980ti now, or wait for 1080

Tiger2921
Go to solution Solved by ander12391,

I recently upgraded from a GTX 980 to a GTX 980ti and I dont regret it. The truth of the matter is that we are always 6-9 months away from some new great tech. So I would say go ahead and get whats the best now. The rumors of Nvidia's next cards not incorporating HBM2 is also what made me pull the trigger on my GTX 980ti. With that said knowing Nvidia they are probably going to pull a rabbit our their hat and the Pascal cards are going to be amazing regardless of what kind of memory they use. And in that case I will probably still upgrade to it. However I fall into that small percentage of enthusiast that are able to upgrade their GPUs every year. But in closing you wont regret the GTX 980ti its a great GPU and I am seeing great deals on them as low as 599 for EVGA's Classified model.

I have been wanting to build a pc for a while now, but have only saved up the money to buy parts now, everything else I have figured out but what to do regarding graphics cards. I will be running an Asus PG279Q 1440p monitor capable of 60Hz - 165Hz and an i5-6600k. So what should I do? Buy a GIGABYTE 980ti G1 Gaming/MSI 980ti Gaming 6G or wait until nvidia release their 1080? (Dont suggest AMD cards as the PG279Q has G-sync)

can you wait another 6 months, that is the question, if so then yes, but then Broadwell - E will be close which will probably be worth waiting for

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

can you wait another 6 months, that is the question, if so then yes, but then Broadwell - E will be close which will probably be worth waiting for

6 months? god, thats an eternity... do you think the performance will be that big of a jump that makes waiting worth it?

im waiting

maybe you should just buy a temporary cheaper GPU for now?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

nVidia has a GPU conference this week I believe. Wait to see if any announcements are made. If not just pick up a 980 Ti now.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

8 minutes ago, Tiger2921 said:

I have been wanting to build a pc for a while now, but have only saved up the money to buy parts now, everything else I have figured out but what to do regarding graphics cards. I will be running an Asus PG279Q 1440p monitor capable of 60Hz - 165Hz and an i5-6600k. So what should I do? Buy a GIGABYTE 980ti G1 Gaming/MSI 980ti Gaming 6G or wait until nvidia release their 1080? (Dont suggest AMD cards as the PG279Q has G-sync)

you could go for the 980ti, if you want to go for SLI it could be worth it : 
Buy a 980ti now, and when the prices drop in the next 3 months or so you can buy a second one for a lot less. 
That is what I am doing anyways. 

I would personally wait for the 1080P (P as in Pascal). new 980ti cards won't drop in price with the launch of Pascal, and no one will want a used 980ti once pascal hits.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I've been saying this for months literally months, I seriously hope they call the next titan Titan V, it makes so much sense since its the 5th GTX Titan.

10 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I don't think the 6 core brodwell-e chips will be much of an improvement. But if that causes the 5820k and 5930k to drop to the $250-350 range then they'll be an excellent value.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

8 minutes ago, Schony125 said:

I would wait for the new gen

and for polaris not pascal ;)

wont be much use for his Gsync monitor :ph34r:

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

10 minutes ago, Schony125 said:

I would wait for the new gen

and for polaris not pascal ;)

definitely getting a G-Sync monitor, only nvidia cards xD

another thing is: wont it be a long time after the initial release that custom pcbs come out? (i really dont want the ugly green logo although i am aware that you can remove it)

If you choose not to wait, you will be paying full price for a 980ti.

If you wait you have the option of getting a discounted 980ti or a new gen GPU.

WAIT!

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, Tiger2921 said:

another thing is: wont it be a long time after the initial release that custom pcbs come out? (i really dont want the ugly green logo although i am aware that you can remove it)

No. It's usually within 2 weeks. Or even on launch for some generations.

2 minutes ago, Tiger2921 said:

Same boat right here! just picked up the PG279Q. I have 2 780s in SLI right now, so I can't over clock the monitor to 165hz right now, so I was thinking on getting the 980ti or wait for the 1080 to come out. The conference should be tomorrow, so let's wait and see! Super Excited!

1 minute ago, Tiger2921 said:

Usually you wait a few weeks to a month for custom cards and even longer for the special custom ones like Kingpin, Lightning, Matrix etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

6 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

wont be much use for his Gsync monitor :ph34r:

hahahaha this is what happens if you just read the title and not the  whole thing xD

4 minutes ago, Tiger2921 said:

hahahaha this is what happens if you just read the title and not the  whole thing xD

1 minute ago, GamersCouch said:

Same boat right here! just picked up the PG279Q. I have 2 780s in SLI right now, so I can't over clock the monitor to 165hz right now, so I was thinking on getting the 980ti or wait for the 1080 to come out. The conference should be tomorrow, so let's wait and see! Super Excited!

Tomorrow? That sounds better! I will listen out!

Just now, Tiger2921 said:

Tomorrow? That sounds better! I will listen out!

anyone know if there will be some kind of stream or podcast

You can pick up a used 980ti to off eBay for around $500.00 do that then 

when the 1080 ti comes out get that. 

4 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

You can pick up a used 980 to off eBay for around $500.00 do that then 

when the 1080 ti comes out get that. 

980? *goes to throw up in the toilet* that card is the worst price to performance ratio ever! at most all you have to spend to get a regular 980ti is $650

am I right everybody else?

(gamerscouch agrees) xD

Edited by Tiger2921