this isn't what I'm suppose to talk about this in 'New Builds and Planning') But I want to find a decent monitor with slim bezels and good for gaming. I'm Going to need 3-4 of them (Reason for need of Slim Bezels)

CPU 50d6d4332c55b9c1acc39474c5cefde2.256p.jp £199.99 Buy
CPU Cooler 7cdd6e9ad8fcbd55b14a29f85bfa563d.med.256 £100.12 Buy
Motherboard 73d06fc0160f22e955026205135896c1.256p.jp £122.03 Buy
Memory 8bafbd6b27363f5027f22bcc5eab2803.256p.jp £59.60 Buy
Storage 731ec1020fdd76d2e2eab1e9ca22f5dc.med.256 £37.52 Buy
  07b0c3f671b405a46ce0a9f0a4d83e83.med.256 £59.99 Buy
  ad8e668a94bd177b3fb0a09248cc48a9.med.256 £102.95 Buy
Video Card 666fd7998773e75d1be0ca4442eb2f4c.256p.jp £299.99  
Case 1fef4c4f3e2dac9fe3e9eb77181b6216.256p.jp £79.92 Buy
Power Supply 262d7df5194ea590c550b138822911c5.med.256 £80.28 Buy
Total: £1142.39

PCPartPicker UK Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w3LQjX

GTX 970 Link: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-geforce-gtx-970-nvidia-970-cooler-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-205-ok.html

Cable Mod (Compatible for my PSU): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cablemod-se-series-km3-xm2-xp2-3-fl2-xfx-cable-kit-black-green-cm-049-cm.html

Swap the case for a Fractal R5, and replace the x61, with a Noctua NH-D15.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

why a 120 and 240GB SSD? Get a single 500GB on instead.

Because the 120GB would be a boot Drive with my OS on and The 240gb SSD would be for the games I play Regularly so they boot up quickly.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

Why not just dump everything one a 500GB SSD? You will have more space and virtually no performance impact by dumping everything on the same SSD

Okay, I'd Check it out!

9 minutes ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

I think it all looks good, however, i would recommend a Samsung 850 EVO as an SSD, its really good imo.

The PSU should be good but ive always heard good things about SeaSonic PSU's and certain EVGA PSU's. Maybe you can see if there are any you like.

And one little thing i want to mention, and yes i know that the window is tinted, but if you are doing a black and green build, why is your mobo red and black?

Edited by Made In Canada
Comment Below

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

1 minute ago, Made In Canada said:

The PSU should be good but ive always heard good things about SeaSonic PSU's and certain EVGA PSU's. Maybe you can see if there are any you like.

XFX is a SeaSonic-only OEM rebrander. 

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

Because the 120GB would be a boot Drive with my OS on and The 240gb SSD would be for the games I play Regularly so they boot up quickly.

Have them both on 1 big SSD, trust me,  you will stuff up and fill up you boot SSD games and programs. 

I don't know if Gigabyte still does it,  but they used to have a green accented motherboard, MSI also have a green accented motherboards, but they are fairly low end,  they are called ECO

I think it all looks good, however, i would recommend a Samsung 850 EVO as an SSD, its really good imo.

And one little thing i want to mention, and yes i know that the window is tinted, but if you are doing a black and green build, why is your mobo red and black?

I Couldn't find any Green and Black Mobos except from the Gigabyte G1 Snipers. I've had a look and seems to be bad reviews. But now that you speak about it. I Could get one of those. If its bad. I can send it back.

The XFX Power Supplies are Really good from what ive heard. Everyone I know has one. And I'd take the SSD into Account.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Have them both on 1 big SSD, trust me,  you will stuff up and fill up you boot SSD games and programs. 

I don't know if Gigabyte still does it,  but they used to have a green accented motherboard, MSI also have a green accented motherboards, but they are fairly low end,  they are called ECO

I had a thought about them mobos, and I might buy one. Its just that they had bad reviews. I can always send it back.

6 minutes ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

I Couldn't find any Green and Black Mobos except from the Gigabyte G1 Snipers. I've had a look and seems to be bad reviews. But now that you speak about it. I Could get one of those. If its bad. I can send it back.

The XFX Power Supplies are Really good from what ive heard. Everyone I know has one. And I'd take the SSD into Account.

Gigabyte G1 Snipers are basically the only black and green mobos even though alot of people like those colors and hey, if it really does go wrong, first off, sorry, and yeah, i guess you could send it back under the right conditions.

PLEASE take the SSD into account. Look at reviews on it, it seems good. In fact, i bought myself one and i think its good (this is my first pc and i cant really compare it to any other SSD).

According to the post just below mine, the XFX are fine.

-Made In Canada

Just now, Made In Canada said:

Gigabyte G1 Snipers are basically the only black and green mobos even though alot of people like those colors and hey, if it really does go wrong, first off, sorry, and yeah, i guess you could send it back under the right conditions.

PLEASE take the SSD into account. Look at reviews on it, it seems good. In fact, i bought myself one and i think its good (this is my first pc and i cant really compare it to any other SSD).

According to the post just below mine, the XFX are fine.

So I changed the Motherboard to this one:http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5564#ov its £119.99

Changed it on the PC PartPicker List. And I'm looking at reviews now!

9 minutes ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

I had a thought about them mobos, and I might buy one. Its just that they had bad reviews. I can always send it back.

About bad reviews... I had one person say this to me and this is TRUE!

Bad reviews are from people who messed up and did not install or use the product properly (or something like this).

