First build, driving myself nuts...

Loosh

So ive never had a desktop before mostly because i havent been in the same place for a long time (been gaming on laptops forever, currently on a msi ghost pro) but now that ive settled down for the foreseeable future ive decided to go for my first build. After literally months of planning and watching build guides/logs and looking up the latest tech i decided on a build.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z170 S
RAM; 2x8GB Mushkin DDR4
Storage: 1x 240GB M.2 (Predator x)
GPU: Zotac GTX 980ti OC
CPU: Intel i7 6700k 'SkyLake'
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX extreme performance 240mm
Power Supply:  EVGA 80 Plus bronze 850 W
Case: Corsair Graphite 760T (white)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

I was very happy with this build up until the very moment I found out about Pascal, which actually wasnt all that long ago - about 2 months. I decided to wait for Pascal to come out because i assumed the 1080 would be slightly better than that 980ti and around the same price (plus its part of the new set so im just thinking that itll have better driver support down the line as well). 

But now that im gonna be waiting for Pascal i might as well hold off on the monitor seeing as pascal is gonna have a display port 1.3 which will be able to run 4k at high frame rates. but then i started looking up what display port 1.3 can really do and found out about HDR which sounds pretty neat but dp 1.3 can only run 4K HDR at 60hz so im back to a 1440p monitor at 170hz and HDR. 

And since I'm waiting for both those things i might as well wait everything out, and at this rate i'll never build this pc! I dont know what to do with myself and im not really sure what my question is here as ive completely lost the plot. 

Discuss...

Note: ive already got the Motherboard, M.2 SSD, and Case, as i ordered those before my life was ruined.

3 minutes ago, Loosh said:

So ive never had a desktop before mostly because i havent been in the same place for a long time (been gaming on laptops forever, currently on a msi ghost pro) but now that ive settled down for the foreseeable future ive decided to go for my first build. After literally months of planning and watching build guides/logs and looking up the latest tech i decided on a build.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z170 S
RAM; 2x8GB Mushkin DDR4
Storage: 1x 240GB M.2 (Predator x)
GPU: Zotac GTX 980ti OC
CPU: Intel i7 6700k 'SkyLake'
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX extreme performance 240mm
Power Supply:  EVGA 80 Plus bronze 850 W
Case: Corsair Graphite 760T (white)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

I was very happy with this build up until the very moment I found out about Pascal, which actually wasnt all that long ago - about 2 months. I decided to wait for Pascal to come out because i assumed the 1080 would be slightly better than that 980ti and around the same price (plus its part of the new set so im just thinking that itll have better driver support down the line as well). 

But now that im gonna be waiting for Pascal i might as well hold off on the monitor seeing as pascal is gonna have a display port 1.3 which will be able to run 4k at high frame rates. but then i started looking up what display port 1.3 can really do and found out about HDR which sounds pretty neat but dp 1.3 can only run 4K HDR at 60hz so im back to a 1440p monitor at 170hz and HDR. 

And since I'm waiting for both those things i might as well wait everything out, and at this rate i'll never build this pc! I dont know what to do with myself and im not really sure what my question is here as ive completely lost the plot. 

Discuss...

Note: ive already got the Motherboard, M.2 SSD, and Case, as i ordered those before my life was ruined.

Well other than the monitor and the GPU, what is there to wait for? 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Well other than the monitor and the GPU, what is there to wait for? 

Nothing really but then again I dont really know. I heard that Kabylake is coming out quite soon but im not too fussed about that as its just a refresh since 'Cannonlake' was delayed and besides I think the 6700k is already kind of overkill for what im gonna be doing. 

Im just a bit confused about the whole monitor thing. How long after the cards come out will we be seeing high end monitors that fully take advantage of the technology (dp 1.3)?

Just now, Loosh said:

Nothing really but then again I dont really know. I heard that Kabylake is coming out quite soon but im not too fussed about that as its just a refresh since 'Cannonlake' was delayed and besides I think the 6700k is already kind of overkill for what im gonna be doing. 

Im just a bit confused about the whole monitor thing. How long after the cards come out will we be seeing high end monitors that fully take advantage of the technology (dp 1.3)?

