Help build a PC for VR

I've decided to pre-order Vive and I just need a PC now. I don't really have a budget I just need a PC that will play VR games at a solid fps. I'm also new to VR so any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance c00ns

10 minutes ago, Aytex said:

budget

idc if you say you dont have a budget, we all know you have one :P

I don't know how much it will cost. I'm guessing around $1500? My budget would be a little more so I have some headroom for the future. NOT FUTUREPROOFING just headroom. But if I can save money AND have a little headroom or not idk then I'll go cheaper because I'm not the 1%

Is this including the headset? If yes you're kinda screwed if you want a playable experience. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Is this including the headset? If yes you're kinda screwed if you want a playable experience. 

I just meant I am willing to pay a bit more than the average VR PC so I have some headroom. I have idea what the requirements are so I don't know the cost. Also what headset? Is there a specific headset I need? I was planning on using my own.

20 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

I've decided to pre-order Vive and I just need a PC now. I don't really have a budget I just need a PC that will play VR games at a solid fps. I'm also new to VR so any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance c00ns

If you are to build for VR, you are really looking towards an AMD GPU. For now LiquidVR has quite a lot more advantages.

It also depends on what games you plan to play in VR. If we are talking Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen, I will have to recommend you an i7 CPU (or perhaps wait up for AMD's Zen if you can). In any case, the minimum requirements are an i5 4590 equivalent or greater, NVidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 290, 8GB of RAM. Make sure to have 2 USB-3 ports for Oculus (in case you change your mind). 

Save up your budget for now, unless you have to build a PC right now. AMD's Polaris and NVidia's Pascal new generation of GPUs are close to release now. I can give you an example of a PC build, it's your call...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

7 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

If you are to build for VR, you are really looking towards an AMD GPU. For now LiquidVR has quite a lot more advantages.

It also depends on what games you plan to play in VR. If we are talking Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen, I will have to recommend you an i7 CPU (or perhaps wait up for AMD's Zen if you can). In any case, the minimum requirements are an i5 4590 equivalent or greater, NVidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 290, 8GB of RAM. Make sure to have 2 USB-3 ports for Oculus (in case you change your mind). 

Save up your budget for now, unless you have to build a PC right now. AMD's Polaris and NVidia's Pascal new generation of GPUs are close to release now. I can give you an example of a PC build, it's your call...

Think I'll wait but could you link me a pcpartpicker just so I get a sense of what a high end VR machine looks like

THIS  is my take on it as of NOW, VR is super intensive on gpu more than cpu and so i went with r9 fury x( reason being its amd fastest and has liquid VR technology). But you might want to change to an i7 + z97 or something else!

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

1 minute ago, huracan said:

THIS  is my take on it as of NOW, VR is super intensive on gpu more than cpu and so i went with r9 fury x( reason being its amd fastest and has liquid VR technology). But you might want to change to an i7 + z97 or something else!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DVS/D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.77 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card  ($599.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1133.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 19:48 EDT-0400 

@Aytex  I agree dude but i find haswell a little cheaper(in canada atleast) and is on par with skylake and im not sure if that asrock board( i had a ton of issues with my asrock board ) i would avoid asrock in lower end.

Edited by huracan

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

this is what i would do with this Bridget right now. but i would really wait for next gen gpu's

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xyTqYJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xyTqYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($74.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($126.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card  ($619.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.59 @ NZXT) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1528.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 19:53 EDT-0400

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

3 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

but i would really wait for next gen gpu's

^^ THIS and with the link you've provided i'd say with taxes and shipping and (i doubt he/she would use mail in rebate) so that an additional 75 - 150 $ on top of the price.

Edited by huracan