60FPS don't feel Smooth

Evann

Hi,

First of all, my Setup:

i5 6600

Asus Strix GTX 970 OC (around 1310mhz)

16GB DDR4 DIMM 2400

Monitor: LG24GM77 at 144hz

My Problem is hard to describe, most of the games i Play - even if i have 60FPS+ - just dont look smooth at all, what can be the Problem?

I first thought it might be stuttering caused by the overload of the 3.5GB VRam of my GTX 970, but in the most of the Game there isn't even half of it beeing used.

Do you have any Idea .. oO - really dont know what to do.

I also do have a 2nd Monitor with 60hz only, but i dont think that can be a reason..

Thanks for all answers!

tearing?

also watch the frametime graph on Rivatuner Statistics Server

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Change resolution" and select the right monitor. Does it say 60hz or 144hz? I know I had to set mine to 144hz manually.

3 minutes ago, Tosa said:

In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Change resolution" and select the right monitor. Does it say 60hz or 144hz? I know I had to set mine to 144hz manually.

Already did that ... Didnt worked for me. Watching 60FPS from youtube or friends seems way more smooth then on my screen. :(

check windows display settings and make sure its even running at 60hz

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

go to display in the control panal, adjust resolution, advanced settings.

in the new box that pops up go to the monitor tab and see what the refresh rate is

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, Nexxus said:

check windows display settings and make sure its even running at 60hz

What do you mean? My main Monitor runs with 144hz or 60hz without a Problem. Right now its set to 144hz.

Just now, Evann said:

What do you mean? My main Monitor runs with 144hz or 60hz without a Problem. Right now its set to 144hz.

see above second post

System Specs

7 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

go to display in the control panal, adjust resolution, advanced settings.

in the new box that pops up go to the monitor tab and see what the refresh rate is

I dont know what you mean, i dont have something like "advanced settings". After i clicked on "adjust resolution" i see my 2 Monitors, their resolution + hz number. My main monitor is set to 144hz, my second one at 60FPS.

In the Device Manager the Displays are named PnP-Monitor, and not their real names, is that normal?

29 minutes ago, DXMember said:

tearing?

also watch the frametime graph on Rivatuner Statistics Server

Im to stupid, how do display the frametime graph on Rivatuner Statistics Server o_O?

Try going to "Adjust desktop size and positions" in the Nvidia Control Panel, select the right monitor, check the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" and ensure the refresh rate is right there as well. Not saying it'll necessarily solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

12 minutes ago, Evann said:

I dont know what you mean, i dont have something like "advanced settings". After i clicked on "adjust resolution" i see my 2 Monitors, their resolution + hz number. My main monitor is set to 144hz, my second one at 60FPS.

In the Device Manager the Displays are named PnP-Monitor, and not their real names, is that normal?

yes its normal

OpGfd31.png

System Specs

5 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

yes its normal

OpGfd31.png

Thank you. So yes, my Mainscreen is running on 144 Hertz, my Second one on 60 Hertz. (damn Windows 10, was looking in the "new" Control-Panel). 

Can it also be a Hardware Issue? Like a "broken" GTX 970? (even tho clock and everything is normal). I've been in like 20 Forums where people were complaining the same issue, over 90% of them said they have a GTX 970. 

11 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Try going to "Adjust desktop size and positions" in the Nvidia Control Panel, select the right monitor, check the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" and ensure the refresh rate is right there as well. Not saying it'll necessarily solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

already have that checked :(

4 minutes ago, Evann said:

Thank you. So yes, my Mainscreen is running on 144 Hertz, my Second one on 60 Hertz. (damn Windows 10, was looking in the "new" Control-Panel). 

Can it also be a Hardware Issue? Like a "broken" GTX 970? (even tho clock and everything is normal). I've been in like 20 Forums where people were complaining the same issue, over 90% of them said they have a GTX 970. 

I wouldnt consider it likely its a gfx card issue. 

I would fiddle around with your monitors on display menu see if there is anything in there that effects it.

System Specs

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

I wouldnt consider it likely its a gfx card issue. 

I would fiddle around with your monitors on display menu see if there is anything in there that effects it.

okay, thank you - will try my best. I'll only get this REAL-smooth feeling with a G-sync Monitor, right?

1 minute ago, Evann said:

okay, thank you - will try my best. I'll only get this REAL-smooth feeling with a G-sync Monitor, right?

I havent personally seen a Gsync display so im not willing to say anything about it.

System Specs

12 minutes ago, Evann said:

I'll only get this REAL-smooth feeling with a G-sync Monitor, right?

I doubt it. The entire purpose of g-sync is to eliminate screen tearing, which (in my opinion) doesn't affect the smoothness. I'd say it's rather vice-versa: Having no vertical sync could make it appear smoother, because the extra frames will get displayed, though there will be tearing. Tearing's less noticeable on 144hz monitors, though, and doesn't bother me personally.

34 minutes ago, Evann said:

Gysnc is the best thing i experienced in the last Years. No tearing, no lagging, absolutly smooth.

But i dont know what your Problem is. You should make a Video so we can understand your "unsmoothness"

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

30 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Gysnc is the best thing i experienced in the last Years. No tearing, no lagging, absolutly smooth.

But i dont know what your Problem is. You should make a Video so we can understand your "unsmoothness"

aww, recorded 10 mins of gameplay, however the recording stopped at 96% of the loadscreen (10 min recording of loadscreen "yey").

Even if i have 60FPS the game doesnt always feel smooth, like if there is microstuttering or something... sorry for my bad english :(

1 hour ago, Tosa said:

I doubt it. The entire purpose of g-sync is to eliminate screen tearing, which (in my opinion) doesn't affect the smoothness. I'd say it's rather vice-versa: Having no vertical sync could make it appear smoother, because the extra frames will get displayed, though there will be tearing. Tearing's less noticeable on 144hz monitors, though, and doesn't bother me personally.

Actually gsync adjusts your refresh rate according to what your gpu is putting out,

to eliminate tearing and also give your games a buttery smooth feel no mater how iratic the fps jumps 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

26 minutes ago, Evann said:

aww, recorded 10 mins of gameplay, however the recording stopped at 96% of the loadscreen (10 min recording of loadscreen "yey").

Even if i have 60FPS the game doesnt always feel smooth, like if there is microstuttering or something... sorry for my bad english :(

Hmm. Is your FPS jumping alot? Like from 60 to 40 and back?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Hmm. Is your FPS jumping alot? Like from 60 to 40 and back?

Yes! It really is, i always wondered. If im playing games like cs:go on 4:3 resolution my FPS jump between 250 and 100 FPS all the Time - tell me how to fix that :D.

2 minutes ago, Evann said:

Yes! It really is, i always wondered. If im playing games like cs:go on 4:3 resolution my FPS jump between 250 and 100 FPS all the Time - tell me how to fix that :D.

That is causing your Lag Problem. Limit your Frames with NVidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner to 100 and try it again.