Kaby Lake, then Cannon Lake next year. Kaby Lake is still 14nm and won't be much faster. 5-10% at the most. What games are you playing?

I know AMD announced monitors that maaaaaaay have HDR and DP 1.3 in the summer. I'll try finding the article for you.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I'd change a few things, instead of the 850w bronze evga get the 650w gold or platinum one (G2/P2) and yes it is plenty for a single 980ti or future pascal. The ram I'd rather go with something more mainstream like Corsair, Kingston, G.Skill.... Add a HDD, because a 240gb SSD won't be enough in the long run, and finally u might take a look at some Noctua air coolers. The NH-D14/D15 have equivalent performance to the 100i, and yet they have less points of failure, and are super silent. The rest is pretty standard so you can't go wrong here. Now it's just the matter of time until pascal cards are released for consumers, no one knows when that'll happen

Just now, Loosh said:

Thanks!  Although I think im gearing more towards monitors with G-sync cuz im going for pascal (well, i think im going for pascal anyway). But I guess they'll be out around the same time.

That was the best info I could find, but they shouldn't be to far apart. I'm just waiting to see what AMD does with Polaris.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

5 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

I'd change a few things, instead of the 850w bronze evga get the 650w gold or platinum one (G2/P2) and yes it is plenty for a single 980ti or future pascal. The ram I'd rather go with something more mainstream like Corsair, Kingston, G.Skill.... Add a HDD, because a 240gb SSD won't be enough in the long run, and finally u might take a look at some Noctua air coolers. The NH-D14/D15 have equivalent performance to the 100i, and yet they have less points of failure, and are super silent. The rest is pretty standard so you can't go wrong here. Now it's just the matter of time until pascal cards are released for consumers, no one knows when that'll happen

Is there any difference between Mushkin and any of the more mainstream brands? I was gonna go for Corsair when i started but the guy at the pc shop I go to said that Mushkin was cheaper and that as far as speed is concerned theyre pretty much identical (not sure how true that is and its kinda hard to research stuff about mushkin as not many people use it).

I forgot to mention that i'll be getting a 1tb Samsung SSD to go with the M.2 drive, i'll edit that in a sec. 

Going for aircooling does make sense so i'll give that a thought too!

As for the power supply, the reason im going a little overboard is because i want to leave a little room for improvement in terms of adding 1 or 2 GPU's and running them in SLI.

Thanks for the advice!!

2 minutes ago, Loosh said:

Is there any difference between Mushkin and any of the more mainstream brands? I was gonna go for Corsair when i started but the guy at the pc shop I go to said that Mushkin was cheaper and that as far as speed is concerned theyre pretty much identical (not sure how true that is and its kinda hard to research stuff about mushkin as not many people use it).

I forgot to mention that i'll be getting a 1tb Samsung SSD to go with the M.2 drive, i'll edit that in a sec. 

As for the power supply, the reason im going a little overboard is because i want to leave a little room for improvement in terms of adding 1 or 2 GPU's and running them in SLI.

Thanks for the advice!!

the guy at the pc shop is correct, ram is ram, they don't have any advantages over each other except asthetics

4 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

That was the best info I could find, but they shouldn't be to far apart. I'm just waiting to see what AMD does with Polaris.

Yeah there isnt much out there :/ I'd just hate to be waiting till next year or something is all. 

Dont really know too much about Polaris tbh but im open to everything really. I'll probably go for whoever launches first if they seem to be pretty evenly matched.

1 minute ago, Loosh said:

Thanks for the advice!!

If you're looking for a price/performance in RAM (although they are all really close) go for G.Skill, i got myself a 32 gb kit (4x8) for 200$ and I'm having no problems. I read about them before buying and reviews and everything said that they're good. I just have no experience with Mushkin, that might be my problem. Other than that it's pretty cool, but i just dislike the bronze rating on the PSU :< (but it's still an Evga)

8 minutes ago, Loosh said:

If you go for the Noctua NH-D14 (not sure if the NH-D15 has the same problem), make sure that it is compatible, that cooler is massive and some high profile ram won't fit

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/d14install-007-jpg.44191/

CPU: I7 4790k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 2 * 1TB 7200rpm HDD | PSU: EVGA 600b 80 plus bronze | Display(s): Asus PB287Q | Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10 PRO

7 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

If you're looking for a price/performance in RAM (although they are all really close) go for G.Skill, i got myself a 32 gb kit (4x8) for 200$ and I'm having no problems. I read about them before buying and reviews and everything said that they're good. I just have no experience with Mushkin, that might be my problem. Other than that it's pretty cool, but i just dislike the bronze rating on the PSU :< (but it's still an Evga)

What does the rating actually mean? <.< Efficiency?

4 minutes ago, Luraguse said:

If you go for the Noctua NH-D14, make sure that it is compatible, that cooler is massive and some high profile ram won't fit

23 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

How likely is it that an All-in-one liquid cooler will leak or explode or give me a headache?

I need to put up forum posts when im at work more often, time flies :P

3 minutes ago, Loosh said:

How likely is it that an All-in-one liquid cooler will leak or explode or give me a headache?

The same chances of you getting the lottery jackpot (leakages are very rare, and I've never seen explosions yet lol)

6 minutes ago, Loosh said:

Maybe less than 0.01%, I don't think it's common, but honestly I don't know. In my case I didn't want to risk something like that since I don't live in the US and warranties can be a pain here.

CPU: I7 4790k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 2 * 1TB 7200rpm HDD | PSU: EVGA 600b 80 plus bronze | Display(s): Asus PB287Q | Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10 PRO

7 minutes ago, Loosh said:

What does the rating actually mean? <.< Efficiency?

See what you'll be doing, google a bit what ram speed and latency you'll need to select the perfect ram. G.Skill for me has the best bang for the buck. See the ratings on amazon/newegg if people were having issues with it or not. Other than that not much. But be sure to go DDR4 in your skylake build. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888 - here's an example, but also the performance differences are really really small, so see the aesthetics as well (the looks).

9 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

See what you'll be doing, google a bit what ram speed and latency you'll need to select the perfect ram. G.Skill for me has the best bang for the buck. See the ratings on amazon/newegg if people were having issues with it or not. Other than that not much. But be sure to go DDR4 in your skylake build. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888 - here's an example, but also the performance differences are really really small, so see the aesthetics as well (the looks).

Difference in RAM prices between where im at and abroad (Amazon) isnt much at all so that'll be one of the few things i can buy locally. That being said I dont have that many options (really just Mushkin or Hyperx) they look relatively similar but the Mushkins are cheaper which is pretty much the only reason I was going for Mushkin but if theres a good reason to go Hyperx instead then i wont mind paying that little bit extra

1 hour ago, Luraguse said:

If you go for the Noctua NH-D14 (not sure if the NH-D15 has the same problem), make sure that it is compatible, that cooler is massive and some high profile ram won't fit

I have the Noctua NH-D15 with Kingston Hyper X savage 2400Mhz and it's fine, but I have a z97 mobo so only have RAM one side of the heatsink, so the fan on that side just sits a little higher is all, maybe 5-10mm... but still cools massively. ATM I am sitting in a room that is approx 20 degrees C and fan temp shows hottest core is 23C on idle, whilst testing in  AIDA64 it reaches approx 64C with an OC to 4.4Ghz applied on my i5 4670k. I leave a little headroom personally so that when temps are hotter in the summer time it doesn't bug out. You can barely hear the fans when it's idle by the way, and when on higher load 40c+ I just have the fan speed set to a tolerable level and is still pretty quiet IMO... this is the best air cooler I have ever owned and has pretty much made me a noctua convert with their accessories and great designed heatsinks and fans.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, Loosh said:

Difference in RAM prices between where im at and abroad (Amazon) isnt much at all so that'll be one of the few things i can buy locally. That being said I dont have that many options (really just Mushkin or Hyperx) they look relatively similar but the Mushkins are cheaper which is pretty much the only reason I was going for Mushkin but if theres a good reason to go Hyperx instead then i wont mind paying that little bit extra

Not a big difference, hyperx is is just a stronger brand and more famous, but performance wise ram is all in all pretty close, so whichever is cheaper but reputable go for that one