Is it worth it?

Hey guys, I have been slowly upgrading my pc and it's gotten to the point of CPU and Motherboard.

I'm definitely going Intel and I don't need the hyperthreading of an i7.  Is Z97 still viabe since I can save over $100 vs skylake?

I'm planning on driving to Houston to go to Microcenter for the purchase and the rough cost savings before RAM is about $40 or $50 and I can reuse my 16 GB kit of DDR3.

So basically I'm asking is it worth it to upgrade to the 4690k so I can save about $100 or so? Or should I just suck it up and go Z170 and the 6600k?

I have a 4690k and it in my opinion is that best processor you will need without going to skylake. Some people will say that a 4790(k) is better some of my friends even believe that my 4690k is terrible because its not i7 but its really more that enough for anyone not going anything like video editing or complex computing. I am not sure what you are asking though, do you currently have a 4690k or are you going to upgrade to one? if you are going to upgrade to one it depends on what you have currently

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The 4690k is still very relevant, and still will be for a long time.

^ What he said. You will be fine with a 4690 for a few more years.

If you save 100 bucks compared to sky lake in your area the last generation is definitely viable. The performance is not even 10% apart and in games even less. If you can get Haswell CPUs cheap buy them. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system