LG G3 vs Nexus 5

Philz69

Hey guys!

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to android phones hardware ( i just haven't been following the scene ).  I looked around for sub 150$ CAD phones on ebay and found basically two phones that looked interesting.

I either have an LG G3 Beat D722J 8GB for 150$

Or  LG Nexus 5 D820 -16GB  for 130$ 

After looking around, it seems that the G3 is overall a much better phone on paper, but i dont understand why could they be sold for around the same price? Can somebody tell me wich phone i should pick? I dont care about OS, as i will be running Cyanogen no matter what phone i get! I am also open to suggestions if you guys know better cheap phones!

EDIT: I also just found an  Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 16GB  for 140$, wich makes it even harder

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Nexus

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Just now, Vercii said:

Nexus

do you mind explaining a little bit? :)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

as someone who had the g3 for more than a year, it's a pretty okay phone. though i think the nexus 5 works better in your favor, since it's very popular as a stock Android phone. 

I currently have the G3 and it will be 2 years this August. I love my phone. Im not a heavy user so my battery lasts 2 days. The screen is nice, and the phone has nice features and design. Now the Nexus phones offer you something cool. They give you the stock Android expire and also mean when a new Android OS is released your the first to get it. Although LG has promised to upgrade the G3 to Android 6.0. We are still waiting while Nexus owners are enjoying the new OS. 

The G3 has a removable battery and expandable storage. The Nexus phones do not. So if those features are important then the G3 is the one I would go with. If you want the latest and greatest updated OS then the Nexus devices are what you want. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

This G3 is not the G3. Its the "G3 s" (you can tell by the 722 number, and also the 8gb internal storage. The big G3 has either 16 or 32gb.

Its a "mini" version of the G3, with a 720p Screen on 5". And also, Mid-class hardware.

The Nexus has a stronger Hardware, and a sharper 1080p Screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Nexus 5 for 3 years and I now an LG G3. I have no complain about the Nexus 5 and I'm loving the LG G3. So I think both are good phones, maybe a bit Old tho.

Honestly, the Nexus is gonna hold up longer given its status and developer community behind it. The G3 is a rock solid phone, but it doesnt have the same dev community to keep it alive. If you're not worried about the overall longevity of the phone as new versions of Android roll around, the I would pick the G3. But if you'd like to keep up with the later versions of Android (unofficially at least) then I would go for the Nexus 5.