High End Custom Gaming PC of 2013

Pakman
If you aren't going to help advise the OP rather than make derisive comments' date=' please leave the thread. As far as the build goes, I know people like to limit upgrades as much as possible, but to be frank buying the best of the best is really never the best way to do so, you really end up paying 10x more for 20% better performance... if you're worried about components getting outdated and having to upgrade, the best of the best won't stay relevant that much longer than other components. Maybe an extra year or two, at the most. A few years ago we had the first generation i7 Extreme edition, the i7-980X, which was the $1000 then-king of the CPU list, much like the i7-3970X today. Intel then brought out the second generation Core processors (Sandy Bridge). In a 1 generation move (keep in mind, Intel refreshes every year), the $300 Sandy Bridge i7-2600K outperformed the previous $1000 extreme edition processor. That's not to say it happens every year, this year's refresh Ivy Bridge for example was an optimization of the Sandy Bridge architecture and mostly focused on power efficiency. But it should give you an appreciation for the rapid pace at which processing technology advances, and likewise the rapid pace at which the value of older components depreciates, particularly the top end components. The best way to future-proof your build is to just get a more balanced build, and tailor it so that your upgrades (they will happen) will be minimal. Get a solid processor like the i7-3930K which should keep you going for a long time, and in 3 or 4 years the only upgrade you'll need to do is to take 15 minutes to swap a graphics card or two. I hate to say it but even the GTX Titan will not last forever... and you will find that in 3 or 4 years it may be adequate to play games but you'll find that the newer $300-400 cards perform just as well and use half the power in all likelyhood... Also I want to point out that RAM can be added at any time provided you have free DIMM slots... it takes like 10 seconds to install.[/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more. I kept all that in mind and then I compared 3970X to the leaked specs of upcoming Haswell and then I saw that it was beating in cores and threads to Haswell. Considering that I kept that in mind but okay, I get your point on processors and I'll deeply consider 3930K over 3970X, no problem at all but it's just gonna be few hundred bucks loss. I mean if the PC is going around $10k, I don't wanna be cheap at $300-400 USD. But I do agree on a part that buying the best of the best is not always the best way to do so and that is the only reason I hit up Linus and he advised to ask here.

As for GFX, No shit it will be outdated and there is actually where I'm so much confused. Maybe .. just start with Single or Dual GTX Titan and if ever at all the day I feel like I need one more; just order it right away and install it. I'll be running many monitors as well, more than 3 for sure if that's a good idea ? The more the better applies here ? I can do shit ton of multi-tasking that way and will help me to manage my several businesses at same time.

Okay, I agree on RAM as well. I'll apply card tactic on RAM as well then considering I can always install it more when I feel like it. Which ones, Dominator GT or Platinum ?

Thank you!

Pardon the jokes and stuff' date=' but I really do not see this build happening. I'm looking at this more like "What makes the greatest, highest of the high end build of 2013". I am sure that with all of us on this, we can really come up with a conclusion. I still stand by my "Two quality PSU's are better than one high wattage for this type of build". [/quote']

That's totally fine on your side on how you feel, man. I'm not pushing you to believe it or so. Plus, I mentioned that in start of the thread that I might won't build it right away but getting my mind in it to plan it accordingly. Right now I'm in Middle East anyway and will be travelling to USA pretty soon and then I'll grab that rig from Newegg highly likely. Right now I'm more looking into sexier modding and all that as well and can't seem to find many but still looking.

Well, you think I'd deny Dual-PSUs ? Lol. I'm here talking about Quad-GPU so I'd never deny Dual-PSU. I just simply said what I heard from ROG but of course, how about Dual 1500W PSUs or Dual 1000+ PSUs of better quality such as Corsair, SeaSonic etc.

I do agree with the dual power supplies for a build of this caliber; there aren't any great quality 1500-1600W power supplies out there' date=' and quality issues aside they just don't look good XD none of them have black cables... And believe me color-coded cables do mess up the look of the computer XD I'd wait for the Corsair 900D and get two SeaSonic SS-760XP PSUs. For a computer of this price and considering the high power draw of the components, overclocking etc. a quality power supply is not optional. Power supplies can take other components with them if they go out.[/quote']

Exactly, the best ones I looked was around 1000W (1050W to be exact?) from Corsair etc... So you'd prefer Dual 1000W better quality from Corsair or SeaSonic etc over Dual 1500W from some other companies ?

Thank you.

