I've heard a little something about Samsung SSDs...

Noirgheos

That they auto set all the needed or wanted settings so your SSD runs at it's best. So I won't have to set TRIM and AHCI anymore? Do I run this Magician software after installing Windows 10?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

I didn't bother imo, but there is probably someone somewhere that would disagree with me.

Just now, pspfreak said:

I didn't bother imo, but there is probably someone somewhere that would disagree with me.

So did you do the optimizations manually or does Windows 10 magically do it by itself?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, Noirgheos said:

So did you do the optimizations manually or does Windows 10 magically do it by itself?

I didn't do any optimizations. Windows automagically detects that you have an ssd and enables trim. I disabled hibernation using powercfg -h off, simply because my pc is always either on or in sleep mode. 

Just now, pspfreak said:

I didn't do any optimizations. Windows automagically detects that you have an ssd and enables trim. I disabled hibernation using powercfg -h off, simply because my pc is always either on or in sleep mode. 

Ah alright so all that stuff is outdated now I guess. Still my first Samsung SSD and I have to say I'm impressed. Now to wait for my Freesync monitor to arrive and finally my dream rig.

3 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Ah alright so all that stuff is outdated now I guess. Still my first Samsung SSD and I have to say I'm impressed. Now to wait for my Freesync monitor to arrive and finally my dream rig.

Like i said some bigshot know it all will probably disagree with me lol. Yeah I'm still lovin my 840 pro 15TB later!

3 minutes ago, pspfreak said:

Like i said some bigshot know it all will probably disagree with me lol. Yeah I'm still lovin my 840 pro 15TB later!

Excuse me. Bigshot coming through - make way. :D Windows 10 will indeed acknowledge the fact that you installed to an SSD and at least enable TRIM.

Samsung's Magician Software provides shortcuts to turning on and off things like Hibernation or Volume Shadow Copies depending on your needs.

I only have it installed because I still have an older 840 non-EVO drive as my boot drive. Waiting for it to die so I can be exclusively using Crucial MX200 drives.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Excuse me. Bigshot coming through - make way. :D Windows 10 will indeed acknowledge the fact that you installed to an SSD and at least enable TRIM.

Samsung's Magician Software provides shortcuts to turning on and off things like Hibernation or Volume Shadow Copies depending on your needs.

I only have it installed because I still have an older 840 non-EVO drive as my boot drive. Waiting for it to die so I can be exclusively using Crucial MX200 drives.

I have a Crucial MX200. So you're telling me all the magician software does is have shortcuts for stuff I could turn off myself in a minute?

Just now, Noirgheos said:

I have a Crucial MX200. So you're telling me all the magician software does is have shortcuts for stuff I could turn off myself in a minute?

Screenshot 2016-04-04 16.26.52.png

If you know how to do all that, then no, you don't need the Magician Software for anything other than Firmware Updates. Even those you can do manually.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Screenshot 2016-04-04 16.26.52.png

If you know how to do all that, then no, you don't need the Magician Software for anything other than Firmware Updates. Even those you can do manually.

Oh so it does have other useful stuff. Performance benchmark looks nice. Guess I'll install it.

1 hour ago, Noirgheos said:

So I won't have to set TRIM and AHCI anymore?

AHCI or alternative drive control modes like IDE or RAID are dictated by the storage controller firmware (Typically your UEFI or BIOS).  You still DO have to set AHCI (Or whatever mode you need) manually, though AHCI is typically the default these days, you should still totally check if you just built a machine and are about to install an OS on it.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

AHCI or alternative drive control modes like IDE or RAID are dictated by the storage controller firmware (Typically your UEFI or BIOS).  You still DO have to set AHCI (Or whatever mode you need) manually, though AHCI is typically the default these days, you should still totally check if you just built a machine and are about to install an OS on it.

Yeah it's what I've been doing for a while.