How to choose a modem?

NoLoMo
Go to solution Solved by papapoi,
6 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

My uncle is looking to buy a modem, which to my understanding is different from a router. Anything I should look out for? I'm going to be shopping at Frys Electronics but if there is another place that I can look around please suggest. I'm in uncharted water so I'm greatful for any and all suggestions. 

1) find out what your download/upload speeds are

2) see if your isp has a recommended list of modems

3) think of what your budget will be

4) do you want a modem and a router or a modem/router combo

5) check reviews on the modems and specs that are aboove what your speeds are(leave space for future speed upgrades) and choose your top 3 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=modems 

6) look for the best price/performance

7) search for prices on amazon, amazon warehouse, blinq, ebay, etc, even, lots of cheap used modems because people are upgrading them and have no use for the slower ones

8) if still unsure post another topic and put your top 3 and ask everyones opinion on it. 

My uncle is looking to buy a modem, which to my understanding is different from a router. Anything I should look out for? I'm going to be shopping at Frys Electronics but if there is another place that I can look around please suggest. I'm in uncharted water so I'm greatful for any and all suggestions. 

Don't buy a $10 modem... That's all I look out for when buying a modem. And good reviews too.

Just now, NoLoMo said:

I don't know much about modems, but i know that they are not routers and you need it for landline telephone, as well as connecting it to your router, and for cable television. Most of them are the same it seems.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

well yeah it's maybe the most important piece of your network IMO, it's the hub between you and the internet, while routers are like traffic cops, telling evceryone where to drive on the network inside your home

Haven't used a dedicated modem for at least 10 years.
I would simply look into a modem/router/switch combo which makes it a lot easier to set up and it'll look a lot cleaner.

6 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

1) find out what your download/upload speeds are

2) see if your isp has a recommended list of modems

3) think of what your budget will be

4) do you want a modem and a router or a modem/router combo

5) check reviews on the modems and specs that are aboove what your speeds are(leave space for future speed upgrades) and choose your top 3 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=modems 

6) look for the best price/performance

7) search for prices on amazon, amazon warehouse, blinq, ebay, etc, even, lots of cheap used modems because people are upgrading them and have no use for the slower ones

8) if still unsure post another topic and put your top 3 and ask everyones opinion on it. 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20