Local school gets 1:1 iPad student grant... Is this the future of teaching?

cnelson3225

A middles school close to me is getting one iPad per student as part of a pilot program. I have worked with with iPads on a smaller scale (classroom sets) and they are a pain with app updates and the inability to lock them down without locking useful features.

Is the future digital textbooks, notes, etc? Will handwriting become a "legacy" thing?

Link to article.

Dubas finds that when students are empow-
ered to seek out and creatively digest information,
they are more actively engaged in learning. Putting
an iPad rather than a textbook into the hands of a
student heightens the sense of excitement for as-
signments and sparks a passion for learning.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

My chemistry class is all on the iPad. It's not bad, it helps at times when you're drawing multiple organic compounds.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I get tablets for schools but why are they buying the most expensive tablet you can buy for schools? Countries are already in debt and we are spending money pointlessly buying things that could be gotten for a cheaper price. What about a Nexus 10 or literally any other tablet on the market.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I think an iPad should be a tool, much like a super notebook. Thanks for the opinions.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

My high school has one iPad cart and I know that we don't always use them like they are suppose too. (And we are college level seniors) so I wonder how middle schoolers are going to do with iPads.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

My high school has one iPad cart and I know that we don't always use them like they are suppose too. (And we are college level seniors) so I wonder how middle schoolers are going to do with iPads.

You know what they'll do...

I get tablets for schools but why are they buying the most expensive tablet you can buy for schools? Countries are already in debt and we are spending money pointlessly buying things that could be gotten for a cheaper price. What about a Nexus 10 or literally any other tablet on the market.

I think they chose the iPad because of the management tools... As far as I know there isn't an OS level tool for managing hundreds of Nexus'.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I would like to know where this is at because I know where I live, no school system can afford tablets for every student. They're doing good enough to keep teachers employed. Maybe the wealthy suburban schools can but not inner city public schools.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Trust me, we got so fed up of cleaning the stuff out of iMessage and Photo Booth we said screw it. (not literally) Just kind of quit looking ;)

I would like to know where this is at because I know where I live, no school system can afford tablets for every student. They're doing good enough to keep teachers employed. Maybe the wealthy suburban schools can but not inner city public schools.

It is here in Loveland. CO. It was a grant of sorts, couldn't really choose where the money goes.

lol my school gives every student a mac book

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

The high school I'm attending gave all 500 students ipads. I'm not a huge fan of Apple but they come in handy now and again. It's useful for English and some classes, but good luck working on Calculus or taking notes on it efficiently. 

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

My Australian high school bought a bunch of iPads for us too use and they are impossible to note take or do any real work on but I assume that they would work better at a school that knows what they are doing... Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is just a selfish business/marketing trick which will make that state and the others that they do this in and if i am not mistaken some where in California and New York are getting this too, be dependent MAC users when they get adult stage unless they are given alternatives by there parents/guardians/older siblings.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

My Australian high school bought a bunch of iPads for us too use and they are impossible to note take or do any real work on but I assume that they would work better at a school that knows what they are doing... Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I tried to use my own tablet in such a way as well; best use is Google and a calculator haha.

This has already happened in my town, 2 middle schools and the highschoolers all have ipads, and all the teachers have a macbook air and ipad

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I wish stuff like this would happen where I live we had last Year still Old books from 1996.
And we had one Notebook Class in the hole School, but you had to buy them by your selve so not alot of People went in :(

RTX2070OC 

I know a primary school 1-6 grade, they use iPads in school.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

My old middle school started doing this, only with select subjects.

It has been failing, horribly. The teachers won't use it because it's too cumbersome and impractical, so there isn't a reason to even pull it out.

The kids thought it was cool for a month or so, but they don't care now.

What a waste of money.

My whole high school has iPads and they are the most useless things ever, the only thing their good for is for entertainment when your bored during class. Personally I would had much rather nexus 7's due to their cheapness and their perfect form factor. I have never heard any student at my school say "gee my life sure would be easier with the ipads"

I use my iPad for school, although it's not like you can do a whole lot with it. It's more a consuming device than a creating device IMO

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

How many of the iPads make it till the end of the year in one piece? Not only is this a massive amount of money up front, but it's also expensive in the long run to maintain the tablets.

I use my iPad for school, although it's not like you can do a whole lot with it. It's more a consuming device than a creating device IMO

That is pretty much exactly how I feel about any tablet/smartphone, productivity is terrible.

How many of the iPads make it till the end of the year in one piece? Not only is this a massive amount of money up front, but it's also expensive in the long run to maintain the tablets.

Not to mention the cost in the upgraded wireless infra structure.

if you ask me, they should get rid of textbooks al together, and have tablets or ereaders.  One tablet is cheaper than 6 $70 textbooks. And they are lighter, and you only need one for all of your classes.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place