Need Help / Suggestions for new build

FrankH88
Go to solution Solved by BurblingBarbacoa,

This build is... Eh. To say the least. 

• I don't really reccomend the 8300. Either step down to somthing like a i3 6100 or a Athlon X4 860K or step up to somthimg like a 8350 or a i5 6400. 
  • Motherboard is good. Obviously you will have to change it if you step out of the FX lineup. 
  • Get a dual channel kit of 8gb. It will still give you better preformance now and you will still have room for 16gb. Don't consider 32gb. There is a 99.9% chance that you will not need it. 
  • The V300 is miles better than a HDD but there are much better SSDs for the money. Maybe a SanDisk Ultra II or a 850 Evo. Either go up to 480gb/500gb or get a 1tb WD Blue. 120gb will run out quick. 
  • Don't even consider 960 sli. In fact I reccomend that you get a 380 instead and then upgrade to a higher end single card when you need to. 
  • That case is... Ok I guess. If you want something a tad better look at the NZXT S210W. However having said that, the Rosewill chassis will do the job for a budget oriented rig. 
  • Power supply looks fine. Maybe step down to a better, lower wattage supply if you take my no sli advice. Maybe a 80plus gold 650w. That will hand any high end card fine. If you continue to go for 960 sli then yea 750w is absolutley fine. 
  • 21.5" is pretty small. I consider 24" to be an absolute minimum and 27" to be the sweet spot. However, if that is big enough for you then go for it. Speaking of monitors; a single 380/960 will handle 1080p fine. No real need for an upgrade anytime soon. 
  • Peripherals? Sound? 

Hope me I helped :) 

Tell me what you think :D 

EDIT: I know I am a hypocrite. I have 960sli and a v300 boot drive. Don't judge me ;) 

I am about to build a new computer mostly for gaming purposes only and have never built a computer before.

I have a few questions.....

Questions

First what wattage of PSU will I need to have to SLI two GTX 960 4gb cards? (i know that i will need the appropriate 6+2 pin connectors)

Second, if the CPU in the build (linked below) can SLI the GTX 960's?

Lastly If all the parts in my build are compatible.

What I am looking for in this build

-Cheap

-Reliable

-Upgradeable/ Future-proof (i.e. only getting one GTX 960 now and SLI another one later when I have the money)

-Includes Monitor and Operating System (since it is my first build)

-Good 1080p gaming

Link

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/FrankHarney/saved/VLbmP6

Thanks!

1 minute ago, FrankH88 said:

I am about to build a new computer mostly for gaming purposes only and have never built a computer before.

I have a few questions.....

Questions

First what wattage of PSU will I need to have to SLI two GTX 960 4gb cards? (i know that i will need the appropriate 6+2 pin connectors)

Second, if the CPU in the build (linked below) can SLI the GTX 960's?

Lastly If all the parts in my build are compatible.

What I am looking for in this build

-Cheap

-Reliable

-Upgradeable/ Future-proof (i.e. only getting one GTX 960 now and SLI another one later when I have the money)

-Includes Monitor and Operating System (since it is my first build)

-Good 1080p gaming

Link

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/FrankHarney/saved/VLbmP6

Thanks!

A. Don´t SLI 960s. Not worth it.

B. Up-gradable and future-proof? Not 960 and 8300.

C. Not the V300.

What´s your budget?

First off, you should not SLI GTX 960s. You're only opening yourself up to issues associated with SLI (microstuttering, games not utilising SLI properly if at all, more heat, more power needed).

Scrap the V300, it's crap. There's no such thing as being 'futureproof' but Intel's Skylake platform does give you a better upgrade path, and the i5 will definitely perform better than the FX 8300. It also has DDR4 if you care about that.

The R9 380 also performs better than the GTX 960 in terms of gaming performance. It's the better choice, especially when paired with an Intel i5.

Picked a nice IPS monitor to go along with the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($41.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($35.91 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($30.00 @ MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 
Monitor: Acer G237HLbi 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $675.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 20:30 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

This build is... Eh. To say the least. 

• I don't really reccomend the 8300. Either step down to somthing like a i3 6100 or a Athlon X4 860K or step up to somthimg like a 8350 or a i5 6400. 
  • Motherboard is good. Obviously you will have to change it if you step out of the FX lineup. 
  • Get a dual channel kit of 8gb. It will still give you better preformance now and you will still have room for 16gb. Don't consider 32gb. There is a 99.9% chance that you will not need it. 
  • The V300 is miles better than a HDD but there are much better SSDs for the money. Maybe a SanDisk Ultra II or a 850 Evo. Either go up to 480gb/500gb or get a 1tb WD Blue. 120gb will run out quick. 
  • Don't even consider 960 sli. In fact I reccomend that you get a 380 instead and then upgrade to a higher end single card when you need to. 
  • That case is... Ok I guess. If you want something a tad better look at the NZXT S210W. However having said that, the Rosewill chassis will do the job for a budget oriented rig. 
  • Power supply looks fine. Maybe step down to a better, lower wattage supply if you take my no sli advice. Maybe a 80plus gold 650w. That will hand any high end card fine. If you continue to go for 960 sli then yea 750w is absolutley fine. 
  • 21.5" is pretty small. I consider 24" to be an absolute minimum and 27" to be the sweet spot. However, if that is big enough for you then go for it. Speaking of monitors; a single 380/960 will handle 1080p fine. No real need for an upgrade anytime soon. 
  • Peripherals? Sound? 

Hope me I helped :) 

Tell me what you think :D 

EDIT: I know I am a hypocrite. I have 960sli and a v300 boot drive. Don't judge me ;) 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

43 minutes ago, FrankH88 said:

future proofing isn't real

but aside from that, here bit over but a better build

I'd also probably avoid a grey market key if you're going to buy a windows key, either find it in a back alley, or get a retail USB for pro.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WJPysY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WJPysY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.73 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($208.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: AOC I2269VW 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $752.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 21:07 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

34 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Picked a nice IPS monitor to go along with the build.

It's lacking VESA compatibility though, going to be nice to have the option down the road.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?