-Made In Canada

About bad reviews... I had one person say this to me and this is TRUE!

Bad reviews are from people who messed up and did not install or use the product properly (or something like this).

Oh okay, well I think I will buy this MOBO now as the one I linked in my last reply to you. Thanks

Just now, ItsJustJLGPro said:

So I changed the Motherboard to this one:http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5564#ov its £119.99

Changed it on the PC PartPicker List. And I'm looking at reviews now!

That one looks good, and with the bad reviews, take most of them with a grain of salt as they could have plugged in the wrong power connectors, or statically shocked their mobo and are pissed about it. Understand that some of them might be true and or maybe a faulty motherboard was sent to them, but just keep that in mind.

-Made In Canada

4 minutes ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

Oh okay, well I think I will buy this MOBO now as the one I linked in my last reply to you. Thanks

No problem, good luck.

(PS, watch some of linus's build videos so you can understand more on what to do and how to do it. I think he even has one about a green build, or else that was someone else).

Edited by Made In Canada
Added More

-Made In Canada

Just now, Made In Canada said:

That one looks good, and with the bad reviews, take most of them with a grain of salt as they could have plugged in the wrong power connectors, or statically shocked their mobo and are pissed about it. Understand that some of them might be true and or maybe a faulty motherboard was sent to them, but just keep that in mind.

Well, hopefully this one is perfect, and I will be using an Anti-Static Mat (The Same one as Linus In Fact. I bought it without realizing he uses it aswell) and a Anti-Static Wrist/Ankle Strap, So Hopefully nothing goes wrong!

32 minutes ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

Okay, I've Never built a PC my self, ever! Me and My Friend will be building this Together. I've Decided on the i5-6600k over the i5-4690k as it was only £10 more and I can upgrade to a newer Skylake CPU later on. I Chose a 120gb SSD as a Boot Drive. The 240GB SSD is for the Games I play Frequently. The 2TB hard Drive is for Programs Like Photoshop, After Effects and Sony Vegas. I chose The GTX 970 Reference Card, yet I know it isnt as good as most of the 970's, Im Getting it as it will help match the color scheme of the build as it has the Green LED 'Geforce GTX' Logo, What would look amazing with the 'Heavily' Smoked Case window on The NZXT Designed By Razer S340. This is a Razer Themed Build if you didn't know that already. 

I will be getting Green/Black Cable Mod to Match the Build. 

I will put all Links for the Part List and Graphics Card Link.

If you have anything to point out about the build, just tell me!

I also need help on finding Monitors (I know this isn't what I'm suppose to talk about this in 'New Builds and Planning') But I want to find a decent monitor with slim bezels and good for gaming. I'm Going to need 3-4 of them (Reason for need of Slim Bezels)

CPU 50d6d4332c55b9c1acc39474c5cefde2.256p.jp £199.99 Buy
CPU Cooler 7cdd6e9ad8fcbd55b14a29f85bfa563d.med.256 £100.12 Buy
Motherboard 73d06fc0160f22e955026205135896c1.256p.jp £122.03 Buy
Memory 8bafbd6b27363f5027f22bcc5eab2803.256p.jp £59.60 Buy
Storage 731ec1020fdd76d2e2eab1e9ca22f5dc.med.256 £37.52 Buy
  07b0c3f671b405a46ce0a9f0a4d83e83.med.256 £59.99 Buy
  ad8e668a94bd177b3fb0a09248cc48a9.med.256 £102.95 Buy
Video Card 666fd7998773e75d1be0ca4442eb2f4c.256p.jp £299.99  
Case 1fef4c4f3e2dac9fe3e9eb77181b6216.256p.jp £79.92 Buy
Power Supply 262d7df5194ea590c550b138822911c5.med.256 £80.28 Buy
Total: £1142.39

PCPartPicker UK Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w3LQjX

GTX 970 Link: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-geforce-gtx-970-nvidia-970-cooler-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-205-ok.html

Cable Mod (Compatible for my PSU): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cablemod-se-series-km3-xm2-xp2-3-fl2-xfx-cable-kit-black-green-cm-049-cm.html

Bam:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£199.99 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£100.12 @ More Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£122.03 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£59.60 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£113.90 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£102.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  (£299.99) 
Case: NZXT S340 - Designed by Razer ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£80.28 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1158.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 01:38 BST+0100

Would always recommend the R9 390, but at that price...I would recommend the GTX 970

1 minute ago, ItsJustJLGPro said:

Well, hopefully this one is perfect, and I will be using an Anti-Static Mat (The Same one as Linus In Fact. I bought it without realizing he uses it aswell) and a Anti-Static Wrist/Ankle Strap, So Hopefully nothing goes wrong!

Keep a positive mind about it and remember this, It Can Take Awhile And There Might Be Some Troubleshooting Needed, Dont Stress Out About It.

This is from what i learned.

Also, if you think any parts are broken or DOA (dead on arrival), keep testing them. I though my PSU was DOA and i bought a new one, and the new one did the same thing... And then all the sudden, it works.

-Made In Canada

2 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

Keep a positive mind about it and remember this, It Can Take Awhile And There Might Be Some Troubleshooting Needed, Dont Stress Out About It.

This is from what i learned.

Also, if you think any parts are broken or DOA (dead on arrival), keep testing them. I though my PSU was DOA and i bought a new one, and the new one did the same thing... And then all the sudden, it works.

I will, i am going to be very careful with the building of my PC as I'm working for it!