what version of win 10

micko12400
Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

get the retail

OEM - the licence can't be transferred to a new machine or if you do a HW upgrade

the FPP/Retail can be transferred 

i have asked this question before but i am still i need of clarification. there are two versions of windows 10 home one being a retail pack and one being OEM or OEI. i was wondering what would be best for a custom computer and if someone could also explain differences that would be awesome :P 

Thanks in advance

-Michael

get the retail

OEM - the licence can't be transferred to a new machine or if you do a HW upgrade

From what I recall, OEM versions have no customer support from Microsoft, whereas retail versions Microsoft's support team will help you when problems arise with your copy of Windows.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Get the retail version if you plan to upgrade a lot or move the OS to a new build one day.  The OEM is great as well, but has more restrictions with regards to transferring it to a new system.  Keep in mind that if you modify your custom computer with big changes such as your motherboard or a combination of several smaller parts at one time, an OEM version may not allow activation.

24 minutes ago, micko12400 said:

i have asked this question before but i am still i need of clarification. there are two versions of windows 10 home one being a retail pack and one being OEM or OEI. i was wondering what would be best for a custom computer and if someone could also explain differences that would be awesome :P 

Thanks in advance

-Michael

Really doesn't matter. Whatever is cheaper.

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

get the retail

no windows 10 OS can be transferred to a new machine or have a hardware(motherboard) upgrade

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

no windows 10 OS can be transferred to a new machine or have a hardware(motherboard) upgrade

but if i upgrade my GPU, Ram or hdd will i need to buy a new windows 10???

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The amount of transfer depends on whether you buy the OEM or the retail version.  They do not transfer exactly the same as you are implying.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The amount of transfer depends on whether you buy the OEM or the retail version.  They do not transfer exactly the same as you are implying.

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

will this effect me upgrading anything but the motherboard???

5 minutes ago, micko12400 said:

will this effect me upgrading anything but the motherboard???

It could if you replace / upgrade too many parts.

The retail version is your best bet if you plan to continue to mod and upgrade your system.  You may save a buck now, but I'd hate to see you spend more later to upgrade to a retail copy. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It could if you replace / upgrade too many parts.

The retail version is your best bet if you plan to continue to mod and upgrade your system.  You may save a buck now, but I'd hate to see you spend more later to upgrade to a retail copy. 

thanks dude

Just now, micko12400 said:

thanks dude

No sweat man.  I run several different versions of Windows on my rig and I prefer Windows 10 for daily use.  Good luck! 

23 minutes ago, micko12400 said:

but if i upgrade my GPU, Ram or hdd will i need to buy a new windows 10???

no

just motherboard

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

huh?!

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

huh?!

OS activation is now locked to the first motherboard you install it on

this means if you ever need to reinstall it you dont need a key to activate, it activates itself

if you need to move the OS to a new PC or you need to replace your motherboard then you need to buy a new windows 10 key or call microsoft and hope they will give you one

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

OS activation is now locked to the first motherboard you install it on

this means if you ever need to reinstall it you dont need a key to activate, it activates itself

if you need to move the OS to a new PC or you need to replace your motherboard then you need to buy a new windows 10 key or call microsoft and hope they will give you one

I still don't understand what you said originally about W10

OEM licensing terms haven't changed, even after W10 launch

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I still don't understand what you said originally about W10

OEM licensing terms haven't changed, even after W10 launch

all windows 10 versions are tied to the system its first installed on, OEM or not

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

all windows 10 versions are tied to the system its first installed on, OEM or not

You're really confusing people by generalizing. 

Windows 10 OEM is tied to the system and cannot transfer. 

Windows 10 RETAIL is tied to the system in the same way, but will transfer to the next system once no longer active on the old.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

did the FPP licence agreement changed then!? I haven't got the notice

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You're really confusing people by generalizing. 

Windows 10 OEM is tied to the system and cannot transfer. 

Windows 10 RETAIL is tied to the system in the same way, but will transfer to the next system once no longer active on the old.

that's how ti used to be, but now you're wrong

first,

you cannot transfer windows 10 to any new PC

as long as it has been activated once, you cannot change the motherboard or the license will become invalid

this is for any retail non-OEM version

second, I have a windows 7 builder's edition (OEM) key and I have done 3 reinstalls and two motherboards in the part 6 years so idk what this "only one install" thing came from, because it certainly worked multiple times for me

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

did the FPP licence agreement changed then!? I haven't got the notice

uh, this is common knowledge...

it was announced with windows 10

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh, this is common knowledge...

it was announced with windows 10

can you link that to me

because the terms of the W10 FPP agreement were confirmed to me by MS tech, and at the time they were not changed from what they were

you are probably talking about W7 / 8(.1) upgrade to W10

when you change machines, you have to do a original W7 or 8(.1) install and upgrade that to W10 - because the original HW key remains tied to the original install

dunno if it holds true after MS allows now to use W7 / 8(.1) keys for W10 install

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

can you link that to me

because the terms of the W10 FPP agreement were confirmed to me by MS tech and at the time they were not changed from what they were

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-windows-10-will-handle-clean-installs

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yes, as I though .. you're talking about W7 8(.1) upgrades and not W10 FPP licences

W7 / 8(.1) to W10 upgrades are handled exactly like any other upgrade licence before it - you need to install the original licence, then the upgrade

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, as I though .. you're talking about W7 8(.1) upgrades and not W10 FPP licences

I cant find any info that shows the OSes you buy from a store are any different from the ISO you download from the microsoft website to clean install/upgrade

If you can show me where it says you can change motherboards with the windows 10 retail version I would like to see that, thanks

Still doesnt explain how I am able to use my OEM windows 7 license on two motherboards and three clean installs

Spoiler