Used Blue Snowball

Hackentosher

So as it stands, I have a horrendous audio situation. Please, try not to vomit. Currently, I am rocking my Razer Kraken Pros and... nothing else. I want to get a pair of m50(x)'s and a blue snowball to sit on my desk for those Skype calls maybe a bit of YouTube production in the future. I don't really want to spend the $60 ish for a new one off amazon, but the cool $20-30~ (I'm punny, damn it!) for a used one off e-bay is much more attractive. Now, does anyone have any input on actually buying a used snowball? Should I be concerned about wear and tear, how the previous owner has treated the mic, anything to look out for? Thanks!

ASU

I have a used snowball, they're durable and good quality for the price. do it!

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

as long as it works when you buy it (make sure to test it first) then it probably isnt damaged and is just like new

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

as long as it works when you buy it (make sure to test it first) then it probably isnt damaged and is just like new

E-bay.

ASU

IMO go for a modmic to stick on those M50xs you wanna get. (IMO get the M40xs instead, they're nearly the same thing, except the M40xs are a lot cheaper).

That or save up a bit for a new mic (or at least a higher quality one, the snowball lacks a bit in the lower end, and just doesn't sound amazing)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

IMO go for a modmic to stick on those M50xs you wanna get. (IMO get the M40xs instead, they're nearly the same thing, except the M40xs are a lot cheaper).

That or save up a bit for a new mic (or at least a higher quality one, the snowball lacks a bit in the lower end, and just doesn't sound amazing)

Well I can spare about $30 right now so I figure a proper mic would be a good step forward.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

E-bay.

craigslist is better

i saw one for $30 a while ago here in vancouver

if youre patient and you look long enough you will find one

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Well I can spare about $30 right now so I figure a proper mic would be a good step forward.

It's usually a better idea to just wait and get something higher end from the start instead of getting something to hold you over then moving up. (I've learned that the hard way)

UNLESS you will still have a use for the hold over item after you get the higher end item, or are willing to take the loss in selling it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

It's usually a better idea to just wait and get something higher end from the start instead of getting something to hold you over then moving up. (I've learned that the hard way)

UNLESS you will still have a use for the hold over item after you get the higher end item, or are willing to take the loss in selling it.

I think a snowball will be fine. I'll probably get a job this summer, so if need be I can upgrade to an AT2020 or more likely, get a pair of m40/50's or if I really want to splurge, some AKG q701's (or similar models) or DT880's and a Schiit amp of sorts.

ASU

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

craigslist is better

i saw one for $30 a while ago here in vancouver

if youre patient and you look long enough you will find one

Hmm, nothing really in my area on craigslist. I think E-bay is a better option in my case. I haven't bought much off of ebay, especially used. Anything I can look out for to prevent getting ripped?

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I think a snowball will be fine. I'll probably get a job this summer, so if need be I can upgrade to an AT2020 or more likely, get a pair of m40/50's or if I really want to splurge, some AKG q701's (or similar models) or DT880's and a Schiit amp of sorts.

On that note, if you upgrade the an at2020, if you want to use it with anything other than a computer, get the xlr version, otherwise, the usb version will probably be a bit easier for you as you won't have to deal with mixers and such.

I got the AT2020USB, and honestly wish I had gone for the AT2020 XLR version instead, that way I could use a physical mixer with it and also use it with some other devices (such as a DSLR) with the correct adapters. But I guess I just have to deal with a usb only mic for now...

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

On that note, if you upgrade the an at2020, if you want to use it with anything other than a computer, get the xlr version, otherwise, the usb version will probably be a bit easier for you as you won't have to deal with mixers and such.

I got the AT2020USB, and honestly wish I had gone for the AT2020 XLR version instead, that way I could use a physical mixer with it and also use it with some other devices (such as a DSLR) with the correct adapters. But I guess I just have to deal with a usb only mic for now...

Yeah that was my plan, and use an Alesis mixer thang like JayzTwoCents.

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm looking at this one, primarily because of the buy now price http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid-/252341579425?hash=item3ac0baeea1:g:DHcAAOSwsN9XADaR Any obvious red flags I'm missing?

Might be missing the shipping, it'd cost you $45 when you add shipping in.

Seller has no reviews, so you can't tell if they're trustworthy or not.

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Might be missing the shipping, it'd cost you $45 when you add shipping in.

Seller has no reviews, so you can't tell if they're trustworthy or not.

If I'm thinking of the same seller, he's also selling an older gaming computer by Cyberpower (i think) so it looks like he had his fun as a gamer and is now dumping his gear to get more serious about life.

ASU

I just got a snowball ice for 45 new on amazon,the ice only has one mode.

12 hours ago, Dark_Fuzzy said:

I just got a snowball ice for 45 new on amazon,the ice only has one mode.

Welp, too late, ordered one about 12 hours ago. 

ASU