Modding ATH M50x

So, back again. 

I've had my set of ATH M50X's for a while now and I love them, but with one main issue- they are plastic!
I've researched and trawled through forums and teardowns to see if they've remade the construction of metal. 

is there anyone who has attempted this? I really want to do this, but OBVIOUSLY I want to keep my m50x's in working order?

cheers,

Best 

DuckaSocks

3 hours ago, DuckaSocks said:

-SNIP-

From looking at the design while possible it wouldn't be cheap as it would need to be modeled and CNC milled out of a solid billet of steel or aluminum to create that shell.

Metal headphones are expensive to produce and heavy to wear, which is why few exist.

You also run a high risk of ruining the sound signature by changing the material, as the sound will act differently bouncing off of metal.

All in all I don't think it is worth it, if you really want to proceed you'll need to start with a pair of calipers and a lot of time drafting up the dimensions.

cheers for getting back to me. 

as I am a student at a design based school, I have access to many materials, including offcuts of other peoples projects (seriously.. they use loads of materials and recycle everything they can), I hope to use their CNC (with lots of help) during a few design lessons I have in the week.

just didn't know if it had been done or if it is possible?

cheers though!

Best

Duckasocks

9 hours ago, DuckaSocks said:

-SNIP-

It will be difficult but doable as said it can also potentially affect the around qualities as the material is changed. If you wanted to do this it would be best to take apart the headphones down to just the plastic casing and create a 3D model with that including all the details like mounting points on there interior in something like Solidworks which can then be machined. Ideally if you have access to a CMM (coordinate measuring machine) or 3D view scanner it can speed that process up instead of manually measuring and modeling it.