nighthawk x6 triband not good range?

DominicNikon

i only get all bars of wifi in the same room as it is that normal? i thought for $300 it would have farther range

Thats unusually, I used an older nighthawk and got full reception a few rooms over. 

Are your walls brick? 

more seriously, what band and how are the antenna positioned?  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Cost of the router only makes a little difference. Location of the router makes most of the difference. With our basement its cinder block for walls and because we have in unfinished basement its wood up above. My guess is the building materials of your house dont agree with the router. 2.4 Ghz can penetrate most thing, but as you go through different material you will loose signal strength. 5Ghz has low penetration power and shorter range than 2.4. In generally better standards like AC Vs. G or N will have more speed and range, but the same thing applies allways. Can you get signal to where you need it? 

Your really only options are:

A) Position the router in a better spot

B) Instead of using the wireless on the router only, buy wireless access points to deliver signal to areas with out

C) Use wireless repeater (Will cut speeds in half) 

D) Use better antenna's on router and device (only works if Antenna's on devices are detachable) (Not usually the best solution) 

The issue is. Wireless AP's will need to be connected directly to the router, That involves running cable. I have found that moving the router to different spots can give better signal. So maybe placing the router in a more centralized location, or elevating it higher might help. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Cost of the router only makes a little difference. Location of the router makes most of the difference. With our basement its cinder block for walls and because we have in unfinished basement its wood up above. My guess is the building materials of your house dont agree with the router. 2.4 Ghz can penetrate most thing, but as you go through different material you will loose signal strength. 5Ghz has low penetration power and shorter range than 2.4. In generally better standards like AC Vs. G or N will have more speed and range, but the same thing applies allways. Can you get signal to where you need it? 

Your really only options are:

A) Position the router in a better spot

B) Instead of using the wireless on the router only, buy wireless access points to deliver signal to areas with out

C) Use wireless repeater (Will cut speeds in half) 

D) Use better antenna's on router and device (only works if Antenna's on devices are detachable) (Not usually the best solution) 

The issue is. Wireless AP's will need to be connected directly to the router, That involves running cable. I have found that moving the router to different spots can give better signal. So maybe placing the router in a more centralized location, or elevating it higher might help. 

my router is on the far side of the house and im on the other side in a cinder block basement and 2.4ghz has the same range as the 5ghz line

24 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

my router is on the far side of the house and im on the other side in a cinder block basement and 2.4ghz has the same range as the 5ghz line

My guessing is extreme interference. 

2.4Ghz has better range. So the fact is you have to have something interfering with it. Considering my College has WiFI and the building Im in has cinder block walls I would say 2.4Ghz should be able to penetrate it. You might not get good signal or speeds, but you should be able to connect. Another thing to consider, are there any other networks in range? If so are they on the same wireless channel? If so they are also causing issues for you. The fact of the matter is, you WILL NOT get all bars. Not going to happen. WiFi standards are tested in a lab, with out any other types of interference you will have in the real world. With that being said, if you have enough signal that your connected thats all you can hope for. Shit, going through 2 walls that were made of dry wall and plaster and I lost 2 bars. Which are materials that are going to be easier for a wireless signal to penetrate. All you can do is minimize your interference and hope and pray for the best. Oh and moisture in the air also affects Wireless signals, so if you have a lot of moisture in the air it also will cause some issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My guessing is extreme interference. 

2.4Ghz has better range. So the fact is you have to have something interfering with it. Considering my College has WiFI and the building Im in has cinder block walls I would say 2.4Ghz should be able to penetrate it. 

2.4 has better range indoors due to penetration, with a line of site you can typically get less interference and better range from 5, however few people care about like of site and signal level interference. 

20 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

netgear and the only way they go also im in the basement if that does any thing

obviously, but I meant band as in 2.4 or 5 and the channel of 1-10. I would suggest you run some line if you can and add an ap at the end, even powerline. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]