If you aren't going to help advise the OP rather than make derisive comments' date=' please leave the thread. As far as the build goes, I know people like to limit upgrades as much as possible, but to be frank buying the best of the best is really never the best way to do so, you really end up paying 10x more for 20% better performance... if you're worried about components getting outdated and having to upgrade, the best of the best won't stay relevant that much longer than other components. Maybe an extra year or two, at the most. A few years ago we had the first generation i7 Extreme edition, the i7-980X, which was the $1000 then-king of the CPU list, much like the i7-3970X today. Intel then brought out the second generation Core processors (Sandy Bridge). In a 1 generation move (keep in mind, Intel refreshes every year), the $300 Sandy Bridge i7-2600K outperformed the previous $1000 extreme edition processor. That's not to say it happens every year, this year's refresh Ivy Bridge for example was an optimization of the Sandy Bridge architecture and mostly focused on power efficiency. But it should give you an appreciation for the rapid pace at which processing technology advances, and likewise the rapid pace at which the value of older components depreciates, particularly the top end components. The best way to future-proof your build is to just get a more balanced build, and tailor it so that your upgrades (they will happen) will be minimal. Get a solid processor like the i7-3930K which should keep you going for a long time, and in 3 or 4 years the only upgrade you'll need to do is to take 15 minutes to swap a graphics card or two. I hate to say it but even the GTX Titan will not last forever... and you will find that in 3 or 4 years it may be adequate to play games but you'll find that the newer $300-400 cards perform just as well and use half the power in all likelyhood... Also I want to point out that RAM can be added at any time provided you have free DIMM slots... it takes like 10 seconds to install.[/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more. I kept all that in mind and then I compared 3970X to the leaked specs of upcoming Haswell and then I saw that it was beating in cores and threads to Haswell. Considering that I kept that in mind but okay, I get your point on processors and I'll deeply consider 3930K over 3970X, no problem at all but it's just gonna be few hundred bucks loss. I mean if the PC is going around $10k, I don't wanna be cheap at $300-400 USD. But I do agree on a part that buying the best of the best is not always the best way to do so and that is the only reason I hit up Linus and he advised to ask here.

As for GFX, No shit it will be outdated and there is actually where I'm so much confused. Maybe .. just start with Single or Dual GTX Titan and if ever at all the day I feel like I need one more; just order it right away and install it. I'll be running many monitors as well, more than 3 for sure if that's a good idea ? The more the better applies here ? I can do shit ton of multi-tasking that way and will help me to manage my several businesses at same time.

Okay, I agree on RAM as well. I'll apply card tactic on RAM as well then considering I can always install it more when I feel like it. Which ones, Dominator GT or Platinum ?

Thank you!

Uhm. A 3970X is a 3930K with some extra cache, megahertz and binned a little higher. It is really nothing. You will never notice a difference in day to day multitasking if you run both chips at stock. They will both be able to handle 4-way anything, even at their stock speeds. If you're overclocking them to the limit then either choice is a fine choice. Either will be very powerful.

"I don't wanna be cheap at $300-400 USD."

It's 3am, I'll continue tomorrow... :P If you start off with 2 titans you could just go with a single Corsair AX1200i... in an Obsidian 900D you would still have the option of installing a second power supply for additional graphics cards (doesn't necessarily have to be a second 1200W unit). As for cooling... I'll talk about it tomorrow though XD. I believe EVGA is developing a version of the Titan with full cover water blocks instead of the Reference shroud coolers, which should make things easier... A dual bay pump/res combo unit and 2 or 3 well placed radiators would be the best I think... I don't feel like thinking about it too much though at the moment. See you tomorrow.

Okay, let me put it as simply as this:

You can buy the best possible PC right now, go extremely overboard and spend tens of thousands of dollars. But in three years time, your PC won't be that out-of-the-world.

Trust me, you are better off buying logical components and upgrading your system (or buying a new one) every 18 months.

Say this PC costs $20,000 (rough guess, it's probably around there), you can buy 5-6 TOP-END systems, enough to keep you updated every year for the next 10 years. With your old systems, you can donate them to schools, sell them for a hefty amount, or throw them in the bin.

In the end, this will give you maximum possible performance for the next ten years for the same price.

I do agree with the dual power supplies for a build of this caliber; there aren't any great quality 1500-1600W power supplies out there' date=' and quality issues aside they just don't look good XD none of them have black cables... And believe me color-coded cables do mess up the look of the computer XD I'd wait for the Corsair 900D and get two SeaSonic SS-760XP PSUs. For a computer of this price and considering the high power draw of the components, overclocking etc. a quality power supply is not optional. Power supplies can take other components with them if they go out.[/quote']

Exactly, the best ones I looked was around 1000W (1050W to be exact?) from Corsair etc... So you'd prefer Dual 1000W better quality from Corsair or SeaSonic etc over Dual 1500W from some other companies ?

Thank you.

Eh, two 1KW PSU's would be something nice to see. But your wall socket can only output something like 120V*15A=1800W.

I'm going to suggest you take Dim's advice. He's the only sane one around here. ...

I agree with Dim here... you could spend half at this time and get probably 80-90% of what you'd get at like 10K... then in another 3 or 4 years spend the other half and get something even more powerful than what 10K would get you now... it will last you longer in the long run.

It's 3am' date=' I'll continue tomorrow... :P If you start off with 2 titans you could just go with a single Corsair AX1200i... in an Obsidian 900D you would still have the option of installing a second power supply for additional graphics cards (doesn't necessarily have to be a second 1200W unit). As for cooling... I'll talk about it tomorrow though XD. I believe EVGA is developing a version of the Titan with full cover water blocks instead of the Reference shroud coolers, which should make things easier... A dual bay pump/res combo unit and 2 or 3 well placed radiators would be the best I think... I don't feel like thinking about it too much though at the moment. See you tomorrow.[/quote']

Sounds good man. Really appreciate your time, Goodnight! :)

Okay' date=' let me put it as simply as this: You can buy the best possible PC right now, go [b']extremely overboard and spend tens of thousands of dollars. But in three years time, your PC won't be that out-of-the-world. Trust me, you are better off buying logical components and upgrading your system (or buying a new one) every 18 months. Say this PC costs $20,000 (rough guess, it's probably around there), you can buy 5-6 TOP-END systems, enough to keep you updated every year for the next 10 years. With your old systems, you can donate them to schools, sell them for a hefty amount, or throw them in the bin. In the end, this will give you maximum possible performance for the next ten years for the same price.

I agree, I kept that in mind and then said all this. So, let's go with either 3930K or 3970X (only few hundred bucks difference) and keep the motherboard Rampage IV Extreme and go with RAM of at least 64GB so even in three-years or more I don't have to worry about it unless they'll release DDR4 on Gaming Sticks since DDR4 is already in the market but the boards we go for don't support that. And go with Single or Dual GPU. Will Single or Dual Titan will cover about 3-6 Monitors at their highest resolution ? I believe so, but still asking. Go for custom water cooling that can always stay in good shape or you prefer air cooling over water cooling to not worry about cleaning and all ?

Also, If I overclock 24x7 is that fine ? Like 24x7 have my PC overclocked to reasonable situation, not too much though. For that we'll need water cooling for sure. But I really like your input on this and makes sense but as I said I already kept that in mind. If you have to put together a HIGH-END Gaming Machine as of right now quickly, how much you'd suggest ? I need ton of space since I already have 4TB of Data and I need more, tons of more.

Thank you.

Thank you!

Okay, I guess then be like saving $300-400 from each of this will save about few thousands right there and I can reinvest that in business, I'll keep this in mind.

Thank you.

Ahh that just sucks, I guess I can Google into looking for better outputs and external options than wall socket if I really want Dual 1000W PSU. Thank you!

I agree with Dim here... you could spend half at this time and get probably 80-90% of what you'd get at like 10K... then in another 3 or 4 years spend the other half and get something even more powerful than what 10K would get you now... it will last you longer in the long run.

Lol, you guys already are changing my mind on not spending hefty amount on this. I guess even with going a little bit low will give me one of the best computers out there in community ? Go to bed, now. Lol!

Yeah I know, I got out of the shower now and refreshed one more time before I am going to sleep hehe... Yeah I think even for a high powered system... 4-6K probably provides the best balance... as opposed to spending 10-12K or whatever it is... :P Overclocking 24/7 is fine with adequate cooling as long as you don't overdo it, 5GHz would be where I would stop with a 3930K/3970X personally...

ok... sleeeeeep

-_____-

*yawn* come back when you have this built. Oh and one cannot simply 4-way ARES' (lol' date=' this guy...). Plus you'll need more than 1000 watts :P Might want to try two 850 watt modular PSU's. [/quote'] Each one of the PSU I mentioned is above 1000W if you look at it. However, I ended up going with 1500W instead of Dual 850W. Read my other post on a reply to another member where I made a mistake of mentioning 4-Way ARES II. Feel free to leave your input on the things I asked for as well such as water cooling, modding etc instead of coming around and bashing. Thank you.
Ehhhhhh... Two "High End" PSU's would be much better for the "High End" theme. Lol you get me every time...One 1500W PSU... 1500WPSU_zps4ca75214.png

I don't get your point, the reason I said 1500W PSU is because it was suggested to me by ROG. Either you give your opinion, or you don't. Simple as that! I'm not saying "NO" to any of the thing you guys said; I just question it so I can understand it better. Rest is up to you to whether reply or not.

Going with 900D case and as for PSUs as we discussed on another post. 900D from Corsair is pretty decent and no, I haven't seen any explosions. Links please, I'm interested ...

Yeah I know' date=' I got out of the shower now and refreshed one more time before I am going to sleep hehe... Yeah I think even for a high powered system... 4-6K probably provides the best balance... as opposed to spending 10-12K or whatever it is... :P Overclocking 24/7 is fine with adequate cooling as long as you don't overdo it, 5GHz would be where I would stop with a 3930K/3970X personally... ok... sleeeeeep -_____-[/quote']

5GHz with 3930K/3970X 24x7 will be fine with proper cooling ? Damn, that'll be so fine with me since I want it to stay constant for years as long as I don't upgrade more, the next upgrade would be to Haswell or Broadwell anyway which will be Q4 2013 or 2014. They're announcing in Q2 2013 but they won't release it until Q3-Q4 as far as I know. $4-6k sounds good to me as long as it gives the one of the best out there, Thanks man.

Nightynight!

If you're building this system for the long run, I highly suggest doing a bit of custom work - especially with paint jobs. Whether you find a graphics designer or ask a friend who's 'artsy', a custom paint job is something that really sets it apart from a stock system. Anyone can take a list of parts and build a PC. Sketchup may also be able to help you with getting an idea with building though you're more looking at that if you're doing water cooling and spacing radiators ect.

If you're building this system for the long run' date=' I highly suggest doing a bit of custom work - especially with paint jobs. Wether you find a graphics designer or ask a friend who's 'artsy', a custom paint job is something that really sets it apart from a stock system. Anyone can take a list of parts and build a PC. Sketchup may also be able to help you with getting an idea with building though you're more looking at that if you're doing water cooling and spacing radiators ect. [/quote']

Exactly what I want. I want more than just painjob, ya know. I'll go overboard on that on a case with 900D since it's super tower and can last for very long and I'm planning to get some Carbon Fiber work done on it and all; Just waiting for people here to let me know if they know any otherwise I'll end up going with some workshop for cars; they're good at designing stuff as well and an artist just needs an inspiration. Thanks for your input.

p.s. I also have several employees expert in graphics in one of my company. I can always have them to look into it as well but as of I know they aren't into hardware but they can do GFX and someone with proper skills at workshop can do the rest for me.

If you're building this system for the long run' date=' I highly suggest doing a bit of custom work - especially with paint jobs. Wether you find a graphics designer or ask a friend who's 'artsy', a custom paint job is something that really sets it apart from a stock system. Anyone can take a list of parts and build a PC. Sketchup may also be able to help you with getting an idea with building though you're more looking at that if you're doing water cooling and spacing radiators ect. [/quote']

Exactly what I want. I want more than just painjob, ya know. I'll go overboard on that on a case with 900D since it's super tower and can last for very long and I'm planning to get some Carbon Fiber work done on it and all; Just waiting for people here to let me know if they know any otherwise I'll end up going with some workshop for cars; they're good at designing stuff as well and an artist just needs an inspiration. Thanks for your input.

p.s. I also have several employees expert in graphics in one of my company. I can always have them to look into it as well but as of I know they aren't into hardware but they can do GFX and someone with proper skills at workshop can do the rest for me.

Mountain Mods are a good choice. Linus got them to do his finish on his TJ07 and I've also heard good things about Smooth Creations. With regards to the graphic design though, you're essentially looking at a box to paint - nothing too complicated to design on.

I've checked out Smooth Creations and I'll be getting in touch with them in a day or two after I make a full list with several companies that I know and then schedule a time in my day routine and spend time with them discussing everything. I agree that it's just a box to paint on but I like perfection, I wouldn't want a single point of pain at any place where I don't want even if I want a splash design on it, if you know what I mean but I do get your point that it can be done easily from anyone who knows even basic with art and paint.

Thanks a lot for your input and I'll check out Mountain Mods right now.

Thank you.

if you want dual PSUs, call an electrician and ask if you can get him to upgrade to 20A breakers SAFELY, sometimes you can because of the wiring that was used in your house, but sometimes you cant.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB