XMP profile turns on cpu turbo boost

Hi guys ,

Whenever i select an XPM profile 1 from my bios it turns up my RAM to 2666MHZ however my RAM's actual speed is 3000MHZ.

Also as soon as i initiate the XMP profile 1... it overclocks my cpu to 4.20 ghz from 4.00 ghz.

Here are my System specs.

CPU - core i7 6700k

Ram- Gskill ripjawsv 2 x 8gb @ 3000MHZ

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5.

I need some help to set my ram speed at its advertised frequency and not to overclock my cpu.

Can anybody help me out ?

i would really appreciate that

The problem is your motherboard.  Some motherboards immediately set the CPU to it's Turbo Boost frequency as soon as XMP is enabled.  Your 6700k's Turbo Boost frequency is 4.2ghz.  You either have to disable Turbo Boost in your bios, or switch to a motherboard that doesn't force it.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

34 minutes ago, Orblivion said:

The problem is your motherboard.  Some motherboards immediately set the CPU to it's Turbo Boost frequency as soon as XMP is enabled.  Your 6700k's Turbo Boost frequency is 4.2ghz.  You either have to disable Turbo Boost in your bios, or switch to a motherboard that doesn't force it.

i cant switch to a new board as this is my latest build......i hope there is a way to turn off the turbo boost.

what about the RAM speed how can i get it to run at the advertised speed of 3000mhz

Are there multiple XMP profiles for you to switch between?  One of them should be at 3000mhz

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

27 minutes ago, Orblivion said:

Are there multiple XMP profiles for you to switch between?  One of them should be at 3000mhz

there are just 2 options ... one is "Disable" and second is "Profile 1" which turns my ram speed to 2666

When xmp is enabled it increases the CPU strap to 125mhz and that is why your CPU is running at turbo boost clocks. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but, not to long ago, I had to do a x99 build and I got some Kingston hyper x ram and a 5820k. The ram is 2666mhz and CPU stock is 3.3ghz. When I enable xmp, I was expecting the CPU strap to jump to 125mHz and CPU to run at turbo clocks, but it did not. CPU strap is at 100mhz, CPU is at stock,  and the ram has xmp enabled, running at 2666mhz, and turbo only kicks in when I did some CPU benchmarks. So I took at the ram and saw they run at the standard ddr4 1.2v. Maybe it's this that helps the CPU not run at turbo clocks, when xmp is enabled.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I thought there were usually 2 xmp profiles, maybe not.  Regardless, what are your other memory settings right now, like memory enhancement settings and memory timing mode?

may b i can turn off the turbo clock feature from the bios but what about my ram speed how can i get it to run at its intended speed of 3000mhz ?

can i set up another XMP profile ?

Your motherboard has a bios update listed that shows "improved xmp compatibility".  Maybe try downloading that and seeing if it helps.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#bios

9 minutes ago, Orblivion said:

Your motherboard has a bios update listed that shows "improved xmp compatibility".  Maybe try downloading that and seeing if it helps.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#bios

i was about to ask that shall i update my BIOS...

when i download the BIOS file from the site its is showing that it's corrupted >.<

Alright guys .... an update for the BIOS did the trick now it's running at 3000MHZ stable .

Thank you for your help... :) 

this is by far the best place to get help