Think I overkilled...

Flowey

So as the title said I'm kind of slowly realizing I overkilled my build, wanted to stop asking myself that question, so, quick intro, it's a mainly gaming rig  which I wanted to still have around and don't need to upgrade for a few years.  Here's the pcpartpicker list

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/minutmaidman/saved/#view=XYkV3C

I payed something around 2000$ for that PC, now the canadian loonie has gotten better so its valued at 1500$, which is sad.

So, free of charge, tell me what I overkilled on so that next time I save a few bucks!

it's an ok build,

probably didn't need both of those drives at the sime time

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, Flowey said:

So as the title said I'm kind of slowly realizing I overkilled my build, wanted to stop asking myself that question, so, quick intro, it's a mainly gaming rig  which I wanted to still have around and don't need to upgrade for a few years.  Here's the pcpartpicker list

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/minutmaidman/saved/#view=XYkV3C

I payed something around 2000$ for that PC, now the canadian loonie has gotten better so its valued at 1500$, which is sad.

So, free of charge, tell me what I overkilled on so that next time I save a few bucks!

I don't see any overkill, pretty solid build to me. Nothing wrong with.. Don't look at prices afterwards when it comes to computer hardware, just don't.

only thing overkill here is the PSU, you do NOT need 750W xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Its reasonable and will last a long time in terms of performance. You didn't need the second HDD really. The PSU will probably allow for Crossfire, that's all that's really overkill.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

6 minutes ago, Rck010 said:

I don't see any overkill, pretty solid build to me. Nothing wrong with.. Don't look at prices afterwards when it comes to computer hardware, just don't.

HAHAHA that's what started this thought process to be honest, I'll never do that again

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Always nice to have headroom for overclocking and future upgrades. Nothing wrong with a 750w here in my opinion. Now if he went with a 1000w or something, then i'd agree.

Just now, Rck010 said:

Always nice to have headroom for overclocking and future upgrades. Nothing wrong with a 750w here in my opinion. Now if he went with a 1000w or something, then i'd agree.

he would be fine with like 500W xD i think he should atleast step down to something around 650W

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, DXMember said:

it's an ok build,

Oh I wanted RAID 1 just to be secured in case the HDD failed that'Ms why I got 2 1tb drive, otherwise would obviously have gone for a 2tb single drive.

Here some reason I went for the parts I did.

14 minutes ago, DXMember said:

it's an ok build,

13 minutes ago, Rck010 said:

13 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

11 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Its reasonable and will last a long time in terms of performance. You didn't need the second HDD really. The PSU will probably allow for Crossfire, that's all that's really overkill.

10 minutes ago, lh99 said:

that isn´t overkill at all xD

The case I wanted because you know, looks good

Went for the i5-6600k for future proofing with Skylake

Wanted RAID 1 on my 2 HDD, that's why I got 2

Wanted an SSD for my most played games and OS of course

Went with the 750W PSU cause I'm definitly going to upgrade in the future

The mobo I definitly overspent on, no excuses or anything there

Same for RAM, could easily have went for 2400mhx over 3200, which I'm not even overclocking right now.

CPU cooler was handed over by a friend, didn't spend a dime on that.

STill feels like I overkilled tho.

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

he would be fine with like 500W xD i think he should atleast step down to something around 650W

Difference on newegg is a whopping $ 10,00 US Dollar. He'd be stupid to go for the 650w.

PC hardware prices drops as rocks in water. Just dont bother looking back, look forwards instead.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

overkill would be

caselabs cas

i7 5960x

rampage 5 extreme

2 950pros in raid 0

5 6tb red in raid 5

corsair ax 1500

128gb ddr4 corsair vengance

custom loop

5 minutes ago, Rck010 said:

Difference on newegg is a whopping $ 10,00 US Dollar. He'd be stupid to go for the 650w.

Got the 750W for less then the 500W on a promotion, first part I buyed, launched my spending spree.

4 minutes ago, lh99 said:

overkill would be

caselabs cas

i7 5960x

rampage 5 extreme

2 950pros in raid 0

5 6tb red in raid 5

corsair ax 1500

128gb ddr4 corsair vengance

custom loop

enthusiatics level overkill reached, at that point you might as well get a used car

looks like a standard enthusiast gamer pc. 

The parts mostly have good price/performance with maybe

100-150$ extra splurged to have a nicer mobo, case and psu.

1 minute ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

looks like a standard enthusiast gamer pc. 

The parts mostly have good price/performance with maybe

100-150$ extra splurged to have a nicer mobo, case and psu.

I took a look at current prices, that's my mistake.

Just now, Flowey said:

I took a look at current prices, that's my mistake.

Yeah you can never win with hardware, it always looses value no matter when you buy it.........

....except there is a mining craze again, its funny to sell your gpu at profit after a year or two of use.

is it overkill?

maaaaybe?

nah, just no

get a single 2tb hard disk lol

and maybe a lower wattage psu `-` 550~650W will do just fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately