Overclocking failed!

Hi,

I overclocked my i7 6700K to 4.7 Ghz. One time I take out my gpu (I don't know why) and put it back in. I start the computer and I get error code from megatrends "overclocking failed!". I restart it same thing again set it to default boot up, overclock again same problem again. How to fix this? I want my 4.7 Ghz back! I didn't buy K processor for fun. I hope you can help me. Complete part list: i7 6700K, Asus-z170-A, Galax GTX 970 HOF, 16Gb of crucial ram, also 750W 80+ gold psu from EVGA.

Thanks for help.

reset cmos, if it still doesnt funktion you could upgrade your bios, but then makle sure u aren´t running raid

Just now, FilipSebik said:

Reset CMOS if you haven't tried yet

How can I do it on Asus z170-A?

Thanks

1 minute ago, smolkomartin1 said:

Thanks

Check your mobo manual. There should be a Clear_CMOS jumper or button that you can trip. If not (or even if there is), you can just pop the CMOS battery off of the motherboard for 15 seconds or so and let it reset that way.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

Turn off your PC and press this buttonUntitled.png

That's Deluxe, I don't have it on my mobo.

Thanks

Either:

1) Remove the CMOS battery (the round battery) and leave it overnight

2) Find a CMOS Reset jumper and set it, find that in your manual.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Just now, smolkomartin1 said:

That's Deluxe, I don't have it on my mobo.

there should be a round battery on your motherboard just take it out for a little bit 

1 hour ago, GreezyJeezy said:

there should be a round battery on your motherboard just take it out for a little bit 

And unplug the power cord from the PSU

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

And unplug the power cord from the PSU

yeah make sure its off when you take out the battery xD 

11 minutes ago, smolkomartin1 said:

Hi,

I overclocked my i7 6700K to 4.7 Ghz. One time I take out my gpu (I don't know why) and put it back in. I start the computer and I get error code from megatrends "overclocking failed!". I restart it same thing again set it to default boot up, overclock again same problem again. How to fix this? I want my 4.7 Ghz back! I didn't buy K processor for fun. I hope you can help me. Complete part list: i7 6700K, Asus-z170-A, Galax GTX 970 HOF, 16Gb of crucial ram, also 750W 80+ gold psu from EVGA.

Thanks for help.

are you overclocking through the uefi/bios or using software and then restarting?

I tried using the software that came with my Asus mobo and had issues on restart, ended up running core 1&2 at 4.7 and 3&4 at 4.6 to get it stable without effecting the fan curves too much...may be something to consider...

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

man you should have a button on the rear io to reset the cmos/bios

and pls dont fuck around with jumpers or the bios battery

Reseted CMOS and nothing happened. Even enabled Over Voltage and nothing happened.

27 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

Reset CMOS if you haven't tried yet

27 minutes ago, lh99 said:

reset cmos, if it still doesnt funktion you could upgrade your bios, but then makle sure u aren´t running raid

24 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Check your mobo manual. There should be a Clear_CMOS jumper or button that you can trip. If not (or even if there is), you can just pop the CMOS battery off of the motherboard for 15 seconds or so and let it reset that way.

23 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Either:

1) Remove the CMOS battery (the round battery) and leave it overnight

2) Find a CMOS Reset jumper and set it, find that in your manual.

22 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

17 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

are you overclocking through the uefi/bios or using software and then restarting?

I tried using the software that came with my Asus mobo and had issues on restart, ended up running core 1&2 at 4.7 and 3&4 at 4.6 to get it stable without effecting the fan curves too much...may be something to consider...

sorry if I didn't explain it clear, but if you overclock through software and not the uefi/bios the system could run stable but then fail on boot hence the error you are having, (I had the same) 

If you are over clocking in the UEFI/BIOS and still having issues then ramp up all core to 4.6 then INDIVIDUALLY put each one, IN TURN to 4.7 and see if you get a stable boot and operation, 

If you just whack all cores to 4.7 and are having issue then you need to tie down where it is you need to focus your attention :)

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

So basically you thought you had a 4.7 stable OC but you don't so if you want to get it stable you need to spend more time tinkering, the reason everyone is saying reset cmos and update mobo bios/uefi is to rule out an old software causing instabilities. 

Hope that clears it up a bit rather than just barking orders lol! 

Asetek 240mm 570LX

1 minute ago, MrG13 said:

So basically you thought you had a 4.7 stable OC but you don't so if you want to get it stable you need to spend more time tinkering, the reason everyone is saying reset cmos and update mobo bios/uefi is to rule out an old software causing instabilities. 

Hope that clears it up a bit rather than just barking orders lol! 

I get stable 4.7 through bios/uefi. Now I cannot access Windows with any overclock.

9 minutes ago, smolkomartin1 said:

Reseted CMOS and nothing happened. Even enabled Over Voltage and nothing happened.

This is very weird.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

4 minutes ago, smolkomartin1 said:

I get stable 4.7 through bios/uefi. Now I cannot access Windows with any overclock.

well if you have now reset the cmos that means the mobo should not be overclocking and running at default settings so it rules out any user fault, so what I would suggest is start to rule out any hard ware issues, as you said in the OP it seemed to start having issues after the GPU was removed and put back in I would start there, take out your GPU and boot with no OC then see if the system is stable, maybe run a short game session or benchmark software to ensure the system isn't crashing and then attempt a small overclock in the bios/uefi, say clock to 4.2 and leave everything else the same, if this works then ramp up until you get a crash so you can see a new limit for the OC

once you have this place the GPU back in and then attempt again, if it boots on default with no oc and then can't handle anything you will be looking at either a GPU issue or possibly powersupply causing an issue for the hard ware so you can look into testing that....

if you cant get any OC with the GPU out make sure all ram is sat in correctly and all drivers are completely up to date and mobo is on the newest version as it seems you have a software issue....that should keep you busy for a while and also point you in the right direction anyway.... 

worst case scenario you may have static shocked the board or something and its going to be a pain to diagnose, best case a setting has been flicked on instead of off and you get lucky whilst tinkering! either way keep us updated :)

Asetek 240mm 570LX

3 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

well if you have now reset the cmos that means the mobo should not be overclocking and running at default settings so it rules out any user fault, so what I would suggest is start to rule out any hard ware issues, as you said in the OP it seemed to start having issues after the GPU was removed and put back in I would start there, take out your GPU and boot with no OC then see if the system is stable, maybe run a short game session or benchmark software to ensure the system isn't crashing and then attempt a small overclock in the bios/uefi, say clock to 4.2 and leave everything else the same, if this works then ramp up until you get a crash so you can see a new limit for the OC

once you have this place the GPU back in and then attempt again, if it boots on default with no oc and then can't handle anything you will be looking at either a GPU issue or possibly powersupply causing an issue for the hard ware so you can look into testing that....

if you cant get any OC with the GPU out make sure all ram is sat in correctly and all drivers are completely up to date and mobo is on the newest version as it seems you have a software issue....that should keep you busy for a while and also point you in the right direction anyway.... 

worst case scenario you may have static shocked the board or something and its going to be a pain to diagnose, best case a setting has been flicked on instead of off and you get lucky whilst tinkering! either way keep us updated :)

Ok, I will try it tomorrow (is night right now in my country), but I want to say something too. This problem occurred when 1st time overclocking. I overclock it first time when I build it. I don't know how I do it, but I don't remember how I do it. I know I do it with MemOK! Button or I waited to another day and after something it worked.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, smolkomartin1 said:

Ok, I will try it tomorrow (is night right now in my country), but I want to say something too. This problem occurred when 1st time overclocking. I overclock it first time when I build it. I don't know how I do it, but I don't remember how I do it. I know I do it with MemOK! Button or I waited to another day and after something it worked.

Thanks

As far as I know the MemOK! button is for RAM issues which if you can boot to windows (as you said you could with no over clock) then I cannot see that as being an issue at this time, I would hazard a guess that your ramping up the voltage too high or something so what I would suggest is whilst you go to sleep check out linus guide to OC the 6700k below and start with a clear head tomorrow :)

Asetek 240mm 570LX