X99 5960X - Vcore Limit or Temp Limit?

Hi All

Had my system running for around a year now with an stable overclock of 4.5Ghz at 1.3v. 

The system consists of the following:

i7 5960x

32Gb Corsair Dom Ram

MSI Gaming 7 X99

2x Msi 980Ti (1480 Core Clock OC and 3900 Mem OC).

Corsair Hx1000

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case

Custom water-cooled loop for Graphics cards and Cpu. 

Under Aida 64 stability test the max CPU temp sits around the 60 degree mark (just let it run for 4 hours) and even when running heaven or other GPU tests they only get around 45-50 degrees so the water cooling loop has plenty of head room (420 and 280 - 60mm thick alphacool radiators). 

My question is seeing i have considerable headroom in the cpu temp department is it safe to push the voltage up on the core? 

Is it as simple as keeping the CPU temp below say 80 degrees or is too much voltage even with low temps bad for the CPU?

Cheers 

i7 5960x, 16Gb Corsair 3200, MSI x99 Gaming 9, 2x SLI MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, Corsair HX1000i, Intel 750 Series PCI-E, Phanteks Primo Orange, Custom Watercooled. 

You have plenty of headroom to overclock. You could probably get it to 4.3-4.5GHz if you wanted to and still have headroom!

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

1 minute ago, Insp1r3 said:

You have plenty of headroom to overclock. You could probably get it to 4.3-4.5GHz if you wanted to and still have headroom!

Thanks but as i stated in the first line its currently overclocked at 4.5Ghz at 1.3v and getting those temps. so i am wondering if i can keep going as its obviously stable as its been overclocked at 4.5Ghz for over a year now. 

i7 5960x, 16Gb Corsair 3200, MSI x99 Gaming 9, 2x SLI MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, Corsair HX1000i, Intel 750 Series PCI-E, Phanteks Primo Orange, Custom Watercooled. 

5 minutes ago, natep_87 said:

Thanks but as i stated in the first line its currently overclocked at 4.5Ghz at 1.3v and getting those temps. so i am wondering if i can keep going as its obviously stable as its been overclocked at 4.5Ghz for over a year now. 

Ah, apologies on that one.

I, personally, would keep it at that speed. 4.5GHz is quite the overclock on an 8-core CPU as it is, but if you want to go higher than that, I would love to see it go to 5GHz see how far you can get! ;)

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

The highest i would go would be ~1.4V, don't let temps go over 80C

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The highest i would go would be ~1.4V, don't let temps go over 80C

So 1.35v would be ok for the long term because i got 4.7ghz and didn't get any crashes on Aida64 for an hour and temps maxed out at 71 degrees last night but wasn't sure about long term how that fairs for the CPU compared to 1.3v. 

Just now, natep_87 said:

So 1.35v would be ok for the long term because i got 4.7ghz and didn't get any crashes on Aida64 for an hour and temps maxed out at 71 degrees last night but wasn't sure about long term how that fairs fro teh CPU compared to 1.3v. 

that should be fine. But again it depends how comfortable you are with adding voltage. However , that is considered to be in the "safe" range.

It seems you got a very good chip though. Good luck 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

guys are doing 2V under LN2

you can go 1.35 no probs, if the temp is still fine you can do 1.4

past that you will either be at temperature limit or power delivery limit

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Thanks for the comments, i have rarely been lucky enough to get a chip that is what seems to be a good overclocker and also have the headroom in the cooling system to keep going, hence the question about voltages vs temp. 

I will give it crack and see what i can get without going to far but i know i can get 4.7 on 1.35 stable and still only just get 70 degrees.